DIY trapping a Coyote/cat/coon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
    This is my plan. I got my $10 bag of cat food and now just have to order the fish oil. I plan on mixing it in a 1 gallon ziplock with not much fish oil at all because that smell will spread into the woods easy.

Any place to buy fish oil in person or cheap online in 1/2 or 1 gallon without a ton of shipping costs?
    While you’re waiting for the fish oil to come in, Go and buy a can or 2 of sardines in soybean oil. mix a can with some cat food and set your traps. I also mix some strawberry jam with dry cat food for DP traps. The jam won’t have the calling lure like the sardines or fish oil but the coons love the sweat jam.

I’ve read on trapperman that some fish oils on the market are a synthetic oil and taste really bad for the coons…It will draw them in but once they taste that stuff they will stop eating your bait….Just and FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
      Broken legs come from lack of swivel points..
      Pull outs come from no swivel. Catch a coon with a #5 bridger and tell me his foot isn't messed up.
      Last edited by DWA; 02-12-2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
        Pull outs come from no swivel. Catch a coon with a #5 bridger and tell me his foot isn't messed up.
        Don't get confused between a animal having enough room to chew on its foot vs. broken bones and what causes both, regardless of trap size weather or not the animal has sufficient swivel opportunities is what breaks legs...small animal in a large trap...chances are the animal is going to get into a bind and break a leg if it cant swivel and spin freely.

Pullouts happen for two reasons, one the animal had a partial catch/poor catch, the other is a strong animal and a trap that is equipped with a poorly designed side mounted swivel allowing the animal to pull from one single direction and get out.

This thread was established by a man that is wanting to disseminate quality information, lets keep it that way please. Some of those posting to this thread (me included) have over 30 yrs experience trapping animals on multiple levels for gov/state and private entities.

Please don't take this wrong...but I want this thread to remain at a quality level with very clean good advice for beginners to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
          While you’re waiting for the fish oil to come in, Go and buy a can or 2 of sardines in soybean oil. mix a can with some cat food and set your traps. I also mix some strawberry jam with dry cat food for DP traps. The jam won’t have the calling lure like the sardines or fish oil but the coons love the sweat jam.

I’ve read on trapperman that some fish oils on the market are a synthetic oil and taste really bad for the coons…It will draw them in but once they taste that stuff they will stop eating your bait….Just and FYI
          That was my plan

Buy cheapest sardine can and then shop around today for the cheapest oil and get that on order for the next round of traps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
            You need to ditch your baits all together, they all work don't get me wrong but what you need is something that will cast a bigger scent.

Order a half gallon of fish oil (SMELLS) and mix just enough to cat cheap hard cat food. your catches will go up, you can even buy a actual coon lure to make a even louder scent to bring them in.

ALOT of people paint their dps white for visual attraction...I don't do it , don't want humans stealing my traps...

I would rather rely on animal sign and my baits/lures ..
            Good to hear, I ordered the fish oil yesterday. And smart thinking about the human thiefs

Comment

Acetone pole for skunks only or do you use it on other critters?

If not for other critters what tech do you use to dispatch? .22 to the head?

Comment

Yes acetone for skunks and everything else gets a 22 short or cb cap to the head. Sometimes I will shoot coyotes with a 22 behind the shoulder so there no blood. head shots bleed a lot.

A lot of people will choke a cat out with a catch poll and club coons and other smaller critter with a club.

Comment

I will post some pictures of set and trapping stuff as soon as I get time to go set some out. I'm hoping this will be friday afternoon....So hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                    Yes acetone for skunks and everything else gets a 22 short or cb cap to the head. Sometimes I will shoot coyotes with a 22 behind the shoulder so there no blood. head shots bleed a lot.

A lot of people will choke a cat out with a catch poll and club coons and other smaller critter with a club.
                    DANG....not me to club or beat, would rather shoot. Easier too

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                      DANG....not me to club or beat, would rather shoot. Easier too
                      Same here. We bring the .22, .223 AR, .22 pistol, and 9mm. We like to switch it up

Nothing like seeing your trap from 75yards with a coon in it and then breaking out the AR

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                        Same here. We bring the .22, .223 AR, .22 pistol, and 9mm. We like to switch it up

Nothing like seeing your trap from 75yards with a coon in it and then breaking out the AR
                        Don't know if I would blast a coon with a .223/5.56 or 9mm if I was going to sell the fur

Comment

I use the acetone for skunks only....and I'll do a how too today...I have one that is in a Dp, lol

All the other animals get 22 CB caps...

Comment

I guess what I was really looking for is to find out if it made a difference if the fur had a bullet hole when it comes time to sell

Comment

Shoot them in the ear canal with a 22 short - thinest membrane to the brain and quick death. Or you can use a catch pole on them and depress their sides which will deflate their lungs and they'll expire. 22 is usually quicker and safer for most.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                Don't know if I would blast a coon with a .223/5.56 or 9mm if I was going to sell the fur
                                Neither do I, but we aren't selling it. Just doing some predator control, learning, and havin fun

Comment

Working...
                                X