Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
    The lack of opening day/weekend threads these days makes me think so, I mean look there's zero in the campfire right now.

That's because opening day on Texas Bowhunter was 10/2 for most folks......we are 30 days past opening day excitement. My lease is 97% bow preferred and we usually don't show up on the rifle opener...at least not on purpose. On the bow opener our camp is packed.

Last edited by Smart; 11-06-2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Naw.
      We are MLD3 and it’s great for the kids, improved my opening weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

early mld is crap if you’re high fenced i have no problem with it but if it’s low fenced and you get to shoot rifle before your neighbors do that ain’t right
        and i’ll be the Ahole to say it but youth season the weekend before gun opener is crap to all that activity and shooting is good for either the last weekend of bow or gun for every one else
        don’t say oh man we got to give the kids a chance to get them into hunting they can hunt opening weekend like everyone else did
        i think the real reason for the early opening of mld is mainly so these package hunt places can run another month of paying customers not to control numbers heck hey get to hunt till the end of february

Comment

Every and any day I can go to the ranch, either off season or MLD season, is great to me

Opening day is just another day

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
            Every and any day I can go to the ranch, either off season or MLD season, is great to me

Opening day is just another day

While I’m sure everyone agrees with your premise, it still isn’t the same as the anticipation and tradition of opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
              yes I think it did to an extent......just like opening day of dove season has ruined that tradition when it starts on a tuesday or wednesday instead of a friday

Looking at the deer contest websites down here, you have to kill a 200" buck to make it on the leader board, and the regular season hasn't even started yet. Alot of white horned big uglies get killed on opening day of MLD season
              Since when has dove season not started on September 1

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                That's because opening day on Texas Bowhunter was 10/2 for most folks......we are 30 days past opening day excitement. My lease is 97% bow preferred and we usually don't show up on the rifle opener...at least not on purpose. On the bow opener our camp is packed.

I'd bet most people on this website don't even bowhunt

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                  and i’ll be the Ahole to say it but youth season the weekend before gun opener is crap to all that activity and shooting is good for either the last weekend of bow or gun for every one else
                  don’t say oh man we got to give the kids a chance to get them into hunting they can hunt opening weekend like everyone else did
                  Preach, I agree 100%. They are all worried about recruitment so lets add more days to the season when the problem is most can't find affordable ways/places to hunt. They need to be putting more emphasis on adding youth hunts to the TPWD draw and TYHP. We havent done TYHP the last few years but what I'm hearing its a bit disorganized since covid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    While I’m sure everyone agrees with your premise, it still isn’t the same as the anticipation and tradition of opening day.

Opening day bow or gun? Deer or elk?

Started elk bow hunting first week of September. I do get excited for that as it is out of state and in a place not frequented throughout the year.

We bow hunt the month of Oct and been in either a tree, tripod, ladder stand, or bow blind the last month. Been able to see most bucks on the property.

Rut is always fun as new bucks tend to show up.

Maybe it is elk and bow, not MLD that has taken the thrill out of opening weekend with the smoke stick

Comment

early mld is crap if you’re high fenced i have no problem with it but if it’s low fenced and you get to shoot rifle before your neighbors do that ain’t right
                      i think the real reason for the early opening of mld is mainly so these package hunt places can run another month of paying customers not to control numbers heck hey get to hunt till the end of february

Chin up big fella, somebody will invite you on a trophy hunt one day [emoji57][emoji57][emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                        Opening day bow or gun? Deer or elk?

Started elk bow hunting first week of September. I do get excited for that as it is out of state and in a place not frequented throughout the year.

We bow hunt the month of Oct and been in either a tree, tripod, ladder stand, or bow blind the last month. Been able to see most bucks on the property.

Rut is always fun as new bucks tend to show up.

Maybe it is elk and bow, not MLD that has taken the thrill out of opening weekend with the smoke stick
                        I’m going to go out on a limb and say that might be true for you but probably 99% of the people that are hunting deer in Texas, are not going out of state to Elk hunt.

Comment

Since when has dove season not started on September 1
                          since when did you last hunt in south Texas for dove?

Comment

Cool.
                            I’ll be the ahole and let my kids gun hunt before the neighbors
                            Won’t lose a wink of sleep overt it either

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Well, opening day of bow season is opening day of MLD season. So if your neighbors are MLD you just might hear gunshots.
                              I know and it is surprising. We have a high-fenced ranch next to us that I would think to be MLD.....have not heard gun shots the last eight seasons. Strange because it is a large place. Maybe they didn’t sign up or something.

Comment

I remember when people that wanted a day to be special did it on their own and didn’t worry about what the neighbors or other people held “special” to them…

Comment

Working...
                                X