No announcement yet.

DIY trapping a Coyote/cat/coon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question, I see that ya'll are running #4 for coyotes and bobcats. I have #1 3/4 will those work for coyotes and bobcats? Dukes website says that is what they are for and the trap and pan look plenty big enough for both? Should I switch up? I just am getting into this and just ran my first 12 traps and caught 4 coons and 2 possums.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
      Quick question, I see that ya'll are running #4 for coyotes and bobcats. I have #1 3/4 will those work for coyotes and bobcats? Dukes website says that is what they are for and the trap and pan look plenty big enough for both? Should I switch up? I just am getting into this and just ran my first 12 traps and caught 4 coons and 2 possums.
      I've caught coyotes in the 1 3/4 before, so they will work for coyotes. I would think they would work for cats also....I would try them since you already have them. If you get a pull outs then you can buy bigger traps later.

Comment

Didn't read all, but sounds good. I used black walnut, as a dye,with the husk nice and black. Worked for me years ago.

Comment

Looks good guys. Mine are gettin dyed tonight

Comment

So you just put the wax right in with your already hot dye water? How do you recover it for reuse?

Comment

Just got my traps in the mail today. Time for the coyotes to pay for the chickens they've stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by jmangrem View Post
                So you just put the wax right in with your already hot dye water? How do you recover it for reuse?
                Yes and since the wax floats it will harden on top of he water when it cools. Then I just pull off the block of wax and store it In a trash bag until the next time I need it.

Comment

Should u be able to feel the wax on the traps? Done w the dye and I started waxin 1/2 dozen at a time but its still chalky on outside a bit?

Comment

Never mind. Lower the water temp a bit, got a thin coat now

Comment

So after you get done getting your traps ready how do you go about setting them and finding the right place and do you use scent.

Comment

I was going to go out this afternoon and set some out but had some stuff come up. I will try and get a few sets out this week. I normally just go with a dirt hole set with some coyote urine and gland lure. With some meat bait in the hole.
                        Last edited by yanta61; 02-09-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

This is all new to me. What do you mean when you say pan cover

Comment

And is there a place to sell hides and is there a season and type of license you need

Comment

You will need a trappers license and yes there is a season nov 1 to march 31 for most fur bearers. A pan cover is something that goes over the pan so when you cover the trap in dirt nothing gets under the pan. I use a piece of wax paper

Comment

The pan is the trapping mechanism that holds the trap set right. Like I said I am just now starting. Have lots of land with lots of coyotes. What bout selling hides

Comment

Working...
                                X