No announcement yet.

Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD hasn’t hurt opening day for me. Nobody around us has it that I know of. It may be because I started hunting as an adult, but the 4 hour drive after work to get to the lease the night before the opener is still filled with excitement the whole way. I think a lot of hunting is just management anyway these days. You have people with pics of the same deer for five years just waiting for him to get big enough to “hunt” him, which means showing up at the stand he comes to 5 or 6 days a week and waiting for the shot they want. I don’t care if they do that in October or February, or anytime in between. They can use a bow, gun, or rock for all I care. I know that’s not all MLD places, or west Texas places, or high fence places. But for me the excitement of the unknown, of having to get a little lucky, of having a deer I’ve never seen before show up, all those things, still makes hunting and opening day a blast.
    Last edited by bullets13; 09-23-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
      MLD hasn’t hurt opening day for me. Nobody around us has it that I know of. It may be because I started hunting as an adult, but the 4 hour drive after work to get to the lease the night before the opener is still filled with excitement the whole way. I think a lot of hunting is just management anyway these days. You have people with pics of the same deer for five years just waiting for him to get big enough to “hunt” him, which means showing up at the stand he comes to 5 or 6 days a week and waiting for the shot they want. I don’t care if they do that in October or February, or anytime in between. They can use a bow, gun, or rock for all I care. I know that’s not all MLD places, or west Texas places, or high fence places. But for me the excitement of the unknown, of having to get a little lucky, of having a deer I’ve never seen before show up, all those things, still makes hunting and opening day a blast.
      Yes, sir, to me there needs to be a little romance in formula.

About all I do these days(as pertaining to hunting) is recalling the early years of my bowhunting. All of my bowhunting friends have passed.

Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        That additional time at the beginning of the season is simply not needed
        Why do you believe that? It’s a great time to knock down your doe numbers before they are bred as well take care of your cull/management deer before they have a chance to breed the does you aren’t shooting. Also, if you are hunting a specific trophy deer, it helps to have a better chance of catching him on a consistent pattern and before he is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          Well, first, and most logically
          Great answer. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

The lack of opening day/weekend threads these days makes me think so, I mean look there's zero in the campfire right now.

Comment

For me archery season did. Got skunked so im waiting on the rut and freeze. Forget tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                Yeah I really miss all those days of hunting east TX and maybe seeing a single deer in a season, let alone kill one.

No thank you.
                Lmao

Comment

First opening day on my own property so I'm still excited. Pretty much nobody else in my family is into hunting or the outdoors. My 4 year old boy is all about it though. So it's me and a friend heading to Newton County tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    90* temps ruined opening day for me.

I used to have to hunt it because of tradition but I'd rather make opening dove and get to the deer when it's cooler.
                    I'm super amped for tomorrow with this cooler weather.

Comment

I’m always excited for both openers. I already shot my buck, no reason to really go but I’m here anyways

Comment

The upside to MLD opening early....the bucks are in great shape pre-rut. Heavy and fat.

Comment

We went when I was a kid for sure but for us that was our vacation because during the summer we were too busy trying to make 3,000 sqaures.

Now days even hunting mainly with a bow I don't get serious about hunting till the week before thanksgiving or even December. I get 3-4 deer on my lease and I can harvest them in about a week unless I'm waiting out for a nice buck.

Comment

I was gonna stir the pot a little...but reading some of this lunacy, I realized it wasn’t needed

Good luck to all you drunken rifle hunters in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              I support the reason fir MLD but there is no logical reason it needs to start early
                              Same thought here. If It is about reducing numbers , make it doe only. But don’t mention unbroken horns in the same sentence. Or being unable to distinguish bucks with dropped horns from a doe
                              Yes I have hunted both. Fire away.
                              Last edited by Big pig; 11-06-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas
                                yes I think it did to an extent......just like opening day of dove season has ruined that tradition when it starts on a tuesday or wednesday instead of a friday

Looking at the deer contest websites down here, you have to kill a 200" buck to make it on the leader board, and the regular season hasn't even started yet. Alot of white horned big uglies get killed on opening day of MLD season

Comment

Working...
                                X