Clear All

Originally posted by COUNTRY BOY View Post
    August 20-22 at Will Rogers I belive
    Do you know what it costs to get in?

Comment

Not sure i think free if you are a member 10 if not

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoElk View Post
        I am new to the tight hunting here in Texas. Seems Public Hunting Places are few and far between so I am looking for areas close to Weatherford to try out. Are there any close that still have permit available? I know Whitney is a couple hours away (from what I have been told). Is Aquilla closer?
        Lake Benbrook is closer to you, but they have a drawing to determine who gets one of their permits. Applications for the drawing have to be submitted by 12 noon, Aug. 18, 2010 at the Benbrook Lake Office. So, you'll have to hurry if you want to try for that one.

Comment

For those that are new to hunting these two projects, I'll give ya a little help (and I did say a little ): pay attention to lake level elevations. They will have a defining effect on wild life habits. They know where to go when the lake rises and when it falls. Make notes as to where you see game and the lake level. It will pay off over the years

Inforamtion curtesy of Ft. Worth district ACEO web sight.

Lake Whitney:
          Currently at 531.40 elvation
          conservation pool level (normal) is 533

Lake Aquilla:
          Currently 536.52
          conservation pool level (normal) is 537.5
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            For those that are new to hunting these two projects, I'll give ya a little help (and I did say a little ): pay attention to lake level elevations. They will have a defining effect on wild life habits. They know where to go when the lake rises and when it falls. Make notes as to where you see game and the lake level. It will pay off over the years

Inforamtion curtesy of Ft. Worth district ACEO web sight.

Lake Whitney:
            Currently at 531.40 lelvation
            conservation pool level (normal) is 533

Lake Aquilla:
            Currently 536.52
            conservation pool level (normal) is 537.5
            Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by COUNTRY BOY View Post
              Dang LW she's gettin big fast they grow up so fast don't they mines 2 goin on 3 and it seems like just yesterday we were bringin him home Justin hows mama doin good I hope and let us know how it turns out for ya and remember if ya don't have a pic it didn't happen LOL
              From the pics, I'd think he's pretty good at grow-n babbies, and grow-n bucks . Course, all yall young fellers would be do-n that

Comment

What would be the best way for all of us not to step on each others toes this season

Comment

Originally posted by Kadda&Ben View Post
                  What would be the best way for all of us not to step on each others toes this season
                  I have come to except that as just part of hunting there. One of the trade-offs of not leasing. It happens to me, and I sometimes do it too. When I do it, I try to acknowledge the fact with a freindly wave to the other person and back out. Then find another way around. Most of the time, When it happens to me, I just let the person walk on past without saying anything (unless they start to set up in the same tree I'm in .) Sometimes that person will bump deer back to you when walking past you. Opening weekend is the worst on this.

There were over 2700 permits issued last season. 14000 acres / 2700 permits = 5.185 acres per hunter. Course not all were deer hunters. But a majority are. The sight currently says just over 2500 permits. But I remember it being just over 2700 by May. Cause I took someone down there for a rooter hunt then.

Comment

I was going ask about the significance of the water level.

I see it affects game movement. Should have known. Makes sense.

So does it just cause them to use different routes as their usual routes fill with water?

Comment

As far as steppin on toes, just watch for sign of other hunters when scouting. most scout an area for a while before they hunt. look for ground blinds, corn piles, empty boat beached on a shore line, etc... sometimes it just happens, what ya gonna do? I jump in my boat, and try and get to as remote of a spot as possible. I personally have never walked up on another hunter, i don't think? been huntin aquilla for about 4 years.

Comment

the futher you travel in on corp the less likely your going to get messed with. Alot of the hunters on the first weekend will setup within 500 yards of the gate. Just get as deep and as far away from the gates as you can and your luck will improve. This only applies to WHITNEY. At AQUILLA you should hunt as close to the gate as possible, or even the parking lot. TG the resident long beard here shot a 174" buck at Whitney. Twice....and missed 2 180" deer before he got his Elite Judge...

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
                          ............ TG the resident long beard here shot a 174" buck at Whitney. Twice....and missed 2 180" deer before he got his Elite Judge...
                          Cool notes Eric . But everyone knows that Whitney don't have any deer and was really at Aquilla . J/K ya brother. We will have to G-2-g some time very soon !

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyNR View Post
                            I was going ask about the significance of the water level.

I see it affects game movement. Should have known. Makes sense.

So does it just cause them to use different routes as their usual routes fill with water?
                            Not so much as a different route as they alter their current route, unless it floods. Then they move all togeather to a different area. But once the water begins to receed, they begin useing thier old areas again, even if they have a little water in them. I have seen them in slightly flooded areas where the water was 0 to 24" deep. Sometimes they will bed up on little dry spots and wade around eating the soft waterladen vegitation. Then and again, I've seen them swim creeks back and forth as part of a semi-natural route. Some young bucks love to swim .

Comment

One more thought this morning (for now): Keep a second area ready as an alternative hunting spot incase it floods or someone is already in your area.

I have been watching the fluctuations in the Brazos River System basin since the lake level was brought up last fall. Currently, all projects are with in two feet, or slightly above, of “top conservation pool level” except one. And it is with in 3 foot of top Conservation level. We had a very unusual experience back in 1990 under similar conditions. Then the rains came from the upper Brazos basin and the lake reached 28 feet above conservation pool level. It didn’t happen just once but three times by 1991. Twice it was at +28 ft. and once at 32 ft. There was a tremendous amount of damage, not to just local folk but to the farming communities further down stream. Lands, crops, equipment, and much more were lost. The system really fascinates me sometimes. And the upper reaches have diverse reactions pending conditions. Such as, anything that flows from Possum Kingdom will enter Grandbury. And Grandbury dose no have much of a flood plan, maybe 2 foot most of the time. So they have to release water early to keep the high water crest of PK from over flooding all the communities of Granbury. Hence, the upper portion of Whitney begins to rise with clutter, debris, and log jams, as it flows into the lower lake.

I just hope who ever is responsible for the current river system elevations can keep a handle on it all.

I have seen all the gates fully open at the Whitney Dam, and at Grandbury Dam. PK was fully open too, at the same time.

Comment

I'm ready for it to get here I know that much. Not too sure on where I'll be but I know all I'll see are squirrels cuz there ain't no deer down there. This will be my 6th year to hunt down there.

Comment

Working...
                                X