No announcement yet.

Wasted talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon your daughter will never think of you as WASTED TALENT!

The old man upstairs has a plan for all of us and apparently his plan for you had her in mind. Who knows, had you continued on with more success in the PCRA circuit, you may not be here to see her now.

There was a period in my life where I surfed "hardcore" everywhere and anything along the West Coast. The typical day consisted of finding the biggest, gnarliest wave the Central California coast could toss at me and offshore I went. At times, after managing to get outside in some unreal surf conditions, I would sit out there wondering if my decision that day was sound. It's one thing to get outside on huge day, it's another thing, knowing you have to ride the best you got to survive and get back inside to land. I came close to drowning a few times, nearly knocked unconscious after a nasty wipe-out only to make it inside for a ride to the hospital to sew my face up from deep lacerations. 20-23 years old, I pushed it hard till I left California, and the guys I ran with were as nuts as I was...which simply added full to the fire to perform. As I mentioned, the Old Man Upstairs made a change in my life, and through things out of my control, the Coast Guard ordered me over to the East Coast...a world of smaller and safter conditions. This severed my ties to surfing rocky point breaks, reef breaks and Great White shark infested waters in ice cold water. On the East Coast I met my wife, had kids and surfed when I could but...my priorities changed. The biggest days on the East Coast, Cape Hatteras for example, pale in comparison to the power of the Pacific. I had one more ride to an Emergency room in Cape Hatteras but it wasn't anywhere near as gnarly as my bad experiences on the left coast.

Looking back I realized had I stayed out West, I would have continued to go Balls to the Wall chasing the big stuff and potentially somewhere along the way....I might have met the Old Man before I turned 30.

Rodeos and big surf....both games are a young man's world. I still surf but Texas certainly doesn't rattle my cage.

Comment

Go for it , or don't either way you have to live with the decision.
      Just don't end up like the guy on Napolian Dynamite.

Comment

When we got hurt when we were young.....we could get back in the saddle the next day, if not the same day.

We aint young no more....and the stock is tuffer!

Become a ruff stock judge. That way your talent can still be utilized.
        Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I heard something similar about my bass playing a couple of weeks ago when I went to see an old friend's band play. I guess it was a lot easier for me to laugh off since it was coming from a guy who's 45yo, living with his mother, hangin' out in hole-in-the-wall metal bars every weekend, still working in a warehouse for $10/hr, and still trying to get that BIG recording deal that's gonna change his life.

I'm planning to play one last show with some friends...but I ain't ever going back.

Good luck whatever you decide, Brandon.

Comment

Injuries happen in every sport. Losing time or losing out because of those injuries is part of life itself and not wasted talent by any means. IMO, this guy has no idea what he is talking about and the comment about wasted talent is far from the truth.

To me, wasted talent is someone who had it all like Mike Vick or Pacman Jones or the countless college stars who throw it away for something foolish. There are plenty of people who get injured and never get their shot, that's life, not wasted talent.
            Jeff Young

Comment

Here is a good way to look at it. I've been told a good handful of times that I was waisted talent (baseball). I took the wrong path in high school and ruined my baseball career. It went no where because of very crappy choices I made. I always asked myself the what if's almost on a daily basis. I know I had what it took to make it which is what killed me. Well you have seen all of my adventures I have shared with y'all on the green screen with my family. My life took this path for a reason. I now know why I veered off course years ago and I am so glad that it did. I have an awesome family that I wouldn't trade for anything. Colton is 5 times better than I was playing the game of baseball at his age. He loves the game so much and respects it a whole lot more than I did. He is the complete package. God works in mysterious ways. It's not my place to tell you what to do or not to do. All I will say is things happen for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by berandel View Post
                put the pipe down now!
                :d:d:d:d

Comment

sounds like to me you won't be happy until you give it another shot, so I say go for it

Comment

i rode bulls for about two years and was sponsered riding on a smaller circuit the CPRA. i loved it until i shattered my ankle and and had to have screws inserted to hold it together. i still think about going back and know that i had what it took, but when i realize that i am in EMT school and Fire Academy after that i will stick with Team roping... its alot safer and ther is more money to be had in my opionon. im not telling you not to do it but just consider it before you do.. i hav just much fun roping as i did riding roughstock....

Comment

Originally posted by Cropduster View Post
                      Just don't make a decision that you may regret later. It is easy to forget all the pain and suffering we go through when it is behind us. Your family should come first in all your plans. I don't know how old you are, but you are at least eight years older than when you got out of the business. All I am saying is don't make a mistake because of someone else.
                      Good advice...

Comment

The rough stock is good about breaking your neck.I love watching people ride thou.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I got to thinking about it more the last few days and had a good heart to heart with my good friend that went to the NFR 6X. He sadi something that struck home. He said " Brandon, I've known you since I was 14 yrs old. You took me under your wing and got me started and helped me out when nobody else would. I always thought you never caught the right breaks at the right time, but don't ever let anyone one ever tell you your wasted talent. On any given day you rode as good as anyone. Look at how many of the top guys know you and acknowledge you. They don't do it because your good looking they do it because you earned their respect." I ****ed near cried. He went on to say that if I get in shape to come on out and get on a couple of hoppers to see how it goes.

After I hung up with him I got to thinking about the past. Hell, I won somewhere close to 100 buckles and a few saddles and other stuff. I have given most of it away to friends and family. Anyways I have come to to the conclusion that SOB can go screw himself. I have probably forgotten more about rodeo than he has ever known and then some. I am going to do my best and get in shape and go get on a hopper and then we will see.

Comment

Heck Brandon just go for it, however those hoppers don't really care about what you have won or your resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollis F View Post
                              Go for it man. I made the Southeast circuit twice. I tore my ACL/MCL at Prescott over the 4th and hung it up after two surgeries. Anytime I'm around a rodeo it kills me. I dont have the time now. Give it a go!
                              When did you make the finals? I went to school with some guys from LA...Jason Freeman, Brent Vincent, and Shawn Mays. Jason was my roomate one semster. I thought he rode real good. Lake Charles is where I dislocated my hip. Skoal Centinnial hung the flank strap in the front leg and flipped during the short round.

Comment

if you think you will look back years down the road and say "man i wish i would have", then go do it! live with no regrets!

Comment

Working...
                                X