No announcement yet.

Wasted talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

youve got plenty of advice, but just as long as you take care of the ones that matter the most, youre never a wasted talent.

Comment

The decision is up to you to make. regardless of talent, your body has changed. I'm 37 and have played rugby for the last 17 years... until this feb when I completely ripped my shoulder. I want to play again, and my surgeon says I can... but I wont be able to play with the same aggression and physicality. The problem - I know i'm a better player now despite being older and not as in shape than I was when playing for OU. It's a struggle because if I cant play full bore, 110% B@*&s to the wall, then i'm not sure I wanna play - my best advice is to step off in it with both feet. Train hard FIRST, test your body's stamina and endurance training - but have realistic expectations in the event it doesnt work out or your body isnt able to do what you ask it to do. Think hard about what your going to do if you try and fail. Will you be ok with that? I personally think it's better to have tried and failed then to have failed to try. The only caviat is that you have a family to take care of, your decisions will directly effect them as well. You know this already and better than me... but sometimes it's good to see it/hear it again.

Lastly... PRAY ABOUT IT... that's probably above all the best advice that anyone can give. pray about it, sit back, be quiet and listen for your answer.
      Last edited by helibow; 06-14-2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

As an X Bullrider....think long and hard about this. Nobody is a wasted talent that tried it and lived. I'm 55 now and once and awhile my macho raises up and trys to talk to me about rodeo. I think back to the concussions, cracked ribs, sprains, aches and pains that I have now because of bulls. I tell macho to back off. I have a beautiful family that loves me for what I am. My advice would be to love that little girl and coach her with your experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.

SNAKEHUNTER

Comment

brandon,
          this guy who came up to you, who was he to judge ?
          armchair Qbacks are that for a reason.

sometimes, no matter how hard we try we just cant make it. the olympic games are a perfect example.

Comment

look at the game cowboy. even the great ones have lost their edge in their 30's.

Comment

Sounds like if you had known you had "IT", you would not have gotten out of the game. I'm not sure you should need to have someone else tell you if you have "IT".

Comment

I wouldn't attach my self esteem to some random stranger's opinion. He wasn't even sure who you are and (as far as I can read) you still don't know who he is. His opinion doesn't count for a hill of beans. So what really changed since last week? Not a darn thing. All I'm saying is do what YOU want. But don't let some stranger's stupid remark weigh into it.

Comment

Its hard to look in the mirror and say " I had everything it took to make the finals... except for the guts" injuries are excuses, a good excuse but everybody gets that buy out option.

Comment

There's a lot of things I wish I'd done that I had good talents for, but I'll never regret making the decision to have my family. That's something that is definately not a waste and it's something that is impossible for any kind of "rush or desire" to replace.

If you should decide to chase this elusive dream, what kind of effect will it have on your family? Are you currently insured properly and in the event of you getting injured, do you have the funds in savings that will be necessary to take care of the everyday needs that a family has?

I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, but rather that your family would not think any less of you for not chasing the rodeo. I'm quite sure that you're a hero in their eyes regardless of what you do now or what you did in your "past".

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Greg

Comment

Heheh.. as far as im concerned... if you rodeoed and can still walk at 30... its time to cash in your chips and count your blessings.

Comment

A shot at a dream is rare and should be taken

Comment

I had the same happen to me in baseball, i started playing slow pitch and was asked several times where did i play college or how far did i go, and several times i just had to tell them i didnt play college i was tired of it however like you i have thought about geting back in shape and trying again, at 26 and wife and kid, it would take too much time from them i am afraid.

Comment

My major deciding factor would be - would I want to abandon my family for life on the road? Very, Very few family's can survive this kind of life.

My second deciding factor would be. Should something happen would it be fair to leave a little girl without a dad and a wife without a husband?

Granted - you could walk out and get hit by a bus tommorrow. But odds are, you would not have intentionally stepped in front of the bus to play chicken.

Comment

After all the hard work getting in shape and the emotions of getting there. And you go out and your first ride the horse or bull pulls you down on it head or horns and you break something the QUESTION is do you have the mental stamina to wait 8 weeks to get back on oh yeah get back in shape then to have it happen 2 months later.That is the question and only you know that question...The riding is not the toughest part it is the laying in bed to heal after you just been in bed from another injury.

Comment

I'm with Rem788, someone needs to teach that guy some manners. Was he with you as you recovered from your injuries and trained to come back each time you were injured? He had no right telling you that. If you can train and get in shape and you feel confident to let it rip then go for it. If your wife and kids support you then you are on your way to try. If you start training and can't meet the level of fitness that you need then you have done nothing more than get back into shape which will benefit you in the long run. I'm 44 and feel like I am in better shape now than I have ever been in. Good luck which ever way you go.

Comment

Working...
                                X