No announcement yet.

What mechanical for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alot of outfitters won't let you use mechanical heads.

Comment

I can use mechanicals thanks though.. When did an elk become a magical creature to good for a mechanical head?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        I can use mechanicals thanks though.. When did an elk become a magical creature to good for a mechanical head?
        No one said an elk was a magical creature just stating my experience and the opinion of the outfitter with 25yrs in the elk outfitting business.You can do fine with a mechanical.The friend I talked about in my previous post has killed elk with Rage but he won't bring a mechanical in the elk woods any longer.IMHO I believe if he would have been using a COC head he would have that bull and so does he. If you have good momentum(arrow weight) with your set-up you will probably be ok!Probably is just not good enough for me! Shoot whichever you choose and good luck with your hunt!
        Last edited by ShaBow; 10-12-2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Well I've got both of these so I might just flip a coin and hope for the best.

Comment

I use Rage on whitetail but I wouldn't use them on larger animals, too much that could go wrong. Why risk it?

Comment

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't trust mechanicals for elk. Between the thickness of their hide, their bones and just brute toughness.....I would really stick with fixed blades. I had a hunter this year who literally came to hunt with 10 packs of Rage's.....he shot an elk and the Rage literally broke upon impact and penetrated about 2 inches. Needless to say, he left me with every Rage he had......and I sold them. Like I said, this is just my opinion, but I would leave them at home.

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't trust mechanicals for elk. Between the thickness of their hide, their bones and just brute toughness.....I would really stick with fixed blades. I had a hunter this year who literally came to hunt with 10 packs of Rage's.....he shot an elk and the Rage literally broke upon impact and penetrated about 2 inches. Needless to say, he left me with every Rage he had......and I sold them. Like I said, this is just my opinion, but I would leave them at home.
                What broke? Blades or ferrule?

Never used the hypos but I know the reapers will work.

Comment

Rage Ti. Shwacker. Slick Trick Nuke.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    Rage Ti. Shwacker. Slick Trick Nuke.
                    I was waiting on you to come and call me an idiot

No hypos Ragin'?
                    I know the 1 3/8 reaper will work after Africa but I like to see new stuff as well as long as it isn't a weak head.

By the way fellas I'm shooting Obsession Knightmare at 70/30 with 474gr arrow.

Comment

I was waiting on you to come and call me an idiot

No hypos Ragin'?
                      I know the 1 3/8 reaper will work after Africa but I like to see new stuff as well as long as it isn't a weak head.

By the way fellas I'm shooting Obsession Knightmare at 70/30 with 474gr arrow.
                      I hv not tried the Hypos yet. If they are 90% of the Ti's they will be evil!

Comment

What broke? Blades or ferrule?

Never used the hypos but I know the reapers will work.
                        Blades broke. I have a picture of it here somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

Comment

I wouldnt give wooden nickle for all the aluminum rage's out there. The Ti's are waaaaay tougher. I blew an entire ferrule apart with the aluminum 2 inch on a whitetail. I got back on him multiple times that day and could see the impact with my binos. A stouter head and he woulda been dead. Saw him on tc a week later. He was in bad shape. I never saw him again and I doubt he made it. I tested the Ti's on a fresh deer kill. Shot it quartering to right in above the ball joint where the humerous and the scapula conect. It bent the coc tip a tad and that is it. It destroyed the bone. There is a thread on here with pics of it all.

Comment

MY brother shot a buck with a rage and footage shows a great shot at 15 yards complete pass but never found the buck he got he rest of them and put them in the fire pit......he now shoots the G5....

Comment

I had 2 blades laying on the ground where he stood. They were on the impact side. And a carbon shart sticking out of the off shoulder. And no I dont have pics. Since I carry my binos hunting and not a camera.

On a positive note the blades were in good shape.
                              Last edited by JW; 10-13-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Good fixed blade...

Comment

Working...
                                X