Why Are You Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Believe it or not, I learned about TBH in a Men's Bible Study Class back close to the "turn of the century"... started to lurk and read some incredible stories of folks helping folks, got answers to archery, hunting, and fishing questions, and read some incredible stories of hunts, saw great Velvet Elvis's.... It seemed like a community that I'd like to become a part of, so I joined... I was fortunate enough to have gotten to know on line and personally folks like TuthDoc, Gold, and so, so many others of the original "Renegades" that made this community what it is...

Since that time, I have made friends that I'd never have had the chance of knowing that will endure for the rest of our lives... This community helped me through one of the darkest hours of my life, and I've seen similar things happen to and by many on here...

I am here because I want to be here... I get mad enough sometimes when we get into family squabbles to just log off and never come back... but that's not what folks who care about each other do. They work through it and continue to love and support each other...

There are a small number of those who are newcomers (for the most part) that just don't get it, and just like any other campfire, when someone wears out their welcome, they should get their stump kicked out from under them and shown the gate. THAT I think has been a weakness of the admins. and even you Michael... You guys (and gals) go WAY out of your way to try to preserve everyone's ability to participate to the detriment of the overall community... I was thrilled to read your post this morning Michael and I look forward to a more peaceful community.

Regarding the various subforums and even regulated "sports" posts in the main forum, as large a community as we are, there are bound to be different likes/dislikes amongst us and within reason, I am of the opinion that those interests and opinions should be allowed to be expressed within the guidelines of the overall goals and objectives of the forum. For instance, if this was my forum, there'd be NO blasted football threads, or college sports threads... they deteriorate into chaos quicker than anything I can imagine, and I have absolutely NO interest in them... Many others do. I believe they should be able to enjoy their campfire discussions there just like I enjoy the political campfire... Others don't... Difference is, those who don't enjoy the PACE forum all want it banned!! When all they really need to do is not go there... Someone posted on this thread that the PACE forum is just like CNN, MSNBC and Fox, etc... Well I strongly disagree. Many of the topics of discussion that are currently ongoing in that forum are nowhere mentioned on any of those networks... they censor many topics if it does not fit their agenda... In a community when censorship becomes the tool to control the members of the community, it is not a healthy community.

I personally would not want to see any subject banned, but rather operate within guidelines and a swift, strong and if necessary permanent response to those who do not follow the defined parameters of a forum be administered. And for the record, I'm happy to serve in any capacity that may be of service to this community to that end.

I'll close by saying that I look forward to doing a thread search here in a bit to see if those I have "ignored" made your list too!! One from East Texas I see already has!!

Thanks boss!
    Very well stated, could not agree more. I came here a while ago but no where near as long as others. Came to see and read others hunting stories of success and failure, as well as expand my abilities and knowledge from the equipment and tuning forum as I’m a DIY guy and don’t care for bow shops all that much.

In the seemingly short 10 years I’ve been here it’s changed a lot whether for the better or worse but I’m still here and don’t plan on leaving any time soon. I love to bow hunt and this is about the only place I can talk and hear from others who share that passion as all my family and friends have either put their bows down for their bang sticks or never got into it.

Comment

Like in life, we matriculate to like minded people. So I go to TBH and look to it first for information from fixing my pool to new hunting techniques and even ghost stories

Why not just lock the antagonizing, uncivil, mean spirited posts and posters and let the rest thrive?

Comment

I'm here because I love the outdoors and bow hunting in general. I love tuning bows and learning about hunting methods. I don’t mind the political post it gives me an idea of the mood of the nation. There are a lot of topics I stay away from mostly on the campfire page..

I don't want to be a member of a site that forces people to think one way .. I.E. let's get rid of this or that section or ban this or that person for disagreeing with me..

I quit looking at 2 cool fishing because of the "think my way or else " mentality.

Comment

Me too.

"I quit looking at 2 cool fishing because of the "think my way or else " mentality."

Comment

I joined years ago from a recommendation from a buddy. I was pretty young. I wanted to learn about bow hunting and overall be a better hunter. I was a mouthy know it all teenager. But I met a ton of good folks over the years. Learned a ton about bow hunting. And continue to learn. Learned a metric ton of gun stuff too and have made lifelong friends from both. I’ve made a lot of mistakes over the years. Whether that be how I react and what I post to who I talk to. In many ways this place has helped me mature and learn outside of hunting. And obviously I have more to go .
            I have met folks who I ended up working with/for and furthered my career beyond my imagination from a hunting forum. To folks that have helped in some times I was struggling and on the flip side allowed me to return that favor to others.
            The many prayer threads and daily bible verses have helped me stay close to God when I needed him most.

I have met lifelong friends that invited me onto a lease and ended up killing a deer far bigger than I ever dreamed I would in central Texas.

I have met gunsmiths and hunting buddies.

And from my early days is a freaking miracle the mods didn’t boot me for the way I acted. And I do still have my moments. I don’t sugar coat things. I speak my mind when I probably shouldn’t. That has helped me and hurt me over the years.
            I don’t kiss ***. I don’t suck up. And that partly stems from that.

2020 was a **** show for everyone. We lost my father in law to cancer. My grandfather is dying from it. My brother in law is now fighting it as well. Then throw in the election garbage and it has brought out some things and actions from everyone that usually are easily controlled. Myself included.

I’m guilty of firing shots off in the Q thread when I think it’s insanity. I share some of the same hope as a lot in that thread but view the Q approach different. I never should have got involved and just read. Still finely tuning this big red machine

Thankfully by some grace of God the mods have allowed me to stay. I’ve been fortunate to get lots of help from here and help a ton of folks with things I know well.
            It’s a family. Same as a normal family where maybe the in-laws or a cousin is certified nuts! Lol. And I know there will continue to be issues. I think I’ve come a long way and still have a ways to go. I like having a place full of resources like we have here and appreciate the work that goes into it.
            I have stayed away from the politics portion until this election. Think it’s time to stay out of again.

Thanks Michael and Mary and Casey and the others. Far easier to turn the switch off on things but you haven’t. Sometimes good sometimes bad. But thank you.

That may be a lot of rambling. I’m not a writer. But there you have it.
            Last edited by trophy8; 01-08-2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Why Are You Here?

Being honest, I check the PACE forum strictly for entertainment. I won’t go into details, just speaking truth. I’m sure some will take an issue with that.
              Can’t get enough of the other forums. Out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by psicoo; 01-08-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I am in favor of draining that swamp!

Comment

I joined in 1999. I asked the famous “which broadhead is best question”. I had been out of Bowhunting for a while and got back in after buying a Jennings Buckmaster G2 from Ed, he was like a falcon hunter guy and I can’t remember his screen name. I’ve bought and sold a lot of items over the years and met a lot of TBH members. I sold a rifle to Jaspro and bought one from Spur when Cameron was a little kid. I’ve gotten sucked into the political stuff from time to time but overall this is a great site. I’ve met Mary and Casey (San Antonio HH) but never Michael but one of these day would like to shake your hand. Thanks for all you do for our Bowhunting community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I have a question for the dissenters of the PACE forum. If it bothers you so much, why even go in there?

If you are here for the hunting/bowhunting and don’t care to look at the PACE forum there are several sub forums dedicated to those items. No one is forcing you to go into a forum you don’t want to see.

When a site grows as much as TBH has, you are going to have people that have different interests. I loved TBH when it was much smaller, but when Michael had to switch platforms to a more modern, familiar one its only natural that membership would explode and not everyone is going to agree on everything.

IMO if the Pace is shut down then the political posts will go back to the campfire. If Michael bans PACE and then everyone that posts a political thread in the campfire is then banned then membership will definitely shrink. Whether or not that’s good for the site remains to be seen and is ultimately Michael’s decision. I will say that a few members are just plain ****ty to other members that have differing views and that is likely what will influence his decision. You can disagree with someone and not be a jerk, even to the agitators that post from time to time.

I wonder if the platform has a way to select which forums individuals do/don’t want to see? For those that just hate the PACE forum they could just “turn it off” and not even see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I agree Mike.
                    Actually I noticed CE threads don't show up on the home page. I think that is why threads get started there when something occurs
                    Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    I'm with you on that .
                    Nobody is forced to go there, so why go, get your feelings hurt and then complain about it?
                    Makes no sense.
                    Make it where you gotta be 18, have a separate login, etc..that way we know they went there on purpose, and their hurt feelings have no validity at that point.
                    A lot of us feel our way of life is about to change and not for the better.
                    These discussions are important to a lot of us, and a lot of us, do no other social media.
                    Seems kinda childish we have to shut down a discussion board over name calling or whatever trivial matter the next member will complain about.
                    Well I disagree with your premise about if they decide to frequent the forum they should expect abuse.
                    Grown folk should be able to disagree with calling each other sheep, Nancy, Karen, or using terms that have a derogatory intent or interpretation to them. If that is what one uses to try to impose their opinion as fact and shout down others with typed words then I don't see the need for that person to be involved in the discussion. Either show respect to the membership or get banned in my opinion. Regardless of what forum you're posting in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Why Are You Here?

Personally I think all this political BS needs to be somewhere besides TBH. Didn’t agree with what the Dems did late 2020, and dang sure don’t agree with what people did on the 6th. Basically my theory is, stupid people play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

Me and the wife are about to get into it, both of us are Republican but I am about tired of all her worrying BS.

Let’s talk hunting!

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Why are you here?

"why am I here?"
                        I am here for the deer.
                        thanks for tbh Michael

Comment

I am here because the majority of the folks here I can relate with.
                          I enjoy the cfb thread because it’s by far my favorite sport. I enjoy the hunting pics with kids and wives involved. I enjoy the diy threads with the awesome builds. I enjoy when this community comes together to help those in need.
                          This is by far my favorite forum. I don’t do Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media.
                          I don’t watch msm because I can’t stomach the left wing liberal bias.
                          I come to the pace forum to keep up with today’s politics, and for that reason I hope it stays.
                          I also understand from a moderator standpoint, it’s probably a pain in the ***...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            I am here because the majority of the folks here I can relate with.
                            I enjoy the hunting pics with kids and wives involved. I enjoy the diy threads with the awesome builds. I enjoy when this community comes together to help those in need.
                            This is by far my favorite forum. I don’t do Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media.
                            I don’t watch msm because I can’t stomach the left wing liberal bias.
                            I come to the pace forum to keep up with today’s politics, and for that reason I hope it stays.
                            I also understand from a moderator standpoint, it’s probably a pain in the ***...
                            Same here, summed up perfectly, minus the CFB.

And trying real hard to avoid the "without a shower" and "shower frequency" threads.

Comment

Everyone should be "here for the deer" and related hunting information, tips, stories, techniques and general camaraderie of hunters and outdoorsmen and women. I've learned tons of information about traditional archery equipment, its usage and hunting techniques -- not to mention making some great friends through TBH.

That doesn't mean that we have to ignore things that may have larger impacts on all of us and society in general. In fact, now more than ever, we need a place to share thoughts and information about events of the day. Anyone notice the massive purging of conservative voices on all the major social media platforms going on right now -- up to and including the banning of the sitting President of the United States?

No one is forced to venture into the waters of discourse in the Politics and Current Events Forum. And, it's really not that hard to have civil discussions. Thanks, Michael, for hosting this wonderful community.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                Randy- does this mean I cant ridicule you? Dang it.

Aw, Glen, you know you are going to do it anyway! You also know I can take it from my friends and those who I know and know me. You also know I can dish it out! . Those derelict pirates you hang with, including your buddy Garca, are bad influences on you! They are the kind your mama told you to stay away from! [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                Can i still make fun of Randy is my question?

Glen, you awake? See above.

Comment

Working...
                                X