No announcement yet.

Abbot's Executive Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The total us has 211,408 cases, 4,718 deaths, .0223% mortality rate. Even New York with 83712 cases and 1,941 confirmed deaths are at .023% mortality rate. These numbers are bad, definitely, but not worth shutting the WHOLE **** country down! TXMEDIC, these are real numbers, not fear factor, not estimations, this is the real deal.

Comment

Yep Dave nasty bug. Polio in 1952 killed my Uncle and crippled another. My Grandfather went to Korea and my Grandmother went to work in ammunition plant. Horrible disease that killed children.
      Humans are a herd of animals. We will overcome this virus by developing immunity. Be it a vaccine or being exposed. Really not another way around it.
      It is a bad situation with a bad bug

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        New Orleans Convention Center will now house 2,000 hospital beds for COVID-19 patients

They converted the convention center to a 2000 person hospital but it's not that busy? There are areas that aren't that busy right now, if your friend is involved in anything elective then it's slow because those have all been shut down. The fastest way to catch this thing is to be at a hospital right now.

Those are projections are close, and yes projections are going to be off but they won't be way off, they won't be off by the amounts needed to completely throw them out.

I don't understand people who refuse to believe what they see. This is not just one source, this is not just a single element trying to present a directed message. This information is broad and being supported by everyone. Is it just so far removed from anything we have ever experienced that people won't accept it?
        Its not that I don't believe. I know numbers and they don't lie. They never lie. Even applying the factor of 2, the numbers don't even get close to their projections. My friend is a TRAUMA nurse in New Orleans, not working, on call. I believe that most people are buying into social media HYPE. What do you think people would say or do if they HYPED the flu numbers every year or the number of deaths by heart attack, but nobody listens. . . .we are bullet proof until shot. My sons work at a grocery store. They are exposed to 4-500 people a day, what am I supposed to do. Run in fear or do what DALE said. I go to work, thank god! Tell my kids to be safe and practice good hygiene. Exactly what the rest of the state should be doing. 3.2 million people unemployed right now. Beats the hell out of the 58 deaths. Wouldn't you agree?

Comment

Another situation. People go to store and buy lots of packages of meat. Place in freezer. Get that turkey out for Thanksgiving. Virus was on package and guess what good chance it all starts again. This bug may live up to 2 years in freezing temps. Do we close the US again?
          Humans will have to build an immunity to this and any future virus.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
            The total us has 211,408 cases, 4,718 deaths, .0223% mortality rate. Even New York with 83712 cases and 1,941 confirmed deaths are at .023% mortality rate. These numbers are bad, definitely, but not worth shutting the WHOLE **** country down! TXMEDIC, these are real numbers, not fear factor, not estimations, this is the real deal.
            Cool man...whatever you say bud. My entire job at this point is dedicated to Community Health and I work with some really smart people who deal with infection control, disease mitigation, etc on a daily basis. I’m sure all of us are way off...

Comment

Your math is off(I believe). That is 2.23% and 2.3% respectively.

Comment

Hey buddy guys like he, Bermise and the like don't want facts they want projections.
                My uncle passed away at 3:30 today from complications from the virus. In his 70s with medical issues and after 10 days on the respirator he was sent home to die.
                It's a bad virus. But as said we will build immunity and we will survive. But it's not something to tank the world economy over.
                Then again it's too late. The fear mongers have already devastated lives economically. Ruined senior citizens retirement accounts and stolen people's ability to feed their families.

Gary

Comment

A couple points about math and metrics for dynamic models:

You cant look at death numbers vs confirmed cases without looking also at recovery numbers. The recovery numbers are low, because the disease can take up to 2-3 weeks to recover from.

Italy ramped ahead of us, so a good way to look at the future. Only thing though is thier elderly ratio is 2x ours.

Projections are important. If you base your decision making on today, then you are just making uninformed decisions and being reactionary.

Fewer folks die from hurricanes, and more property is spared due to predicting hurricane tracks based on models. Those models aren't always right, but they give fair warning.

Regardless, this is an unprecedented event in our lifetime... and it is a complex situation for which it is obvious that the entire globe is effected.

I always said it would be interesting to see what happens when this thing got here... I mean, I had been tracking it since January because, well China...

And... if you want to take a card from an country that only cares about its economy and global standing and doesn't give a darn about it's people... look what China did. China is trying to avoid what SARS did to its economy when it did nothing.

See... at the top, big business is driving this... because the poplulation that does more to drive the GDP and pays the most in taxes are in the vulnerable range... the young are our future for sure... but they aren't the today...

Besides, most folks don't realize they have underlying conditions until it kills em.

Comment

Dave x 2. Amen and plz wake up. 2-4 weeks out of your life for others is not a big thing. 2-4 weeks you'll see what docs and microbiologists have to kill this bug. Meantime, sit on your hat.

Comment

Slayer,

I wasn't a math major so maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure....

"Covid-19 worldwide - 930,506 cases, 46,774 deaths, .05% mortality rate or a 99.95 survival rate." Didn't you forget to move the decimal point two places to the right after dividing to get the percentage? I'm pretty sure your .05% should be 5%, so its not a 99.95% survival rate, its 95% survival rate.

Latest number from Texas: 4097 confirmed cases, 60 deaths is .0146, or 1.46%.

Just throwing this out there.

Comment

Again, pretty sure you need to move your decimal two places to the right after dividing.

Comment

Although it is a decade old... 70% of total tax dollars paid are by Americans 45 and older (also the same demographic of those most often hospitalized). Only 11% of total tax dollars paid are by those younger than 35.

Now, even if you are not a big fan of taxes (which I assume most are not)... you can reasonably assume that those who are taxed, tend to make more, etc.

So again, if you don't think these decisions aren't also being based on business and economic considerations... think again.

Why else do you think there is a covergence in agreement. They don't see eye to eye. Regardless though, an expedited wiping out of the top income earners of your population is never good for business (or politics since they are the ones that vote more too)
                          Last edited by SwampRabbit; 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
                            Cool man...whatever you say bud. My entire job at this point is dedicated to Community Health and I work with some really smart people who deal with infection control, disease mitigation, etc on a daily basis. I’m sure all of us are way off...
                            I am with you 100% , I trust the medical professionals way more than some nimrod worried about his 401K over the general population Or their own family and friends
                            (I see the difference between places enforcing social distancing and others like NoLa /Florida choosing carnival and spring break)

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                              (I see the difference between places enforcing social distancing and others like NoLa /Florida choosing carnival and spring break)
                              That was so last week...they are on lock down but too late.

Comment

And it’s not 2-4 weeks. Texas is not projected to top out until May from what the current virus guru around here says. I think they are all just guessing. He said 30% infected are walking around with minor cold symptoms and will never do more than take OTC meds.

Comment

Working...
                                X