Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on and ride the course, it will come back

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      The key point in what you said was if I “sold” a stock. I’m not selling so I haven’t locked in a lose by converting a down asset to actual dollars . Cash is locking in big loses each month now. That is a given. This is my take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You have lost purchasing power though in the mean time. Youve lost the equity and are incurring inflation, so you may not have a material cash loss, but you do have material loss of purchasing power. The stocks become illiquid because youre forcing yourself to hold to avoid material cash loss.

Comment

So if I bought bitcoin at 63k I'm not down on it or losing money if I HODL? Even if the price reaches 10k again, still not losing?

When you add us assets do you write down what you paid for your house in 1990 and say your worth that much or what you can sell it for now?

FTR - I think we are all screwed. There is no place to hide right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
          You have lost purchasing power though in the mean time. Youve lost the equity and are incurring inflation, so you may not have a material cash loss, but you do have material loss of purchasing power. The stocks become illiquid because youre forcing yourself to hold to avoid material cash loss.
          Im not forcing to myself to do anything. It is a simple decision to let my ownership in great companies ride the ebbs and flows. If I thought I could time the ups and downs I would certainly do so. My stocks will outperform cash over time easily.

I have timed the markets to perfection once....got out 1999-early 2000 and got back in at May 2003. It was based on my gut feeling. It was the only time I sold in mass.

If I sell anything now, Im also incurring a huge tax hit of 20% of the gains. So factor that in as well. Cash is generously losing 10% annually right now and that can never be recover. If you sold equities, you paid 20% tax on the gains and then if you try to rebuy in a year, you only can buy back 90% of what you had. If Im off on my timing even a little bit the math doesnt work in my favor. For those of you that hit it right, my hat is off to you!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            So if I bought bitcoin at 63k I'm not down on it or losing money if I HODL? Even if the price reaches 10k again, still not losing?

When you add us assets do you write down what you paid for your house in 1990 and say your worth that much or what you can sell it for now?

FTR - I think we are all screwed. There is no place to hide right now.
            Bitcoin is not a stable company with a great balance sheet. I dont currently own it but is something I have traded to try and make quick profits. Im thinking of buying some now. Last time I bought in the mid 40s and sold at 60 so it was a nice gain.

As I said before, Ive taken about 15% in investments to cash so Im not totally against some cash right now. Even though Im locking in guaranteed loses being in cash I dont feel good about redeploying it in anything right now. Always looking for a real estate deal but those havent materialized in the past year and a half or so. If that bubble breaks, that is where my money will be headed.

Tim, you have said yourself that when the market rebounds it is going to go up like no time in the past because of how much money has been crammed into the system. This is what Im counting on.

FTR - I think we are all screwed also. When I dont know but I think I will probably see it in my lifetime. Ive been pondering where to put money and assets for most of the past year and cant come up with anything good so that reinforces my position to just keep my money invested in "good" companies.

You guys that are saying you sold in mass, please let us know when you jump back in.
            Last edited by rtp; 05-10-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

"You guys that are saying you sold in mass, please let us know when you jump back in."

This would be nice.
              Because I suck at timing the market.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                Cash-Big Losses? About 2/3rds of a percent each month. Not big to me. Keep trying to act like you know something.

Einstein, tell me again how old you will be when you retire from all of your vast investment expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                  "You guys that are saying you sold in mass, please let us know when you jump back in."

This would be nice.
                  Because I suck at timing the market.

Nearly everyone does. Trading a particular stock and making money is far different than trying to time a basket of stocks and beat the market. Buy hey Sabine has told us his singular pick. So it will be easy to watch how it does vs an index fund.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                    X2 minus going all cash. Id rather invest in some income ( my current stance) so that im getting a return vs loss of equity.

Hoover, what type of income instruments have you moved into? Bonds, Tbillls?

Comment

Man you guys that can time the market should send your resumes to Wall Street considering that there are scores of folks up there with teams or people trying to figure this out 24/7/365 to beat the market indexes and hardly none can do it over the long run after transaction costs, fees and taxes.

Comment

Einstein, tell me again how old you will be when you retire from all of your vast investment expertise.

Even if you jump back in late , you still got your lump sum of money in your hand rather than half. I personally would rather jump back in late with $100 then stay in with what use to be $100 and is now $10 and trying to work all the way back. I used small numbers for my little brain

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          Man you guys that can time the market should send your resumes to Wall Street considering that there are scores of folks up there with teams or people trying to figure this out 24/7/365 to beat the market indexes and hardly none can do it over the long run after transaction costs, fees and taxes.
                          It’s simple , it’s really crappy right now We have been due.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

I’ve only gotten it right twice so far, but I’ve only tried it twice. To be honest, I got incredibly lucky that I got back in at the bottom in 2020. There was no rhyme or reason to why I bought back in… just felt that it had dipped far enough to make decent enough money on the rise regardless of whatever dip was left. Turned out, there was only a couple days of dip left after my purchase went through.

The reason I pulled out in October of this past year never materialized… the world markets acted like the Chinese housing crash never happened… like hundreds of billions in defaults never happened. But, I stayed out because I felt that the artificial rise from the endless money printing of the last 2 years was about done and the markets would have to correct soon.

I didn’t move stuff based on micro ups and down, but because I was uncomfortable with the fundamentals of the market as a whole. Aside from 2 individual stock picks that make up a very small percentage of my investing, everything in my accounts will be in either stable funds, cash, or whole market index funds based on where I feel the market is heading. With only 2 moves since 2019, I don’t think I’m really a “timing the market” guy.

Long term, I think it is dang near impossible to beat the indexes. You may get a couple right from time to time, but the ones you get wrong will probably make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
                              Even if you jump back in late , you still got your lump sum of money in your hand rather than half. I personally would rather jump back in late with $100 then stay in with what use to be $100 and is now $10 and trying to work all the way back. I used small numbers for my little brain

Haha, while I’ll disagree with the first part I can absolutely understand the last part. Plenty of experience with it. [emoji3]

Comment

Haha, while I’ll disagree with the first part I can absolutely understand the last part. Plenty of experience with it. [emoji3]

It’s a crap shoot. We all just trying to make the best out of a **** in the punch bowl. Here’s to hopefully an upturn by end of year.

Comment

Working...
                                X