Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned one thing several years ago, do NOT put all your money into one fund, stock, etc. Diversify, diversify, diversify!

Comment

Gosh dang the last 1 month have not been pretty.

I am down $70-80k in the snap of a finger on my play around account.

Haven't even logged into my HSA, 401k or roth. I don't want to I may cry

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Take a peek at series I bonds.
        I maxed out one and one for my wife last month. Gonna pull about 8.45% for the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          At 820 now, TSLA has a PE of 110 or so, way above industry avg. I think it is still way overvalued but it is sexy to the younger folk. Me? I have 25/75 where 25 percent is ATT at 8 PE and over 5 percent dividend. 75 percent is cash for the last 5 mos.
          This ATT? Down 30+% and even factoring in dividends is a losing investment. S&p 500 kicked its butt right?

Comment

Yes, that one. You had to go back 5 years, right. No problem, don't buy it if you don't want to. Its a steal right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              What are you talking about? Djia is down 10percent for the year and I haven't lost anything. Do you know what you are talking about?

You make me laugh. You think you are smart but you’re not. Do you even understand how inflation is eating away at your cash every month? That is something that can never be recovered. Last month’s inflation was annualized at 8.5%. So if nothing changes your cash will lose 8.5% over the next 11 months. Gone forever.

My shares of Tesla or Exxon or Microsoft etc will recover what they have lost and then some. Your cash won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW412 View Post
                I maxed out one and one for my wife last month. Gonna pull about 8.45% for the next year.

Same— got 9.62%
                Crazy!
                It’s not much of a nut but it’s a hell of a guaranteed return.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  You make me laugh. You think you are smart but you’re not. Do you even understand how inflation is eating away at your cash every month? That is something that can never be recovered. Last month’s inflation was annualized at 8.5%. So if nothing changes your cash will lose 8.5% over the next 11 months. Gone forever.

My shares of Tesla or Exxon or Microsoft etc will recover what they have lost and then some. Your cash won’t.

If you're in stocks that are down 10% then you lose twice..The 10% and then to inflation. If you're in cash you may loose to just inflation but can buy stocks at a discount and when they recover you have more.

But having 25% of one's account in one stock is never good. I promise a TBHer doesn't know if ATT is a good buy down here. Probably has no clue why it's down so low in the first place.

I just wish I would have went to all cash in December when I saw this coming. But geez up until a few weeks ago the markets had me wondering because they didn't want to fall much. Now they don't gain any traction to the upside. Crazy world. We may all end up broke before this is over.

Comment

Same here

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
                    Moved portfolio into a conservative MIP2 .
                    Down 10% since November so switched it today. Hope to retire in October-November of this year so can’t lose anymore

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      TSLA I have 2 opinions.
                      1. Overpriced by a lot

2. Underpriced IF they get everything squared away and enter the cell phone market using Starlink so people can have near 100% cell coverage. But that's a huge if.

Sabine - ATT sucks. What will they do when Starlink takes more of their customer base?

Starlink is not TSLA… it is SpaceX (which is not publicly traded) two entirely different companies.

Comment

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

If you're in stocks that are down 10% then you lose twice..The 10% and then to inflation. If you're in cash you may loose to just inflation but can buy stocks at a discount and when they recover you have more.

But having 25% of one's account in one stock is never good. I promise a TBHer doesn't know if ATT is a good buy down here. Probably has no clue why it's down so low in the first place.

I just wish I would have went to all cash in December when I saw this coming. But geez up until a few weeks ago the markets had me wondering because they didn't want to fall much. Now they don't gain any traction to the upside. Crazy world. We may all end up broke before this is over.

Tim tell me how I’m losing twice on owning a stock long term? If I own 10 shares of XYZ companies, 10% inflation doesn’t mean I’ll own 9 shares a year later. I respect your opinions on stocks and such. It has been proven that the avg guy can’t beat the long term growth returns of the markets by trying to time the peaks and valleys. 99+% of what I own are all well established solid companies with great balance sheets.

Last edited by rtp; 05-10-2022, 04:45 AM.

Comment

If you take cash versus stocks right now and skip ahead 10 years then the stocks win every time (past history) by a long shot. Not even close.

If you look month to month or the last 6 months it would have been far better to sit in cash. Looks like nearly every investment other than real estate has lost money. Any of those investments bought between last summer and now that are sold will net less money. Money that's also worth less now due to inflation.

You are way better than me at investing long term (and otherwise). I'm only good at predicting market moves but suck at executing and making money off the moves.

But simply put stock xyz is worth money. That money is the same money being hurt by inflation. But I get what you're saying as it's a basic principle. Technically you take the average PE and after inflation once stocks correct back to average PE that stock should be worth more including the bump in inflation (to sum up quick).

Comment

If you take cash versus stocks right now and skip ahead 10 years then the stocks win every time (past history) by a long shot. Not even close.

If you look month to month or the last 6 months it would have been far better to sit in cash. Looks like nearly every investment other than real estate has lost money. Any of those investments bought between last summer and now that are sold will net less money. Money that's also worth less now due to inflation.

You are way better than me at investing long term (and otherwise). I'm only good at predicting market moves but suck at executing and making money off the moves.

But simply put stock xyz is worth money. That money is the same money being hurt by inflation. But I get what you're saying as it's a basic principle. Technically you take the average PE and after inflation once stocks correct back to average PE that stock should be worth more including the bump in inflation (to sum up quick).

The key point in what you said was if I “sold” a stock. I’m not selling so I haven’t locked in a lose by converting a down asset to actual dollars . Cash is locking in big loses each month now. That is a given. This is my take.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              The key point in what you said was if I “sold” a stock. I’m not selling so I haven’t locked in a lose by converting a down asset to actual dollars . Cash is locking in big loses each month now. That is a given. This is my take.

Cash-Big Losses? About 2/3rds of a percent each month. Not big to me. Keep trying to act like you know something.

Comment

X2 minus going all cash. Id rather invest in some income ( my current stance) so that im getting a return vs loss of equity.

Comment

Working...
                                X