No announcement yet.

What mechanical for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot this one last week with a 1 3/8" grim reaper did a great job and only went 40 yds after shot.

Comment

Rage 2 blade in the boiler room does it everytime for me

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
        Rage 2 blade in the boiler room does it everytime for me
        What if you get a tad forward on accident?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          If it hits a shoulder bone you're screwed without a big rifle lol... I really started this thread to get people riled up

I know my 1 3/8 reapers will more than be enough unless an elk is tougher to penetrate than kudu, sable, and eland

The hypos look to be a great penetrating head as well.. Just in case I decide against it I have packed my exodus and ramcats

Comment

There's a good chance thats gonna be a problem on an elk size animal with a mechanical! Saw it first hand!
            Last edited by ShaBow; 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
              There's a good chance thats gonna be a problem on an elk size animal with a mechanical! Saw it first hand!
              Ok im writting that down since It was about a Rage!

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                I shot a bull and a cow near rifle Colorado. A couple years ago. Was using rage two blade. It was my fault. Shot placement. But I hit shoulder and didnt get enough penetration and I am shooting 68 pounds I would recommend shuttle t locks.

Wouldn't of matter if you used a fixed or not depending where in the shoulder

Comment

ulmer edge or hypo.

If the hypo would come in a 1.5 low KE version make a great elk head.

I saw a 100yard passtru on a mulie this year using ulmer. Pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

If the hypo would come in a 1.5 low KE version make a great elk head.

The do. Its called a German Kenetic XL.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      Wouldn't of matter if you used a fixed or not depending where in the shoulder
                      On a shoulder hit on any animal the odds are in favor of a good COC head vs mechanical. I hit my elk this year in the shoulder(rearward) and I had a complete pass through at 40yds with a Magnus Stinger.I honestly don't think a mechanical would have done the job.Too bad you can't duplicate the exact shot with 2 different heads and see the results!

Comment

Ok im writting that down since It was about a Rage!
                        I have no problem with Rage or other mechanicals for whitetail size animals but I won't use them on elk size game and after what I witnessed this year my mind ain't changing!Oh did I mention I still use WB's on elk though!

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                          On a shoulder hit on any animal the odds are in favor of a good COC head vs mechanical. I hit my elk this year in the shoulder(rearward) and I had a complete pass through at 40yds with a Magnus Stinger.I honestly don't think a mechanical would have done the job.Too bad you can't duplicate the exact shot with 2 different heads and see the results!
                          I'll try to shoot mine right in the shoulder with the grim reaper to see

Comment

Originally posted by Saltej_77 View Post
                            Grim Reaper 1 3/8"
                            This one

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              I'll try to shoot mine right in the shoulder with the grim reaper to see
                              Hit him in the shoulder bone and my $ is on the elk.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                                Hit him in the shoulder bone and my $ is on the elk.
                                Yea mine too with any broadhead

To hit bone other than ribs you gotta make a pretty bad shot.. They don't run through the middle of the shoulder
                                Last edited by bphillips; 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X