So what is TexMex, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    Clue number one that you are in a Tex/Mex restaurant is that the food is hidden under yellow cheese and or sour cream.

Honestly, my first clue is that nobody had beat m there. And, interestingly, no one else walked after me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You need to ask BoB aka Burntorange Bowhunter. He is the connoisseur of TexMex and BBQ.

Comment

Pancho’s is a gourmet dining experience.

Maybe all y’all with stomach issues should stick to Melba toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          You need to ask BoB aka Burntorange Bowhunter. He is the connoisseur of TexMex and BBQ.
          Wish I would have said that 🙄😂

Comment

Couple rules:
            - If there's black beans, you've gone too far west.
            - Flour tortillas are for tacos NOT enchiladas.

This about sums it up...

"Tex-Mex food is rooted in the flavors, techniques, and long history of Mexican cuisine. Richly seasoned meats are cooked with chiles and spices and served with beans, tortillas, cheese, cilantro, and more. The Tex-Mex meaning can be most simply summed up by the different types of ingredients used. Tex-Mex recipes feature the use of chili powder, a savory mix of ground chile peppers with spices including cumin, oregano, and black pepper. Alternatively, Mexican recipes call for chile peppers, not the chili seasoning blend."

Comment

Panchos good grief. Better raise the flag to surrender your position before running for the hills

Comment

TexMex: 5 ingredients arranged a dozen different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                  TexMex is made from animals that were meant to be eaten !
                  MexMex is made from all the others.
                  This was my first thought also!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    I think I just threw up in my mouth from reading these 4 words. Yep. I sure did. Be back in a minute.
                    just think of taziki sauce as greek ranch. That **** can go on anything. I love it

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                      TexMex: 5 ingredients arranged a dozen different decidedly delectable ways.
                      You lacked alliteration, so I fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                        You lacked alliteration, so I fixed it.

I am averse to alliteration.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                          TexMex: 5 ingredients arranged a dozen different ways.
                          This in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            It was a Mediterranean restaurant, of the Greek and Turkish culinary cultures.

So far,
                            Greek Salad is okay.
                            Ixnay (sic?) on the Zucchini Pancakes w/ Warm Garlic Yogurt (tzatziki?) sauce.

Tzatziki sauce is the bomb. We need to get you turned on to Mediterranean and Near East food. An entire world of flavor that is virgin to your taste buds.

I had a chicken shawarma pita today with pickled vegetables, tomato, and garlic sauce. Tabouli salad. Amazing.
                            Last edited by Ætheling; 06-07-2023, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              No rice is grown in Mexico that I know of, but rice is a staple on most Tex Mex plates. True authentic Mexican food is different completely. Most that have grown up on Tex Mex may not like true Mexican food.

Sounds like what you entered was a Heinz 57 food stop!!! LOL! Good luck!
                              There is such a thing as authentic Tex Mex as there have been Mexican folks north of the Rio Grande for several hundred years. Typically, that is why you see flour tortillas here as more wheat was grown than corn during the period that the cuisine was developed.

Plenty of rice is grown in Mexico, though the biggest rice producing state is on the Pacific Coast.

Comment

Tzatziki is yogurt, chopped mint, minced peeled cucumber, olive oil and salt. Very refreshing and very light. Goes well with lamb and beef.

Comment

Working...
                                X