Abbot's Executive Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
    Never knew how many epidemiologists and infectious disease experts we had on the GS...I’m sure it’s all just a huge government conspiracy to strip all of our freedoms. Carry on.
    Nice play!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of facts and figures and projections presented here. But who's going to pay the bills?

Some (dale) have laid it out well, their thinking, based in reality. For the SIP advocates, what's the end date? Gotta pay bills, that's not debatable.

Comment

Have there been any estimates as to the amount of suicides there will be due to unemployment and the lasting effects of this economy? I would be curious to know what the lasting effects will be to tanking our economy. Will things start back up again?
        Absolutely. Will they go right back to where they were? Absolutely not. This economic change will take a long time to bounce back.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
          Lots of facts and figures and projections presented here. But who's going to pay the bills?

Some (dale) have laid it out well, their thinking, based in reality. For the SIP advocates, what's the end date? Gotta pay bills, that's not debatable.
          I hope Dale sees this bro

Comment

This year the flu was bad and projected to kill 62k. Good news is with everyone social distancing there have only been 52,300 deaths and 91 children in the US. So there is a bright side. With the warming weather the flu season should be on the downhill
            Last edited by glen; 04-01-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Watch the real story from a real doctor

How this stuff kills you and why to not catch it
              I hope everyone watches what that Aggie Doctor has to say. Sobering to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                I hope everyone watches what that Aggie Doctor has to say. Sobering to say the least.
                Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                  He's a good dude. It's not a virus to take lightly.

Italy's mortality by age.

Comment

I think one thing that's making this hard to grasp is the variability of the impact across the country. There are some areas of our contry, currently the north east, that are being hit a lot harder than others. So here in Texas we aren't seeing the massive numbers or the full ER's. If these projections are correct we won't exceed max bed capacity here in Texas. But a few hours away in New Orleans they are and will continue to till they hopefully peak sometime next week or so.

This is a good site that allows you to see the impact in different states as opposed to just the nation as a whole.
                    http://https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR05-tFUUgdGtWF3Y32-2mHh9JWTVI-XiNq0ydx6Ua_y4NN7DhiEnelT4U8

Comment

He makes some **** good points. Yall taking about how are you going to pay the bills?
                      Who is going to pay the bills?

The Dr question is how are you going to pay to bury your dead when you been out of work for 3 months, or you small buisness has closed down 3 months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        I think one thing that's making this hard to grasp is the variability of the impact across the country. There are some areas of our contry, currently the north east, that are being hit a lot harder than others. So here in Texas we aren't seeing the massive numbers or the full ER's. If these projections are correct we won't exceed max bed capacity here in Texas. But a few hours away in New Orleans they are and will continue to till they hopefully peak sometime next week or so.

This is a good site that allows you to see the impact in different states as opposed to just the nation as a whole.
                        http://https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR05-tFUUgdGtWF3Y32-2mHh9JWTVI-XiNq0ydx6Ua_y4NN7DhiEnelT4U8
                        Those are only projections and currently not even close. i have some friends in New Orleans and they are in nursing. They have been laid off, not that busy.

Comment

Nurses are getting hurt as well. I have a lot of friends that work at our local Level 1 trauma CTR. They are sending folks home and they are not happy about it. I was told it’s like waiting for a forecasted storm. She said almost no car wreck trauma but lots of folks getting hurt on bicycles and doing home projects. She said maybe 50% of what she is accustomed to at most.

Comment

47,857 people tested, 3,997 positive, .08%. The REAL question is how many people have it that aren't tested. That means the survival rate is even greater. 3,997 cases, 58 fatalities in TEXAS, .0145% mortality rate. Are the numbers going to go up, definitely! They are testing more people. Do I believe this virus is nasty to a person with underlying issues, you betcha! Do I think we should close down business and shut our economy down, NOPE.

H1N1 killed 13,000 people in the first 4 months and is continuing to kill people to this day. Don't believe me. Google CDC & WHO for the information. Came off of their website. The flu has already killed 52,000 people this year. Kills about the same every year, but we don't shut down the state. Projecting 860,000 abortions for 2020, don't seem to mind killing a bunch of kids because it wasn't convenient. The numbers used to manifest the projection rate are flawed. They are using century old methods. Do I believe more are going to die, yep, but those same people could succumb to the flu or Pneumonia or any other disease/virus.

Covid-19 worldwide - 930,506 cases, 46,774 deaths, .05% mortality rate or a 99.95 survival rate.

2009 (H1N1) flu pandemic
                            Back in 2009, a new type of flu — an H1N1 strain — popped up and people panicked because we didn’t have a vaccine and the novel strain was spreading fast.

Like COVID-19, there was no immunity at the start of the outbreak. We did have antivirals to facilitate recovery, and by the end of 2009, we had a vaccine which — combined with higher levels of immunity — would provide protection in future flu seasons.

Still, it claimed over 12,000 lives in the United States.

Key symptoms: fever, chills, cough, body aches
                            First detection: January 2009 in Mexico; April 2009Trusted Source in United States
                            Global cases: about 24 percent of global population; 60.8 million U.S. cases
                            Global deaths: over 284,000; 12,469 in the United States; death rate was .02 percent
                            Most affected groups: children had the highest rates; 47 percentTrusted Source of children between 5 and 19 developed symptoms compared to 11 percent of people ages 65 and up
                            Treatment available: antiviralsTrusted Source (oseltamivir and zanamivir); most people recovered without complications
                            Vaccine available: H1N1 vaccine research started April 2009 and a vaccine became available December 2009
                            End of pandemic: August 2010

Seasonal flu
                            The flu strikes every year, but no two seasons are exactly the same.

Because strains mutate each year, it can be hard to predict what will hit. Unlike COVID-19, we have effective vaccines and antiviral medications that can help prevent and reduce the severity of the flu.

Additionally, many people have residual immunity to the flu from years past, as our bodies have seen the flu before.

We don’t have any immunity to COVID-19, and it appears to be more contagious and fatal than the flu so far, but this could very well change as we learn more.

Key symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue
                            Global cases annually: 9 percentTrusted Source of the population, or about 1 billion infections (up to 5 million of which are severe)
                            Global deaths annually: between 291,000 to 646,000Trusted Source; death rate around 0.1 percent
                            Transmission: spreads through respiratory droplets; each diagnosed person passes it to 1.3 persons
                            Most affected groups: older adults and people with compromised immune systems
                            Treatment available: antiviral medications (Tamiflu, Relenza, Rapivab, Xofluza) to reduce duration and severity of flu
                            Vaccines available: there are many vaccine optionsTrusted Source available that provide immunity against multiple strains of influenza

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
                            Early evidence shows COVID-19 may be more contagious than the flu.

And some early reports say COVID-19 may have a higher death rate than the seasonal flu. But we may soon find out it’s less deadly than initial reports since so many people with COVID-19 have mild symptoms or are asymptomatic and therefore don’t see a doctor and are largely unaccounted for.

“The death rate really is something we just have to take with a grain of salt until we have enough information,” Johnson said. This is a rapidly evolving situation, and numbers and estimates are likely to change as we learn more.

Key symptoms: cough, fever, shortness of breath; 80 percent of cases are mild
                            First detection: December 2019 in Wuhan, China
                            Global cases to date: Over 127,000 cases
                            Global deaths to date: Over 4,700; the global death rate is estimated at 3.4 percentTrusted Source, but certain areas are seeing a death rate of just 0.4 percent
                            Transmission: spreads through respiratory droplets along with feces and other bodily secretions; each person passes it to 2.2 others which will likely fall as containment and quarantine efforts increase
                            Most affected groups: adults over 65 with underlying health conditions; children seem to be spared and are experiencing milder symptoms (in China, children account for just 2.4 percent of cases)
                            Treatments available: none; supportive care is provided, pain relievers and fever reducers can alleviate symptoms, and antibiotics can help treat secondary bacterial pneumonia and antivirals used with other viruses are being administered to help with recovery
                            Vaccines available: none yet; a vaccine will likely be ready in about one yea

Comment

New Orleans Convention Center will now house 2,000 hospital beds for COVID-19 patients

They converted the convention center to a 2000 person hospital but it's not that busy? There are areas that aren't that busy right now, if your friend is involved in anything elective then it's slow because those have all been shut down. The fastest way to catch this thing is to be at a hospital right now.

Those are projections are close, and yes projections are going to be off but they won't be way off, they won't be off by the amounts needed to completely throw them out.

I don't understand people who refuse to believe what they see. This is not just one source, this is not just a single element trying to present a directed message. This information is broad and being supported by everyone. Is it just so far removed from anything we have ever experienced that people won't accept it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                And don’t think for a second that this doesn’t scare me too, it definitely does. I don’t want to get my family sick, my folks and my in laws are all around 70, hell I don’t want to get it! But I refuse to make decisions based on fear.

I don’t know all the answers, but I know we are teetering on the edge of coming back to a far worse world than this virus could create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Well put, thank you

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X