wind turbines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    They are buying up 1,000's of acres here on the coast for solar farms.. I know of 500 acres of hay field that just sold for 19 MILLION.. Soon to be an ugly azz solar farm.. I'm sure "stimulus money" bought it..
    Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    Be hard to pass up $38K per acre

But I agree, windmills and solar farms are eye sores and I can't imagine profitable enough on their own to be good investments. More waste of taxpayer dollars most likely
    Best part is seller just happens to be someone friends with someone.. They never just buy land at that high a price from a regular guy.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
      Never heard of a tower needing oil replaced every year… By chance do you know what models they are? All the ones I’ve worked on are either 2 or 8 years old and they’ve never needed oil replacement. Coolant yes though.
      if you look at my video , the big rectangle on top looks like a huge radiator to me , and there are 2 pipes going to them from the side ... i would assume it's either coolant or oil circulating through it ...

the other farm north of these don't have that at all , just a straight white body ..
      i've heard people say they have seen oil leaking out of them ... never seen it myself ..

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
        [ATTACH]1075379[/ATTACH]

We have one 300 yards southeast and one 300 yards southwest of our camp. Only one positive the landowner gets 12,000 a year per tower. It’s like camping on Jet runway, sunrise / sunset shadows, and yes they are always working on them. I love everything about my lease like the location, price, and quality of animals. But sitting around the campfire isn’t what is use to be.

Tried to upload a video of the shadows coming across camp, not sure if I know how to upload videos.
        Wow - That really sucks!

Comment

So far we have dodged them but they are getting closer.

Did have to allow a high voltage transmission line across the front of my place that buzzes all the time

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
            if you look at my video , the big rectangle on top looks like a huge radiator to me , and there are 2 pipes going to them from the side ... i would assume it's either coolant or oil circulating through it ...

the other farm north of these don't have that at all , just a straight white body ..
            i've heard people say they have seen oil leaking out of them ... never seen it myself ..
            Looks like Vestas V120 to me, that’s the make and model. That’s coolant up there, it cools down some of the electronics inside the cabinets. Needs to be changed out every 5-6 years. It’s about 30 gallons.

Comment

Good conversation, as I have watched them for well over a decade and always wondered about the IN's & OUT's of that industry. There are obviously differences in the windmill units as the ones in IOWA & KANSAS, etc did not freeze during the GREAT freeze of last year and never stopped spinning. The folks down here better get on the upgrade list. Cell towers get a lot of flack as know one wants them either, but at least they are camouflaging them in some places to look like a tree. Oil rigs dotted the landscape in some areas and chemical plants have dotted the banks of the lower Mississippi River for 70+ years and severely restricted access to the river itself. Now that lower Mississippi River area is globally known as "cancer alley" between Baton Rouge & NOLA with the highest rates of cancer in the world. Oh, and most of the monies are sent back overseas, but those are GOOD jobs.
              I have learned until that wind driven energy can be captured & stored it will be a work in progress and that's understandable. But that is no different than overcoming some of the issues electricity and big oil had to deal with. I have faith it will all be figured out if it proves to be the best option. I know kerosene was still a thing for some communities even in the early 1970's..........electricity & oil won out in the end thankfully. Is there not something potentially better or that can enhance oil and gas? Absolutely! It may not be this wind technology but you have to run the gambits to find out. Heck, nuclear and dam's are still on the map and evolving.
              Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
              For the same exact reason the govt subsidizes oil, gas, and coal. Making rich folks richer.
              .........shhhhh!
              Originally posted by RMW View Post
              10k a year per turbine
              ........i had no idea!
              [quote=Box-R;16014898]
              Originally posted by imyomama View Post
              Not sure why you threw in the "made in China" since DJI (your drone) is a Chinese company.

I might trade; a rock quarry moved in across from us and over the last few years have built a 250ft tall, very large, mound of rock AND imported a few dozen (illegal?) workers who shoot up all the deer that they see, so, yeah, I'd probably trade all that for a windmill.
              All about perspective! Plus one's need and goals for their land.
              Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Oh yea I know.. It wasn't really a question because I knew the answer. I was just being sarcastic..
              I was thinking as much. Subsidies, tax abatements etcetera are incredibly lucrative to almost every industry with any type of political swat. I ain't against cutting them for everyone of them. New technology or the ones that have been cranking for eon's. Let private investors carry the load for whatever is deemed as a good idea/technology. But, we all know that aint gonna happen.
              Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              Do I want them on my property, no! But I also can see the flip side of those who choose, what makes America great.
              Hard to challenge that premise.
              Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              I would call it greedy for those trying to control others properties. Guessing you also dislike oil production, sand minding, etc? Personally, define this as capitalism.
              Bottom line! It is a tricky situation and quite understandable from all "three" perspectives. As a outdoorsman I prefer them not to be so overwhelming to the landscape. As a property owner, business owner and a capitalist makes me always open to a business opportunity. It is MY CHOICE at the end of the day as a citizen! Send the bastages to Smith & Bowie County as I am tired of looking at my 60 foot tall International Paper loblolly pine trees........lol!!! Yep, all about perspective!

Comment

And they are horribly inefficient at creating energy

Comment

Originally posted by CoachS View Post
                  And they are horribly inefficient at creating energy
                  They are right now for sure, TBoone said as much after huge investment with this industry. Maybe the tech will catch up one day but it ain’t there currently, the juice is not worth the squeeze right now. The federal govt is the only thing propping it up while they say pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Comment

Working...
                  X