Wasted talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
    Whats a spring Chicken? Clint Corey went to the finals when he was in his 40's. First thing I have to get in shape. My injuries have had time to heal.
    Was just poking at you a little bit.....

I'm 38, and some days it hurts to get out of bed.

There are some guys who maintain their physical fitness and can do stuff like get tossed off a bull well into their forties.

I know I'm not one of them!

If you feel it, go for it!

Comment

Go for it man. If you have the chance and the heart, which it sounds like you do than do it. Do it now while you still can!!

Comment

I just turned 35. I wouldn't do nothing without talking to my wife. Its funny though, I think water skiing is more dangerous than riding a bucking horse. I guess it all depends on the element. One of my best friends is a 6X qualifier to the NFR and 2 years younger than me. I plan on talking to him and see what he says. He has always told me I had the stuff but I just couldn't find it.
        Do you think you still have the stuff?
        Do you think you can find it now?

Comment

Reality check time..... You say while in college you never made the Finals. Now, you say you think you might want to try to get back in it. Having fun is one thing, but you also have to be honest with yourself. There are hundreds of guys that live on the road, making 3-5 rodeos a week that have done this everyday without an 8 year layoff that are severly busted up and barely making enough money to make the next rodeo, much less make the big show. I rode bulls for 3 years until I broke my back. Rough stock events are tremendously rough on your body even when you land on your feet, about 3 percent of the time. I'm not dogging you by any means, just trying to be the voice of reason. If you have the money to spend I would recommend getting into Team Roping. There is a whole lot of money to be had and you can compete against people with the same amount of experience as you. Remember this, if you ride rough stock its not a question of if you get hurt, its when and how bad. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Lubbock hunter View Post
            Reality check time..... You say while in college you never made the Finals. Now, you say you think you might want to try to get back in it. Having fun is one thing, but you also have to be honest with yourself. There are hundreds of guys that live on the road, making 3-5 rodeos a week that have done this everyday without an 8 year layoff that are severly busted up and barely making enough money to make the next rodeo, much less make the big show. I rode bulls for 3 years until I broke my back. Rough stock events are tremendously rough on your body even when you land on your feet, about 3 percent of the time. I'm not dogging you by any means, just trying to be the voice of reason. If you have the money to spend I would recommend getting into Team Roping. There is a whole lot of money to be had and you can compete against people with the same amount of experience as you. Remember this, if you ride rough stock its not a question of if you get hurt, its when and how bad. Just my .02
            The reason I never made the finals was due to injury. Broken shoulder, dislocated hip, the list goes on. As far as the layoff, I agree its a long one, but talent never goes away. When I was going 2-3 rodeos a weekend was the norm. I know I can't go to 60-70 rodeos a yea. But a good friend of mine told me to rodeo smart not hard.

Comment

i say go for it if you still have the drive

Comment

I hate to repeat myself, but.............................................

PUT THE PIPE DOWN!

The reason I never made the finals was due to injury. Broken shoulder, dislocated hip, the list goes on. As far as the layoff, I agree its a long one, but talent never goes away. When I was going 2-3 rodeos a weekend was the norm. I know I can't go to 60-70 rodeos a yea. But a good friend of mine told me to rodeo smart not hard.

So what's to keep you from getting injured again? Are you seriously thinking about doing this or are you just reliving regrets?

Many of us are still waiting for the roar of the crowd.

Comment

COWBOY UP! Go with your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Berandel View Post
                    Put the pipe down now!
                    LMAO!
                    Brandon,your not wasted talent brother,but you are older and the kids you seen growing up have got many advantages over you in Rodeo.Youth being 1 of them.Just like in 3-D Archery,the kids i seen shooting as a cub or youth,have raised the game to a different levels for which i'm too old to compete with anymore.Sometimes ya just got to accept it...its part of aging.

Comment

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Comment

GO for it .....it only hurts for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
                          You shoulda knocked him out and when he woke up told him that you took up boxing.
                          That is the funniest thing I've ever read!

My opinion................Go for it.

If you have the stuff and don't do something with it, it is wasted talent.

If you just "think" you have the stuff and go for it you'll fail and live knowing that you weren't wasted talent.

If you don't try, you'll always "think" you had the talent and wasted it and live in regret.

Give it all you've got, go for it and at least you'll have peace knowing you didn't waste your talent wether you succeed or fail, but you may end up a world champ. I'd do it!

Comment

Go for it man. I made the Southeast circuit twice. I tore my ACL/MCL at Prescott over the 4th and hung it up after two surgeries. Anytime I'm around a rodeo it kills me. I dont have the time now. Give it a go!

Comment

You dont have to go to 60 rodeos a year to make the circuit finals. There are a lot of good rodeos in Tx. Rodeo smart is right. Pick and choose your rodeos. Rodeing is like any other business. There are a lot of rodeos that you can go to with light fields (the tuffs are on the road trying to make the finals). If you get a good start at the building, who knows?

And always remember, old age and treachery beats youth and skill!
                              Last edited by Hollis F; 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

When that guy said that to you did you point at your family and TELL HIM that the NOTHING in your life has been wasted. Sorry, but at that point he would have had a finger in his chest asking him if he would pay your family's way through life without you.

When stuff like this happens I know the score. I know that the Big Man is forcing me to look ahead even though my ego wants me to look back. I cannot help but think that you are not done with rodeo. You may also have more to give in another way. You have perspective. Stop for a moment, do not think about what one man said to you... consider instead what is being asked of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X