ExxonMobil Beaumont Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    Try again. I will give you a prime example. Marathon Garyville, La. pays their hourly workers appx $1 more an hour than the represented sites. They also receive about a 1/2 pct larger bonus each year. Garyville is non union. The company does this to keep them from going union. So, basically Garyville should be thanking the represented workers that fight for the raises and benefits that they receive. Whatever we receive the company will add a little to keep them non union and happy.

That’s how that works.
    Correct.

Comment

Yes. Because I worked a chit load of overtime like I have for the 30+ years while others work 40 hrs a week and tell you how tough they have it

So, lets talk about that boys and girls.

Haha. You’re bragging to the wrong person about the number of hrs you worked and overtime you got paid for. A slow week for me is 55hrs. Normal is over 60. All salaried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The problem with Unions is that companies know that no one wants or simply can’t afford to strike. Big home mortgage, boats, motorcycles, etc. I will say that I am grateful for what I get paid and my benefits. Those are the result of Unions fighting for better wages and benefits. Companies are getting rid of Pensions and other benefits or replacing them with less desirable packages. I’m not complaining. Happy to be employed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
          Haha. You’re bragging to the wrong person about the number of hrs you worked and overtime you got paid for. A slow week for me is 55hrs. Normal is over 60. All salaried.

Sounds like your getting cornholed......unless you base is over $220K

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
            “Employer taxes pay for unemployment benefits. Employers pay unemployment insurance taxes and reimbursements that support unemployment benefit payments to workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.”
            In the end it’s the consumer that pays, not the company.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
              In the end it’s the consumer that pays, not the company.
              That is true but you could probably say that for almost every penny ever spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Not bragging. Just telling you the facts. I know what I signed up for and I am glad to do it. Working holidays, nights, weekends, in the weather, all part of it. All we expect is for the company to follow the contract they signed. If they did not like the contract they should not have signed it.

If you enjoy being salary more power to you. I have had that chance many times over. I just don’t like working for free.

Comment

Not bragging. Just telling you the facts. I know what I signed up for and I am glad to do it. Working holidays, nights, weekends, in the weather, all part of it. All we expect is for the company to follow the contract they signed. If they did not like the contract they should not have signed it.

If you enjoy being salary more power to you. I have had that chance many times over. I just don’t like working for free.
                  Isn’t this what is happening in Beaumont? Either the company and/or the union didn’t like the contract so they refuse to sign?

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                    Isn’t this what is happening in Beaumont? Either the company and/or the union didn’t like the contract so they refuse to sign?
                    I am not involved with their negotiations.

Comment

Mobile was a good company Exxon is some sorry mfs. Good luck to all the people that work there but Exxon is going to play hardball

Comment

I am not involved with their negotiations.
                        If there was a strike notice given by the union, then a subsequent lock out notice by Exxon, I’d assume neither side could come to an agreement. I’m not involved in the negotiations, nor am I a rocket surgeon but that’s usually the way it works according my understanding.

Your statement earlier, ‘If they did not like the contract they should have not signed it’ is what it comes down to in all negotiations, if one or both sides isn’t satisfied they don’t have to sign. There’s typically consequences for signing it along with consequences for not signing. I know great folks on both sides of this negotiation, overall it’s not a great situation for anyone. Fingers crossed they can reach a resolution sooner rather than later.

Comment

out here where I work there there are no unions to speak of. when a company tries to get a little too controlling it's easy to pack up your tools and move to the next place down the road. the companies are forced to compete for skilled labor so there are good benefits and usually decent raises. its rare for someone to spend more than 6 years at one company due to the competition offering more per hour and lots of OT. we have experienced diesel mechanics making 150k+

Comment

From my experiences of 35 plus years in the settings, such as these large chem or refinery there isn’t much turnover with the company employees. Now the contractors that support the plants there is more frequent turnover as sharpstick mentions.

Comment

Who would leave a job making 50 bucks a hr and sitting in a control room. I know plenty operator's and they have it made, but its not easy to get a job with a plant anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                                Who would leave a job making 50 bucks a hr and sitting in a control room. I know plenty operator's and they have it made, but its not easy to get a job with a plant anymore.
                                You are correct. I sit in on hiring panels years back and the ratio of applicants to jobs was unreal. But it’s not for everyone shift work and very boring.

Hopefully an agreement can be reached in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X