Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    I think it's more of a tax, and a way for the state to get the citizens to do it's dirty work.
    Bingo! We ceased MLD program for this reason or one of the reasons.

Comment

Somebody close this stupid thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        Oh yall are out there. Sounds like wwII on opening day.

But I see what you did and there may be some truth to it. But opening weekend in the middle of the rut allows every idiot with a license to have a pretty good chance at killing a buck. Meanwhile many of those people only want meat and don't care at all about managing a healthy balanced herd. And that screws it up for everyone. To get within 30 yards of a deer and kill it with a bow takes a little more work than a bunch if party animals drinking beer in a box blind and killing a 1.5 year old from 250 yards. They mainly showed up to get our of the house and hang with the guys. Which is great, but if it were only one weekend later many deer would make it to older age classes. Btw, I'm not saying this is you or anyone here, but you know these types. It's their only day in the deer woods.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
        The comment that you'd quoted was said (mostly) in jest; I was being facetious.

That said, for anyone to say "oh well you can't hunt with a rifle during the rut because some drunken idiots on a lease on the other side of the state are killing yearling bucks" is preposterous. And frankly I hear relatively little shooting around us in October anyway, even though all the clubs in the area are MLDP too.

I think most of us idiots want to kill bucks. I certainly do. And I really just don't care much to bow hunt as much as others. I'm not out there to party, hell I don't even drink, so does that mean I shouldn't be able to kill a buck?

I do agree though that the opening weekend beer hunters are a PITA. I'm not naïve enough to not understand how fortunate I am that neither of the places I hunt have issues of this kind. I realize plenty of people trying to do right are undermined constantly by these types. And that sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          The comment that you'd quoted was said (mostly) in jest; I was being facetious.

That said, for anyone to say "oh well you can't hunt with a rifle during the rut because some drunken idiots on a lease on the other side of the state are killing yearling bucks" is preposterous. And frankly I hear relatively little shooting around us in October anyway, even though all the clubs in the area are MLDP too.

I think most of us idiots want to kill bucks. I certainly do. And I really just don't care much to bow hunt as much as others. I'm not out there to party, hell I don't even drink, so does that mean I shouldn't be able to kill a buck?

I do agree though that the opening weekend beer hunters are a PITA. I'm not naïve enough to not understand how fortunate I am that neither of the places I hunt have issues of this kind. I realize plenty of people trying to do right are undermined constantly by these types. And that sucks.
          Its not really a beer hunt if theyre trapped in my cooler on ice.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
            Well it’s all MLD’s fault

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
              ....And the delusion that people have that you have to shoot does early because they will be bred later in the year is stupid. Once they are dead they ain't having a baby either way.
              It's funny how some people dont get this.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                It's funny how some people dont get this.
                its simple logic really, why they should be shot early, funny how yall dont get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  Its not really a beer hunt if theyre trapped in my cooler on ice.....
                  that could bring on a whole notheer argument!!!!!! I'll refrain

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                    Why? Because you don't like it, it should go away?

Comment

Plus, it'll make for some awesome stories in the Mistakes made by guests thread on here that hasn't been refreshed lately. LOL

Originally posted by jfk47 View Post
                      If you are on a lease that has to kill 150 does and 50 cull bucks and you think it is a pain in the a#$, then here's a suggestion. Why not open up your lease for a weekend or two for all the guys on here that don't have a place to hunt or are not lucky enough to get on a lease and let then come in an shoot a doe or cull buck. Sounds like a win-win to me. Because now, if you shoot 150 does, what do you do with all the meat ? Are you going to tell me that you skin 150 does every year and only keep the meat from one or two. Or do you just shoot them and let they lay ?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        its simple logic really, why they should be shot early, funny how yall dont get it.
                        Break it down for em. What's the logic?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                          Break it down for em. What's the logic?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                          Well, first, and most logically

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                            I have no doubt with you Chance that if there wasn't an extended season, you could fill your tags during regular season. My point is, it was lobbied for by big hunting outfitters that they needed more time because they couldn't fill all the tags and in reality it was about extra hunting time for clients. The private ranches like yours don't fall into that category. I don't have a problem with MLD, it is just the guise they used to gain extra hunting time. I have hunted MLD plenty as well as non MLD.
                            Why do you care how much hunting time a place on MLD has? It sure feels like this thread is full of jealous people who hunt on properties where they don't see many deer.

Maybe there's a reason MLD places have so many deer.. Maybe?

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I think it's more of a tax, and a way for the state to get the citizens to do it's dirty work.
                            It is now.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                              only thing is, early is subjective.

Comment

Guess I am old school. Yea at 81 , guess I am!!! LOL.... But over all the years, in several states, opening rifle season was always special. Looked forward too the special date. I am also a bow hunter, but IMOP everyone has the same opportunity to hunt your special deer with a gun or Bow. Not a fan of MLD or special dates for others. (you can blast away but just MOP...

Comment

Working...
                                X