No announcement yet.

CA to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad thing is a E-1 military man or women 1st year will make approximate $18,336.00 a year. McBurger flipper will make working full time in CA $31,200.00 I think minimum wage should be tied to the lowest military pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
      For now 'til 2022 one could get trained/educated/or otherwise become gainfully employed in a career not a starter job. "Not a big deal"
      You're not following me friend.
      Inflation is typically about 3% per year !
      So most everything that cost $10 now will cost you around $13.20 in 2022. Including min wage.
      So $15 really is not that out of hand

Even the stand around home depot guys expect $15 per hr or more.at least fast food folks pay taxes

Look at Rage broadheads - doubled in price in 2 years $50 for 3 . yet I don't see 2 pages of crying over that
      Last edited by cbd10pt; 04-01-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

You need a new calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
          Sad thing is a E-1 military man or women 1st year will make approximate $18,336.00 a year. McBurger flipper will make working full time in CA $31,200.00 I think minimum wage should be tied to the lowest military pay.
          Don't get me wrong, I'm against raising minimum wage and a believer in negotiating your salary. If you're not happy with what you make, ask for a raise or find a new job...

But the military comparison isn't quite fair. I did 10 years in the Marines. Base salary doesn't take into account that most lower enlisted are on meal cards, live in the barracks, and never pay a dime for health/dental costs. After I moved into a house, they paid me more for having to buy meals, and gave me 1200/month for housing. I made decent money in the military. I wasn't rich, but was never wanting.

So what a private makes is all play money after maybe a car payment, car insurance, and phone bill. I don't think I've got that much luxury money now making 53k

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
            You're not following me friend.

Inflation is typically about 3% per year !

So most everything that cost $10 now will cost you around $13.20 in 2022. Including min wage.

So $15 really is not that out of hand

Even the stand around home depot guys expect $15 per hr or more.at least fast food folks pay taxes

Look at Rage broadheads - doubled in price in 2 years $50 for 3 . yet I don't see 2 pages of crying over that

The gov't has no business forcing a private employer to pay a minimum wage in the first place.

There is no guarantee of a wage increase every year it the employer's discretion as it should be.

The last minimum wage increase was in 2009 so it's not linear to inflation.

Comment

The problem is having the government dictate wages. Things are more expensive in California, kind of easy to see why with policies like this. It doesn't help to make more if your money doesn't go as far. Dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Just wait until they find out they won't qualify for as many benefits at that higher wage...
                This is why "they" are already complaining and wanting to only work have as many hours as they were. Makes sense!!! Half the work since its twice the money, it's the liberal way. The get their cake and get to eat ours too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  The gov't has no business forcing a private employer to pay a minimum wage in the first place.

There is no guarantee of a wage increase every year it the employer's discretion as it should be.

The last minimum wage increase was in 2009 so it's not linear to inflation.
                  1st sentence is true. However labor supply and demand is completely screwed, with all the illegal labor force.
                  I've been a GC in the Houston area for the last 20 years.
                  Most legal subcontractors hire illegal help and those folks typically make $15 per hr. And up.
                  Yet a legal starbucks employee makes $9
                  So lets just agree our system is jacked

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    That's the best compliment I've received today, thanks. It will be Montana and not Texas- but there is an annual TBH elk hunt in the planning stages.
                    I'm in Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Just wait until they find out they won't qualify for as many benefits at that higher wage...
                      This^^^^

Comment

1st sentence is true. However labor supply and demand is completely screwed, with all the illegal labor force.

Most legal subcontractors hire illegal help and those folks typically make $15 per hr. And up.

First of all how does illegal labor have anything to do with anything I said?

And are you seriously suggesting that someone that is in a climate controlled building making coffee should be paid the same as a skilled worker who works in the crappiest weather conditions depending on the time of the year?

Btw I'm a project manager in construction who worked up through the field so I know a little about construction too.

Comment

Everyone is missing the bigger issue. The politicians no longer argue or campaign on bringing in or developing high paying jobs that a person can support a family on. So instead of showing their hand and admitting that the failed regulations and high business taxes are killing this country they just shift the argument.
                          If our economy was solid and people were free to start up companies that actually paid a wage then this argument wouldn't even be happening.
                          And as usual we fall for the smoke and mirrors game.

Comment

It's jacked because the government keeps adding regulations...more and more. each one makes it more jacked.. So add even more?

Please explain how true free enterprise wouldn't work. Bottom line is that it does work nearly perfectly for those who actually work hard and are semi-smart.

Comment

I also wanted to add if you as a GC are hiring the subs that you KNOW use illegal labor then you are part of the problem too.

Comment

My solution to illegal immigration is simple. We need 2 laws.

1. Require eVerify for all hires over $250 and the penalty if youlnow, or reasonably should have known you hired on the penalty is 1 yearin prison and $100k fine.

2. Pay a 50% finders fee for anybody who reports a violation and there is a conviction.

That will send them home fast. Cutoff the money.

Comment

Working...
                                X