Suggest a dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
    *Update*I told my wife she was full of crap that dog isn’t a Saint Bernard poodle mix. She said of course it is. Sent off the dna test because for once I am going to be right.

Came back last night and He is a Great Pyrenees Australian Cattle dog mix.

Doesn’t matter. That dog is awesome. We sure lucked out with him.
    Pics!

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      Was going to suggest one of the Cur/ Plott/ Catahoula mutt pups I’ll be giving away in a few weeks, but saw you’re huge dog suggestions.

Good luck with your search.

My cur/pit mix from the shelter is hard to beat. Same with the boxer/pit mix we have. I bit their ears and played alpha just after we first got them, not sure if this is what worked or not, just read about it and did it. Now what I say goes. Where I go they go. Both lay in the room I am in and face the exits as a previous poster mentioned.

The cur put a rott down in our yard one night while sitting by the fire pit. I drug her off by the collar to keep her from killing it. She still didn't let go until lack of oxygen from not breathing got to her. Scariest thing I have ever seen 2 dogs do. I bet she would be a good pig dog, but her **** prey drive is so high for birds/rabbits/animals running, she might not ever come back.
      BUT with all that said, when she has the training collar on, she doesn't leave my side. Her side and my leg are touching or her nose is on my calves while trail running.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
        I guess you can tell who reads the responses.
        It's just a dog thread now. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          It's just a dog thread now. Lol.

Yep. I just wanna see pictures of the new pup

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
            rottweiler lab mix.
            Surprised with the lab mix craze going on right now, this hasn't been more popular. Been around two that were incredible family dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              My cur/pit mix from the shelter is hard to beat. Same with the boxer/pit mix we have. I bit their ears and played alpha just after we first got them, not sure if this is what worked or not, just read about it and did it. Now what I say goes. Where I go they go. Both lay in the room I am in and face the exits as a previous poster mentioned.

The cur put a rott down in our yard one night while sitting by the fire pit. I drug her off by the collar to keep her from killing it. She still didn't let go until lack of oxygen from not breathing got to her. Scariest thing I have ever seen 2 dogs do. I bet she would be a good pig dog, but her **** prey drive is so high for birds/rabbits/animals running, she might not ever come back.

BUT with all that said, when she has the training collar on, she doesn't leave my side. Her side and my leg are touching or her nose is on my calves while trail running.
              Guessing it wasn't a 160lb male Rottweiler from European working lines with high fight drive. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                Guessing it wasn't a 160lb male Rottweiler from European working lines with high fight drive. Lol.

Probably not. It was the neighbors pooch who decided to come over un the dark.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                  In regards to the Mals:

These require alot of time, and you need to know what you're doing with them.

Don't know from experience, but thought about getting one myself and our local Sheriff (who used to run K-9) told me this. He suggested against it, but to each his own.

I'll add, he also didn't leave out the fact that they are phenomenal animals.

*Just realized you run a kennel so... yeah. Cheers!
                  DO NOT GET A MAL....

I have two of them, one is under my feet right now. They require a LOT of your time.

Get a German Shepherd dog, way calmer.

Comment

Sounds like we need to try out a few hundred of these along the border. Then we can pick the best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sotol View Post
                      Sounds like we need to try out a few hundred of these along the border. Then we can pick the best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      We already know the two best. [emoji4][emoji6]

Comment

Chihuahua. Meanest ankle biter that ever lived.

Comment

Another vote for the ridgeback

Comment

Yep

I've been following this OP and just wanted to put my 2cents in on Dog Breeds. From our experience, my Avatar name reflects the breed....Again, our experience...If you have others dogs, pets, then stay away....If you are NOT willing to spend the time for training AND if you want a Male Akita and don't want to breed then Neuter to reduce their instinctual aggression!

Kuma, Japanese for Bear, and Kuma was a Bear. Loyal, Faithful, Smart and very NOT tolerant to ANY creature that ventured into his Domain/Home/Territory. For the 10 years he made our life great, he "killed" snakes, a couple of Bob Cats, Coyotes but mined my commands as I had to keep him isolated from guests and family members he did not know.

The "Eyes" say it all...just gaze into the Ultimate "Predator and Guard Dog." His Breed is still honored as royalty in the Japanese Culture. I have had Dobs, Sheperds, Rots and a few others, but the Akita is the ultimate Guard/Aggresive/Loyal I have ever had....Lord, I still miss him every day!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                              I've been following this OP and just wanted to put my 2cents in on Dog Breeds. From our experience, my Avatar name reflects the breed....Again, our experience...If you have others dogs, pets, then stay away....If you are NOT willing to spend the time for training AND if you want a Male Akita and don't want to breed then Neuter to reduce their instinctual aggression!

Kuma, Japanese for Bear, and Kuma was a Bear. Loyal, Faithful, Smart and very NOT tolerant to ANY creature that ventured into his Domain/Home/Territory. For the 10 years he made our life great, he "killed" snakes, a couple of Bob Cats, Coyotes but mined my commands as I had to keep him isolated from guests and family members he did not know.

The "Eyes" say it all...just gaze into the Ultimate "Predator and Guard Dog." His Breed is still honored as royalty in the Japanese Culture. I have had Dobs, Sheperds, Rots and a few others, but the Akita is the ultimate Guard/Aggresive/Loyal I have ever had....Lord, I still miss him every day!
                              DTala is more knowledgeable on these things than I am but part of a good protection or police/military k9 is the ability to differentiate between a threat and a good guy. My dog is fine around people that don't pose a threat. He knows the difference. He is also good with our other dogs and the cats. Let a strange one enter the property and all bets are off.

Akitas definately fit the request of the OP though in some ways.

Not being disrespectful but what lines was the GSD you "had"? American show or backyard lines are not true representation of a GSD.

Comment

Working...
                              X