Suggest a dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    Malinois will run circles around those German Shepherds. The ultimate canine athlete.
    Stalker alert.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
      Ok. I’m loving all these suggestions. One thing I didn’t mention. We have a 100lb bloodhound already. I need something that gets along with other dogs. I’m also not looking specifically for a guard dog... just something that will look after my boy. I know that sounds like a guard dog but I have a lot of folks come round and I don’t need a dog screwing with people once I tell him they are ok.

Had a lab. Awesome dogs. he was a rescue. Don’t know that I can deal with the insane puppy and my mom with Alzheimer’s at the same time. Lived to around 15

Had an Airedale. My wife bought him two months before we started dating. He was a timid thing scared of people with hats and didn’t listen. But he loved us and loved my boy when he was a baby. Lived to 14

Had a boxer... rescue from a dumpster... some a-hole threw this beautiful puppy away. I loved that dog. Mauled one of my other dogs and I had to put her down. She made it to maybe 5. Boy did she love my boy.

Had two pitt attempts. Both ended up with dogs that got put down due to light switch style aggressiveness one day around 7 months old. One bit my son in the leg through the comforter because he bumped her with his leg while we were watching bugs bunny. She didn’t enjoy what happened next.

Terriers- not interested they don’t listen. Had 3. Not what I need.

I’m interested in Anatolian Shepard’s but they are independent from what I have been told and don’t listen real well.

Rhodisian Ridgeback is interesting.

I’d get an Irish wolfhound in a second but they are so mellow I’m not sure they would protect him. Also intimidated by all the health issues b

Great Dane also sounds interesting. Need to do some research.

My wife said look into a Komondor. (I looked not going to happen)
      You seem to have had bad luck with dogs. Sheesh.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        Stalker alert.

Lol.

What? You wish I was stalking you, ya fruit.
        Last edited by oktx; 06-30-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
          The only thing better than one Blue Heeler is two Blue Heelers. I had two. They are not that big but they are fast & will fight like a pack of coyotes and they are protective. I have seen them change the mind of a Boxer, Doberman, Rottweiler, & Pitt. Poor dogs got chewed up & didn't know what hit them.
          Do not get the dog in my avatar. Kids uh heck no.

Two dogs are a brace of dogs. We have a brace of heelers and they are just darn special. The love is over the top and the protection is beyond reproach. Our girl runs the show. And our boy leans on the kids telling all - - this is my baby.
          Cattle dogs are just bloody smart.....................

Comment

Well. I’m about 40. Had about 4 dogs at a time. Lots of old rescues, etc. had 3 bad experiences and had to put them down. The rest have been great. Except they get old. That part really sucks. Ya sure get attached to them.

That being said I always defended pitts. Then I had two. I don’t defend them anymore.
            Last edited by Rubberdown; 06-30-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

IMO there are no better dogs for owners who are willing to put in the work than GSP’s and GSD’s. Personally, I won’t own a Shepherd until our oldest kid is 8-10. If you aren’t worried about protection from humans, GSP all the way.

I’d look for a 5-7 year old rescue, they will have mellowed out enough to hang around your boy rather than running way in front, and live long enough with minimal health problems to still stick around awhile.

I have 100% confidence that mine will never hurt my 1.5 year old no matter what he does to him, and he has plenty of grit to defend against animals. I’ve watched him kill raccoons and his favorite hobby at the beach is retrieving crabs whether they are locked onto his lip or not.

There’s nothing bigger than a coyote you really have to worry about in TX, and I’d put my $ on a GSP 1:1. If there’s a pack of them they are loyal enough to give their life protecting your family.

Comment

[ATTACH]1054305[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy1123 View Post
                  Anatolian shepherd
                  African Boerboel
                  Bullmastiff
                  Rottweiler - only from a top notch bloodline. Too many backyard breeders

I would steer clear of a Cane Corso the couple I have met wanted to bite your head off even after the owners tried introducing them properly.
                  Interesting - I was bitten by a Cane Corso that a relative had, only one I have ever been around. They ended up getting rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TA_Fab View Post
                    Anatolian Shepard
                    Cane Corso
                    Rottweiler
                    Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    X2 on the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I currently own two of them. They are both great family dogs but they really only bond to one person so if that is your son, the dog will follow him around like crazy, both inside and outside the house. Both of mine have very goofy personalities but are also very high energy dogs and extremely driven when it comes to retrieving. Also doubles as a great waterfowl/bird dog.
                    Last edited by breeds13; 07-01-2021, 07:28 AM.

Comment

What about a Giant Schnauzer.

Never had one, but have wanted one for a number of years. From everything I have heard sounds like they might fit your bill.

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
                        What about a Giant Schnauzer.

Never had one, but have wanted one for a number of years. From everything I have heard sounds like they might fit your bill.
                        I have always been intrigued by this breed, when I was in Germany I saw lots of them…. They seem very athletic but not really popular around here.

Comment

I sure would like to have a pair of Malinoise between my kid and the threat. But I wouldn’t knock on the 2 Heelers idea either.

Comment

Wise man Once Said

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
                            it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain

I say let the kid pick out a dog from the pound and roll with it.
                            I've had a vizsla that was protective, a lab that killed anything that moved, but growing up we had a German Shepard X Doberman that was Awesome! Hybrid vigor is Real!
                            I've always thought a lab X heeler would be a great dog.
                            Big Dogs leave Big Piles btw....

[QUOTE=tigerscowboy;15682162]
                            Who makes the best truck?
                            What is the best rifle caliber for everything?
                            Best method to cook a brisket?
                            Do I need to age my deer game on ice or keep it dry?
                            Paid off
                            308 Duh??
                            Cook until internal temp is 203.75, rest in ice chest wrapped in towel for 63 minutes
                            Both methods yield the same result. Dry has less germs. Quick cooling and processing is more important for good flavor.
                            What is the best broadhead for Deer?

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                              I have always been intrigued by this breed, when I was in Germany I saw lots of them…. They seem very athletic but not really popular around here.
                              I agree. I think they are a cool looking dog.

I know the little ones are bad *****3S for their size and I have heard the giant's are as well. I know the standards and mini's are very intelligent and loyal and have an attitude when they need one.

Comment

Belgium Mallinoix or Dutch shepherd I have two of each one belgium is my service dog

Comment

Working...
                                X