wind turbines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    Hard to pass up 5k a year per windmill, but I do understand its not ideal. Animals will come back and get use to it.
    Yep, animals could care less from what folks out west have said. Well, birds are kinda dumb .......lol!
    Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
    Won’t bother the animals. Happened to us 10 yrs ago or so and by year 2 the deer were back and regular. Many got used to seeing daily traffic and only thing that worried me was someone poaching them. Some of the best hunting we have ever had now. Definitely don’t like to see or hear them but in a way they are pretty neat. Hopefully things go in your favor next season.

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
      Either your blind is way out of level or the windmill is leaning.
      neither .. blind is level and windmill is straight .. just an optical illusion or the lens on my phone .. i took it with the .5 lens to get the whole thing .. the tip is so high up , it looks like it's overhead ..

I didn't think about ice shed .. my blind is totally in line depending on which way the wind blows ... i definitely won't be using it when it ices over.. thanks for that tip!

the drone video was pretty cool to do .. i had a hard time telling how close I was when flying through the blades , but the proximity sensors never went off ... they are just that big ..

Comment

better than solar but they are ugly to look at in the open plains.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          No. It's not. I didn't buy my place to look at windmills.
          one guy across the road built a giant house , i bet he sunk 1 mil on that place .. beautiful views ... till now ... he's now surrounded by these things .. i sure hope he likes looking at them ..

not sure if i've ever seen anyone buying a place for the view of wind turbines ..
          i'd imagine he just lost a bunch of value over this ...

they say statistics don't show windmills hurting values ... but they measure values based on sales ... if you can't sell your property at all it never ends up showing as a "sale" so there's that ...

i sure didn't make any money on this deal ... i hope my place didn't lose value, but it's hard to tell ..

it's only a weekend place to hunt and shoot guns ... i'm sure glad i didn't build a house to retire there.

Comment

What kind of drone do you have?

Comment

Those pieces of junk sure have screwed up some beautiful sky lines across this state..
              If they are so lucrative why does it take government subsidies to fund them??

Comment

I live on a family farm that we also hunt and is now surrounded on 3 sides with 4600 acres of solar farm. Deer movement this year has been little to none with all the traffic, loss of habitat, fences going up and changing migration paths, etc. Landowners were offered $750/year for 20 years here, but we turned it down.

Comment

I'm sure the animals will grow accustomed to them, but they have destroyed beautiful views all over the state.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    That sucks

There should be a law that they can be no closer to a property line than the distance it would take to contain them

The one behind that stand does not look like it is far enough to not squash you if it fell that direction
                    Back in the late 90's I worked for a company that built the casons (sp?) for cell towers. We was on site drilling the second one of 3 when then company rep came out and gave us the stop work order.
                    Foreman called boss, boss said drill we drilled.
                    Boss called 3 hrs later said stop work.

We sat there 3 days. They had to move the tower location. If it fell It'd block the road.

Comment

What effected us wasn't the completion part, you see now. It was the seismic work and dozers and skid steers for clearing brush for the initial access. Around 2014 we had 2 pastures both around 2600 acres, one got 11 turbines and the other 3. The one with 11 still doesn't have deer numbers it had prior to all this taking place and a few of us had brush cleared and access roads running between stand and feeders, some were told to relocate, and I ended up with a new turbine less than 100 yds from my set up.
                      We ended up splitting up the pastures over this and the main issue now is the maintenance crews showing up to make repairs with generators, compressors, and blasting the radio. They also installed 3 right above our camp and it took awhile to get accustomed to the whoosh whoosh sound while trying to go to sleep. In the end I'm on a lease and don't own it so I have an option, but hasn't bothered me enough to pull out yet.

Comment

Movement will be back to normal within a year. A lot of ranches in Kenedy County have wind turbines up and have no issues. Like mentioned above that tower is pretty close to your blind. I’ve worked on wind turbines for 5+ years and I can tell you I would want to be that close to one if it flings a blade off, falls over, or catches fire…. It happens, and as far as seizures and bothers cows that’s a bunch of BS lmao the cows gather in the shade of them.

Comment

We may be loosing our lease because of solar panels. I have been on this lease 20 years, in Victoria county. It’s 8000 acres. They are drilling test holes every where. I hope every test hole fails. Don’t know what we are going to do if we have to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                            What kind of drone do you have?
                            it's a DJI mavic zoom . ND8 filter , 4k 30fps .

Comment

They installed them on our lease this year and animals don’t seem to care a bit about it so I wouldn’t be worried about animal movement in the next year or so.

Definitely not a pretty thing to look and they are noisy when you’re up close to them. Was bow hunting not too far from one the other day and could hear the constant humming, but didn’t think much of the noise. Once it turned off, I realized how noisy it was and could enjoy the sound of pure nature….until it turned on again.

But, farmers are getting tired of losing crops every year (especially down here in the RGV) and money talks, so they aren’t going away anytime soon. They’re popping up all around me in Harlingen. We can all sit back and complain and be disgruntled about them all we want, but at the end of the day, they aren’t going anywhere so might as well get used to it and keep doing what you’re doing and enjoy the outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                                Movement will be back to normal within a year. A lot of ranches in Kenedy County have wind turbines up and have no issues. Like mentioned above that tower is pretty close to your blind. I’ve worked on wind turbines for 5+ years and I can tell you I would want to be that close to one if it flings a blade off, falls over, or catches fire…. It happens, and as far as seizures and bothers cows that’s a bunch of BS lmao the cows gather in the shade of them.
                                X2

They’re making that up to give another reason to hate them.

Comment

Working...
                                X