CA to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJM View Post
    1.I typically work during lunch and don't eat out.
    2.I couldn't possibly know I'm at work.
    3.I don't shop at Target so...I don't know that your cashier has kids or is on welfare,and neither do you.

I didn't say all are kids,but it is widely assumed that anybody working at these places is supporting a family and on welfare.I've never seen anything to support that this is even remotely true.
    I actually do know a few older people that work at Walmart just for something to do.One of them is my MIL.She's retired from the tech industry and was bored sitting at home.

DJ
    I go to these places frequently during the day on my lunch break.
    In The Woodlands there is an Academy, Best Buy and Target I frequent between 10am and 3pm (various lunch hours).
    Each of those stores may have 50 people on the clock at any given hour.
    I think the consensus is that not a large percentage of these folks are retired and "just looking for something to do"
    I know at Chic Fil A most of those folks look to be younger than me (under 35) so far from retirement age.

And if you have 20 people working at Chic Fil A during the 11am-1pm rush, how many of them do you think have children or are supporting a household on their $7.50 per hour?

If it's worth anything Chic Fil A's employees look younger than the folks that work at Academy during the same hours.

All I'm saying is that minimum wage jobs are NOT only for "high school kids".
    Hell, I had to run and buy a cellphone at Best Buy at 10:30am one morning because I dropped mine in the gas station parking lot and shattered the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      I go to these places frequently during the day on my lunch break.
      In The Woodlands there is an Academy, Best Buy and Target I frequent between 10am and 3pm (various lunch hours).
      Each of those stores may have 50 people on the clock at any given hour.
      I think the consensus is that not a large percentage of these folks are retired and "just looking for something to do"
      I know at Chic Fil A most of those folks look to be younger than me (under 35) so far from retirement age.

And if you have 20 people working at Chic Fil A during the 11am-1pm rush, how many of them do you think have children or are supporting a household on their $7.50 per hour?

If it's worth anything Chic Fil A's employees look younger than the folks that work at Academy during the same hours.

All I'm saying is that minimum wage jobs are NOT only for "high school kids".
      Hell, I had to run and buy a cellphone at Best Buy at 10:30am one morning because I dropped mine in the gas station parking lot and shattered the screen.
      So do you think everyone working there is making minimum wage? I'd figure that's just a starting wage and you can work up from there depending on merit.

Comment

so we need to reward mediocrity in workers who are unwilling to improve their lives by getting out of fast food, along with their comfort zones, and make better lives for their families.

i wonder how true this is?

Comment

According to this article,which is a year old.Nobody at Walmart or Target is making minimum wage.

DJ

Target plans to raise the minimum wage it pays employees to $9 an hour starting next month, Bloomberg reports, citing a source “with knowledge of the...

Comment

Do the math.

If there are 45,000,000 people working full time on $7.50 an hour (Their Estimate), that's $300a week. If they pay an average of just 18% in federal taxes, that's $54 a week. Now in a year that is $2,808 in taxes per individual. Your company is forced to match that. Now you are at $5,616 a year. Now multiply by the roughly 45M people on minimum wage, you are at....., $253,720,000,000.

THATS $253.72 BILLION DOLLARS. WITH A B!

That's an additional $126,360,000,000 in additional revenue for the gumment that said they wanted to help YOU.

I Don't think so.

They want to make more money? Of course they do. Everyone does. Get off your butt and work harder for a higher paying job, go learn the skills needed to do so, or go to college and get the education to make you worth getting paid more money.

NO ONE OWES YOU CRAP!

Life is full of choices. They need to make the right one.

It was the same as the Bank and Car Industry bail outs. In "helping" them, they made these HUGE low interest loans. Then, RIGHT OFF THE TOP, they took that extra tax deduction from those loans which in turn immediately increased the tax revenues for the government.

Of course they want the additional tax revenues from the $15/hour minimum wage. THAT is what they are doing it for, not the individual.

In addition, I wonder what welfare and assistance programs they will no longer qualify for since their earned income doubles. I am guessing they will not lose any of the "assistance" because those individuals will get all ticked off and they will lose those votes in the next election cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
              So do you think everyone working there is making minimum wage? I'd figure that's just a starting wage and you can work up from there depending on merit.
              Vast majority of fast food workers make less than $10 per hour
              If they start you at $7.50, how long will it take you to get to $10 per hour?
              Even at a 10% annual raise will take 4 years to be over $10 per hour

Comment

According to this article,which is a year old.Nobody at Walmart or Target is making minimum wage.

DJ

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/..._pay_to_9.html
                They all make less than $15 per hour
                Except for mgmt of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                  so we need to reward mediocrity in workers who are unwilling to improve their lives by getting out of fast food, along with their comfort zones, and make better lives for their families.

i wonder how true this is?
                  https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay...ly-Pay-E97.htm
                  I don't know the answer to that
                  But I do know that the entire country can't work in "professional" careers or else there will be a huge vacuum in these service industries

Comment

I don't know the answer to that
                    But I do know that the entire country can't work in "professional" careers or else there will be a huge vacuum in these service industries
                    huge vacuum? you mean to say that high schoolers/retired people/under employed people/college kids wouldnt fill the voids? what do you think that says about the will to work in this country?

Comment

Vast majority of fast food workers make less than $10 per hour
                      If they start you at $7.50, how long will it take you to get to $10 per hour?
                      Even at a 10% annual raise will take 4 years to be over $10 per hour
                      Then they should get a different job. There are lots of jobs that start out above $10/hr as an entry level employee. From my experience, people who aren't working in those fields just don't want to put in the work. If I lost my job today, I could find plenty of places hiring if you're willing to do more than flip patties or mop bathrooms. That's what it comes down to imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                        huge vacuum? you mean to say that high schoolers/retired people/under employed people/college kids wouldnt fill the voids? what do you think that says about the will to work in this country?
                        high schoolers-
                        cant work at 11am on a Thursday outside of summer

college kids-
                        pretty much same as high schoolers but they also have weird college school schedules and what's worth more? $10/hr at Best Buy during the day or studying to get an A in biochem so you can make $50/hr within the next few years?

retired people-
                        many times don't want to be bothered
                        but also age discrimination is huge
                        and then many old folks can't move as fast as these jobs need them too

under employed-
                        they'll always be calling out every time an interview for a better job opens up
                        that's why fast food places will not hire a person with a Masters degree or above because they know at the drop of a dime the person will leave that job for something better and they know the person has MANY opportunities to make more than what they're paying them
                        How many times have you heard of people being "overqualified" for the job?
                        Would you hire a master electrician to help string Christmas lights on trees for $10/hr?

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
                          Then they should get a different job. There are lots of jobs that start out above $10/hr as an entry level employee. From my experience, people who aren't working in those fields just don't want to put in the work. If I lost my job today, I could find plenty of places hiring if you're willing to do more than flip patties or mop bathrooms. That's what it comes down to imo.
                          There are a whole host of reasons why not everyone can take every job.
                          It's not always because of lack of wanting more pay or to do better.

Honestly, sometimes people just aren't smart enough to grasp the concept of the field.
                          Not everyone can be an electrician or plumber or carpenter.
                          Not everyone has the skillset necessary to work in those fields (even as an entry level person).

Lack of transportation could be a barrier to working certain jobs.
                          Yeah you can get that $15 an hour starting pay job but it is 35 miles from your home and you don't have reliable transportation out there.
                          So all you can work are the $8/hr jobs near your home.

There are many reasons why.
                          Not making excuses, just saying I'm empathetic.
                          Not everyone is a serial deadbeat that wants to live off the teet of the govt

Comment

They all make less than $15 per hour
                            Except for mgmt of course.
                            So?They are making above the minimum doing work that takes no experience or education.What makes $15 the magic number?What happens when that's not enough?$20 an hour? $25?How much does it take to buy and keep vote?

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              Will do no good. Cost of goods will rise proportionally. It's amazing how people can't grasp this.
                              x2! I know, its sad

Comment

So?They are making above the minimum doing work that takes no experience or education.What makes $15 the magic number?What happens when that's not enough?$20 an hour? $25?How much does it take to buy and keep vote?

DJ

Hey I'm not pushing for $15 minimum wage
                                I'm saying $7.50 is not enough
                                Rather than having govt dictate the wage floor
                                The workers need to band together and demand a minimum wage
                                I guess they are kind of doing that by voting for specific politicians that will push for a minimum wage through Congress.
                                Or when the workers band together and march through the streets for a higher wage floor.

No different than those rancher folks in California/Nevada getting into shootouts with BLM so they don't have to pay taxes to graze on the land
                                Or our founding fathers dumping tea in the Charles river because they wanted more crumpets.

Comment

Working...
                                X