• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr

Fools.
    Dang Fools.
    Idiots.

If the stock market and housing prices stay steady, 2 years from now I'm outta here.

A plan to raise California's minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2022 passed both houses of the state legislature on Thursday, putting the state on track to become the first in the nation to commit to such a large pay hike for the working poor. The measure, incorporating a deal Governor Jerry Brown reached with labor leaders and progressive Democrats in the Legislature, was approved in the state Senate Thursday afternoon after winning approval earlier in the day in the Assembly, and now goes to Brown for his signature. "If you work full time, your family shouldn't live in poverty," Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, a Southern California Democrat, said in support of the bill to raise the state's minimum wage from its current level of $10 per hour.

Seriously, I work in outsourced product development (we hire AMERICANS) and see a lot of what's coming in the future. I know that major Japanese electronics firms have large R&D programs for point of sale kiosks for restaurants (goodbye minimum wage counter help) and I've spoken with multiple companies developing robotic cooking systems for restaurants like MacDonald's.

I'll place my bet, coming soon to Texas, too. Unless Bernie gets elected, and then it will be more plus tons of government freebies.

Make it sooner. We need your kind.

Comment

That's the best compliment I've received today, thanks. It will be Montana and not Texas- but there is an annual TBH elk hunt in the planning stages.

Comment

Will do no good. Cost of goods will rise proportionally. It's amazing how people can't grasp this.

Comment

But how am I supposed to raise my 6 kids on $10 an hour! I should make exactly what a CEO is making!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            Will do no good. Cost of goods will rise proportionally. It's amazing how people can't grasp this.

And when no owner of a business will let any of their employees work overtime they will come out with less on their paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
              And when no owner of a business will let any of their employees work overtime they will come out with less on their paycheck.
              That's right

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                That's right

Cashiers will be replaced with the u-scan it checkout systems like they have in grocery stores. The station at the Kroger I go to has 8 of them with one attendant helping with problems.

I believe more jobs won't even exist due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by jht View Post
                  cashiers will be replaced with the u-scan it checkout systems like they have in grocery stores. The station at the kroger i go to has 8 of them with one attendant helping with problems.

I believe more jobs won't even exist due to this.
                  x2 100%

Comment

But it feels like the right thing to do???

Comment

Texas min wage is $7.25 and that's about what a meal at whataburger cost (usually a little more) so it will cost about $15 for a fast good meal in CA until the robots take over.

Comment

Just wait until they find out they won't qualify for as many benefits at that higher wage...

Comment

$15.00 an hour to screw up my order time after time...these idiots don't deserve a raise...another handout is what they want. Smh

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Just wait until they find out they won't qualify for as many benefits at that higher wage...

Truth!

Comment

Some of the workers will probably be replaced by kiosks to take orders and payments to offset the cost.

It's funny how a lot of people don't grasp simple economics. Either cut labor cost or increase prices to maintain the profit margin. More than likely, they will use a bit of both.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X