No announcement yet.

DIY trapping a Coyote/cat/coon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're gonna try to trap some coons off the feeders in Young Cty this weekend if it's worth anyone's time to come get them. I have too much work to do to skin coons, but I will shoot them in the ear with a .22 if anyone wants'em.

Comment

Ok, I finally got out and set some traps. 7 coyote/cat and 7 coon traps.

Here was the first dirt hole set

You can see the hole and the trap location. The white is the wax paper pan cover.

Here you can see everything covered up and I added a few logs for a backing. Duke #4 double staked with 2-24" rebar stakes

Here is a urine post... Didn't get a pic of the trap before I covered it but there just below the log

Same trap as above

Here is another dirt hole with a duke #3 on a drag. I places the drag in the brush above the dirt hole and covered it with dirt and stick to hide it

Here is another dirt hole with a white rock as the backing.

And after it's all covered up

Another urine set with a white rock as the backing

Another dirt hole

And another

And some dp coon drapes with a band full of dry Catt food and a spoon fool of can cat food mixed with a can I sardines

Comment

Looks good brother!!!

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Yanta why do u fill the dp's so full?

Comment

Yanta those look pretty good you make the urine set similar to mine. Just a ? How far back from the hole on the dirt hole so you set your trap? I usually set mine around 6-7" an it seems to miss some yours look a lil further back. But man they look good

Comment

I like mine 8-10 inches back and offset a few inches.

Comment

I just missed a cat again today he came in from the side stepped 1" from the pan. Between the pan an the hole that's twice. Lol I have to figure this out

Comment

That happens brother....experiment with guide sticks or quarter size rocks to get them closer to your pan.

Or make a cubby set!!

Comment

Cats are the one animal that you can crowd with guide sticks or small rocks to place their foot right where you want it!
                      Last edited by Flint knapper; 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Good thread, i'm following as i recently started trapping myself.
                        I set half a dozen duke 1.5 today and can't wait to see what i got tomorrow.

Comment

Lol...I get the same way...

On monday we are rolling out 38 coon sets and 4 beaver sets on a section of river..

And still have our 15 coyote/cat sets out on two ranches as well as two hog traps

Going to be a super busy week for me next week...

Anyone want to ride along??

Tuseday through thursday.. parker county/weatherford area

Comment

I just put a hand full of dry cat food in the bottom of the DP and the a spoon full of can cat food on top so they look full but really aren't.

I try and set 9" back and about 3" offset but I just eye ball them.

No coyotes today but did miss one on a urine post(third pic I posted yesterday) had the trap too close to the log backing. So this morning I moved the log back a little.
                            Had a coon and a opposum in the dp's

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a coyote or two.

Comment

I still have about 14 more 1.5 coon traps I want to get out and 2 more coyote sets.... Wish I had another doz coyote/ cat traps.

Comment

Just so everyone knows...hold off on any fur sales..the first big Nafa auction begins on monday!!!

Its go time and we will finally get a look at what wild fur prices will be.

Ranck mink sold at roughly 50% of last years prices but sold 100% of all offerings at the Kopenhagen sale.
                                Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 02-15-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X