Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeamAmerica
    replied
    Yep I may lose a bit on WAL. I thought they could survive Q1 earnings release but things still very unstable.

Fundrise is real estate private reit. Small $ minimum investment.

Leave a comment:

• RiverRat1
    replied
    WAL getting crushed again.

What's Fundrise?

Leave a comment:

• TeamAmerica
    replied
    Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    Buying a few of the smaller battered bank stocks. WAL and CMA. Hopefully long term hold with dividends.
    WAL up 24% today! But I think there are more pains ahead. Hang in there boys.

I'll probably put a little more into Fundrise as I like their dividends.

Leave a comment:

• BrianL
    replied
    Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    Buying a few of the smaller battered bank stocks. WAL and CMA. Hopefully long term hold with dividends.
    Check out GNTY.

Leave a comment:

• TeamAmerica
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bbbuck
    replied
    The days of free capital and gone. Corporations buy long term treasury bonds and those rates are dropping putting pressure on companies to survive with inflation increases. Powell is in a tight position, keep raising interest rates to fight inflation or lower rates as markets are suggesting because businesses are starting to see the effects. My guess is he can’t go back on his word last week so he raises.25% to keep face next week. Pre-markets down 600 points. Wait until the White House cannot pull from the strategic oil reserves and oil goes up causing higher costs for everything. Current policy of free, free, free has caused this!

Leave a comment:

• TeamAmerica
    replied
    .25% in March. Then another .5% rest of the year is my guess. Fed rate at 5.5%. Powell is on a mission.

Leave a comment:

• txbowman12
    replied
    Originally posted by glen View Post
    With everything in recent events do you guys see a shift in Fed Reserve predictions. I was reading over 2023 a raise in rates between 1 and 1.5 and then probably stability in 2024. I was wondering if the banking will change the Fed predictions
    In my opinion (worth the internet paper it's printed on), I think Powell stays the course but comes in with a 25bps hike. Inflation still persistent based on todays CPI report, PPI report in the morning will be another major factor.

The banking industry is trying to strongarm the fed into pausing the rate hikes. Every rate hike makes their bond holdings worth less and less. Powell's been pretty clear about the goal and the Fed's plan. The reality is that they (the govt) actually handled this pretty well. Since 2008 banks have funded an insurance fund for this scenario. The depositors are made whole, prevents a huge wave of money moving 100 different directions and a lot of noise in the market, the bank goes away and on we go.

SVB was a special case (and special kind of stupid) and got burnt. Bank failures aren't unheard of and the real risk is that depositors all panic at once and cause contagion.

Leave a comment:

• BrianL
    replied
    Originally posted by Man View Post
    So what does "FDIC insured for up to 250,000" mean going forward if Biden is ensuring that you can get every penny out from your account at Silicon Valley?
    FDIC is guaranteeing up to $250K, but they can do more. Difference in this vs 2008 is it is an asset liability management miss. It isn't that there was an actual loss but an accounting loss which created a liquidity issue.

Leave a comment:

• BrianL
    replied
    I'm all in again as of a few minutes ago. The last of my stocks hit their buy mark for me.... Now it's just the waiting game for a run.

Leave a comment:

• Man
    replied
    So what does "FDIC insured for up to 250,000" mean going forward if Biden is ensuring that you can get every penny out from your account at Silicon Valley?

Leave a comment:

• glen
    replied
    With everything in recent events do you guys see a shift in Fed Reserve predictions. I was reading over 2023 a raise in rates between 1 and 1.5 and then probably stability in 2024. I was wondering if the banking will change the Fed predictions

Leave a comment:

• Huntingfool
    replied
    Originally posted by Man View Post
    Oh ok..that makes sense.
    yep - called a "run on the banks" - go google the Great Depression and see how all of that came about - history repeats itself over and over - I hope this is not the start of something similar - and when the government (Joe) tells you that "all is well" that is when you really need to start being worried

Leave a comment:

• Man
    replied
    Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

The fear is if people start withdrawing money to move to where it's safe more banks fail = everyone freaks out = all banks fail.
    Oh ok..that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• CTR0022
    replied
    Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    So how did markets go positive if most banks are tanking? LOL

I assume markets in general are pricing in the FED pivoting and lowering rates? If so I think they are in for a rude awakening.
    I dont think anyone care. They believe the government will bail them out.

Unfortunately tell me one asset class that is not over priced?

I'm starting to believe in some of these dooms dayers more and more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X