So what is TexMex, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Most of the claimed big difference is a fallacy.

Taco Bell and Chipotle are a big difference.
    Not really, they both suck.......

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
      BOB will be along shortly to line everyone out
      BoB is pretty spot on regarding Tex Mex in most cases. Mexican food is totally different. When I lived in the valley, there wasn't much 'Mexican food'. Seems it has changed given the influx of our better lifers........

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Pancho’s is a gourmet dining experience.

Maybe all y’all with stomach issues should stick to Melba toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Man, Pancho's was a staple of my upbringing and I live about 3 minutes from one of the only remaining ones in this region. I'm not that picky about food but it's totally inedible.....I went about a yr and a half ago and it will be last my experience there. Heck, it's not even cheap anymore lol

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          Couple rules:
          - If there's black beans, you've gone too far west.
          - Flour tortillas are for tacos NOT enchiladas.

This about sums it up...

"Tex-Mex food is rooted in the flavors, techniques, and long history of Mexican cuisine. Richly seasoned meats are cooked with chiles and spices and served with beans, tortillas, cheese, cilantro, and more. The Tex-Mex meaning can be most simply summed up by the different types of ingredients used. Tex-Mex recipes feature the use of chili powder, a savory mix of ground chile peppers with spices including cumin, oregano, and black pepper. Alternatively, Mexican recipes call for chile peppers, not the chili seasoning blend."
          You mean too far south for black beans.

And there was basically zero flour tortillas being made when I was in the valley.....

Comment

Here is a thread where I made beef shawarma with both tzatziki and tahini sauces. You are missing out.

Comment

So what is TexMex, really?

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

And there was basically zero flour tortillas being made when I was in the valley.....

Tex Mex, what you see at taquerias, papasittos, etc differ from authentic mexican food more similar to what we see on the border (and what i cook at home. see below). That's grilled meats in corn tortillas. If there is cheese (integral to tex mex) its cotija or panela.

New Mexican (from New Mexico) is heavy on the black beans and sour cream.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                Oh, c’mon. Just swallow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                That's what..........

Nevermind

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                  Tex Mex, what you see at taquerias, papasittos, etc differ from authentic mexican food more similar to what we see on the border (and what i cook at home. see below). That's grilled meats in corn tortillas. If there is cheese (integral to tex mex) its cotija or panela.

New Mexican (from New Mexico) is heavy on the black beans and sour cream.
                  Black beans are a staple in California style.
                  Crema is pretty prevalent in Mexican food.

Comment

The real answer is food that was primarily found around the Texas/Mexico border and up into San Antonio. I think it was actually used for music or language first.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I never saw flour tortillas anywhere south of San Antonio till I was in my late 20’s
                      Only Maiz/ corn
                      San Antonio Tex mex wasn’t made with flour tortillas, no flour enchiladas, tacos, ect , only served as a side dish
                      It’s definitely changed over the last 30+ years to cater to the whetos and yankee
                      California crowd
                      Now days it’s just assumed that flour tortillas are what you’re getting when you order breakfast or carne asada , pollo tacos

Lucky San Antonio has a growing Middle East community and has some good Mediterranean and near east and Persian restaurants

Comment

Man, Pancho's was a staple of my upbringing and I live about 3 minutes from one of the only remaining ones in this region. I'm not that picky about food but it's totally inedible.....I went about a yr and a half ago and it will be last my experience there. Heck, it's not even cheap anymore lol

Did your mom ever buy their frozen dinners? Mine only bought them for special occasions, but they were the delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                          That's what..........

Nevermind

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

((finally…))

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Did your mom ever buy their frozen dinners? Mine only bought them for special occasions, but they were the delicious!

OH! El Patio dinners.

Comment

You must live awfully close to me

Comment

TexMex food originated down on the border back before most folks had refrigerators. It was a seasoning method to mask the taste of rancid or stale meat. Involved lots of chili pepper, garlic, cumin and oregano and a lot of salt as preservative.

Comment

Working...
                                X