ExxonMobil Beaumont Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    I always get a kick out of the comments from people that have no or very little knowledge of how unions work. And, that all unions and their bylaws are not created equal. No matter what your pappy, grand pappy, media, or Google tells you.

And even more people that do not know the difference in a strike and a lockout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always get a kick out of the comments from people that have no or very little knowledge of how unions work. And, that all unions and their bylaws are not created equal. No matter what your pappy, grand pappy, media, or Google tells you.
      I honestly don’t know how they work. But from the outside looking in it just seems like a bunch of cry babies. I work in a non union facility and we got it pretty dang good. And if you’re not happy with your benefits and pay, you are free to look elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
        you gotta remember, these folks are getting paid pretty good. have pretty good benefits. gonna get a decent retirement. It'd be hard to just "move on".
        I've been on the scab side of that industry for 30+ years.....2 years from retirement I might weather the storm.....12 years out like I am.....C Ya jack!

Comment

Bayouboy is good as gold and is a friend of mine. I love ribbin him. Truth be told, as long as he's been in the union, he couldn't make it out in the real world! That's why he has to tow the line!

Comment

Last edited by dc1986; 08-05-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              I honestly don’t know how they work. But from the outside looking in it just seems like a bunch of cry babies. I work in a non union facility and we got it pretty dang good. And if you’re not happy with your benefits and pay, you are free to look elsewhere.
              That’s good for you. Plenty of great places that are non union. Mostly because they don’t want you to organize and go union. Therefore, they do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Bayouboy is good as gold and is a friend of mine. I love ribbin him. Truth be told, as long as he's been in the union, he couldn't make it out in the real world! That's why he has to tow the line!
                I worked that real world for too many years. I kinda like this one a little better.

Gotta say though. Contractors have it a lot better now than I did. You had some nice facilities at Marathon compared to old office trailers and tents.

Comment

I worked that real world for too many years. I kinda like this one a little better.

Gotta say though. Contractors have it a lot better now than I did. You had some nice facilities at Marathon compared to old office trailers and tents.
                  They learned to keep the best hands, you gotta pay more, better benefits and treat them like humans. I ate plenty of meals sitting under a tool trailer myself!

Comment

My BIL was part of that lockout and he cut bait and moved on.

Comment

So, the same conversation on the benefits the union fights for but what are those? Are they much different than a non union facility that are provided by the company as a full time employee, health care, 401, PTO. Not looking for a fight just wonder what the big difference really is. I have always worked non union plants but for one stint working in Louisiana most plants had a open shop and closed shop contract and the union guys would work both sides of the fence without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                        I believe there is an agreement with the union and the company on this issue during a strike or lockout. Either way, you should never cross a picket line of your co-workers under any circumstances, agreement or not IMO.
                        I feel the same way.

Comment

Will crossing the picket line make you a target for retribution by union folks later? Honest question, I'm not around unions.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            I've been on the scab side of that industry for 30+ years.....2 years from retirement I might weather the storm.....12 years out like I am.....C Ya jack!
                            I was for 22 years. It was real hard to find an equivalent job.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                              Will crossing the picket line make you a target for retribution by union folks later? Honest question, I'm not around unions.
                              I am not sure about now but when I was growing up, absolutely there would be retaliation. I am talking about union members committing felonies of assaults and property damage to people that were “scabs”.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                How do you think that came about?

Comment

Working...
                                X