CA to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
    My solution to illegal immigration is simple. We need 2 laws.

1. Require eVerify for all hires over $250 and the penalty if you know, or reasonably should have known you hired on the penalty is 1 yearin prison and $100k fine.

2. Pay a 50% finders fee for anybody who reports a violation and there is a conviction.

That will send them home fast. Cutoff the money.
    1 year in prison maybe if they can prove you hired illegals on purpose but not if you should have known..Thats a slippery slope.

But a hefty fine would help a lot. And #2 could work pretty good as long as government isn't too involved or people will just report every construction company they see and hope they get a reward and the company will be audited every day LOL

Comment

It's the same as hunting migratory birds over bait- the wording is similar- if you know or reasonably should have known known there was a food source. Those penalties are serious, so should hiring illegals.

Or the new PC term, UDVs- undocumented democratic voters.

Comment

I love my buddies who gripe and moan about illegals all day but run to the gas station and hire 3-4 every weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Will do no good. Cost of goods will rise proportionally. It's amazing how people can't grasp this.
          ^^^ This!!!

Comment

CA to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr

This was in the San Jose daily newspaper today.

No kidding! this will accelerate those jobs being replaced by robots. The funny part is, the company I'm sales manager for has done multiple robotic product development projects. I know Steve who was quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
              This was in the San Jose daily newspaper today.

No kidding! this will accelerate those jobs being replaced by robots. The funny part is, the company I'm sales manager for has done multiple robotic product development projects. I know Steve who was quoted.

Yep, automation is VERY much the next wave! oh well, at least I don't have to worry about folks not showing up......lol!

Comment

If raising the minimum wage is so good for everyone then why stop at $15.00?
                Let's make it great and make it $50.00 or even $100.00 an hour.

I hope it works out for them.

Comment

Idiots

Comment

Minimum wage hikes are promoted by people who are just plain bad at math and don't understand free markets. Everything's of relative value. So if you artificially raise one wage with government mandates, all the others have to follow eventually, since their values did not decrease relative to the minimum. Then the cost of everything goes up until the guy making minimum wage can only afford the very same standard of living as before the minimum wage hike. Then they want another minimum wage hike. It's a stupid and pointless exercise. In the end, all raising the minimum wage does is increase the inflation rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Just wait until they find out they won't qualify for as many benefits at that higher wage...
                      Then they will do exactly what the people did in Seattle, stop showing up for work as often

Comment

Personally, I think the minimum wage should have been raised a long time ago - not nearly to $15, but certainly more than $7.25.

However, if the media were really honest about reporting on this issue they would point out that the reason this has become such a big issue is because of the lack of real economic growth and jobs. And so many professional people have been forced into minimum wage jobs just to find employment.

Now of course they can't do that though as it would expose the myth of this president's claims around consecutive months of positive job growth.

Comment

"Your editorial “California Inequality Act” (March 30) doesn’t address the tax implications of going from a $10- to a $15-an-hour minimum wage, which are very significant. For a family of four with both spouses making the minimum wage, their federal tax will increase from $4,106 to $7,219, payroll tax will increase from $2,579 to $3,869, their earned-income tax credit (EITC) will be reduced from $596 to zero, California state taxes will increase from zero to $379, and the $2,400 food-stamp credit will be lost. Of the $20,800 increase in income in going from $10 to $15 an hour, $7,778 will be diverted to the government, which doesn’t include loss of other income-dependent government welfare programs and added costs due to the resulting inflation. Over one third of the wage increase will flow to the government in the form of increased taxes and reduced benefits.

A far better way to help low-income workers would be to increase the EITC, which wouldn’t cause a loss of jobs or increase inflation, both of which disproportionally impact the poor."

Henry Schmid

Sonoma, Calif.

Thought this was interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                            I think alot of you are missing something on this.The vast majority of employees at fast food places are not supporting a family and are not on food stamps. Any place I go into I see mainly high school kids.Why does an industry largely staffed by high school kids need to make $15 an hour?

DJ
                            How many times has a kid in high school served you at Chic Fil A during your noontime lunch break on a Tuesday in October?

How many high school kids work at Target and Wall Mart before 3pm Monday - Friday?

Seems to me every time I go in Target my cashier is a girl of childbearing age (over 21)

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post

Yes it was. He forgot the loss of some or all of the Obamacare subsidy. What he omits is they'll reduce their hours to gross the same amount to not loose freebies, and then drive drunks home from bars for Uber because they like the freedom.

What they should do is give lower tuition at community colleges to take courses that will get them a higher paying job.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                                How many times has a kid in high school served you at Chic Fil A during your noontime lunch break on a Tuesday in October?

How many high school kids work at Target and Wall Mart before 3pm Monday - Friday?

Seems to me every time I go in Target my cashier is a girl of childbearing age (over 21)
                                1.I typically work during lunch and don't eat out.
                                2.I couldn't possibly know I'm at work.
                                3.I don't shop at Target so...I don't know that your cashier has kids or is on welfare,and neither do you.

I didn't say all are kids,but it is widely assumed that anybody working at these places is supporting a family and on welfare.I've never seen anything to support that this is even remotely true.
                                I actually do know a few older people that work at Walmart just for something to do.One of them is my MIL.She's retired from the tech industry and was bored sitting at home.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                                X