• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
    It's Heeler not healer

Just had to get that off my chest
    Maybe it’s just that great of a dog! Had to get that off of my chest also

Comment

Mastiffs can’t deal with the heat! Awesome dogs but the heat will get them

Comment

Originally posted by huskerrod22 View Post
        Cane corso for 10 yrs and partial to pyrenees as well
        A friend has one and he is afraid of his own shadow. Still intimidating though.

Comment

A Great Dane. The downside is shorter lives than most dogs. The upside is off-the-charts loyalty to its master.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
            I’m glad I’m not the only one here with experience with this breed. They are amazing dogs and get a bad rap from the uninformed public based simply on their “look”. Some old man at the tire shop called mine a “man killer” and needed to be shot. As I said previously, Jaxx knows when to “turn it on”. Before my grandmother passed away, I would take him to the nursing home with me. We’d walk up and down the halls and they would all come out of their rooms to see him and pet on him. Worst thing he ever did was drool on them.

Beautiful dog! This breed now has my attention.

Comment

Anatolian Shepherd- ours is a gentle giant but protective of our granddaughter
              Last edited by Lost Arra; 06-30-2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Heeler

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                  Mutt from the pound.
                  When I was a kid, we had a half cur, half pit that certainly would have filled that bill. From crazy cows, to snakes, he had our backs. Our mother had to take us in the house to bust our butts, I personally was saved from a cottonmouth and my brother from a copperhead. No question in my mind that we would have been bitten if it hadn’t been for him. A half dozen times he got between us and cows with baby calves, and one time when I was playing cowboys and Injuns I sat down in a prickly pear, and the old guy that daddy had working on our place couldn’t pull the spines out of my 5 year old butt because that dog wouldn’t let him touch me. Now this guy, an older black man, had worked for daddy a long time, I can’t remember when he wasn’t there, and I sat on the back steps with him almost every day at noon and ate my lunch with him. But that old dog still wouldn’t let him touch me. That’s the kind of dog you need. I hope you find one !

Comment

Not the biggest but certainly the most loyal of any breed. It's a well known fact. Keep in mind it isn't just the breed but lines within the breed and particular dogs and drives. Some dogs have protection ability and others don't. The breed doesn't always matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FamousAmos View Post
                      A Great Dane. The downside is shorter lives than most dogs. The upside is off-the-charts loyalty to its master.
                      I do agree with you, but I hate the thought of praying for just a few years.

Comment

Ok. I’m loving all these suggestions. One thing I didn’t mention. We have a 100lb bloodhound already. I need something that gets along with other dogs. I’m also not looking specifically for a guard dog... just something that will look after my boy. I know that sounds like a guard dog but I have a lot of folks come round and I don’t need a dog screwing with people once I tell him they are ok.

Had a lab. Awesome dogs. he was a rescue. Don’t know that I can deal with the insane puppy and my mom with Alzheimer’s at the same time. Lived to around 15

Had an Airedale. My wife bought him two months before we started dating. He was a timid thing scared of people with hats and didn’t listen. But he loved us and loved my boy when he was a baby. Lived to 14

Had a boxer... rescue from a dumpster... some a-hole threw this beautiful puppy away. I loved that dog. Mauled one of my other dogs and I had to put her down. She made it to maybe 5. Boy did she love my boy.

Had two pitt attempts. Both ended up with dogs that got put down due to light switch style aggressiveness one day around 7 months old. One bit my son in the leg through the comforter because he bumped her with his leg while we were watching bugs bunny. She didn’t enjoy what happened next.

Terriers- not interested they don’t listen. Had 3. Not what I need.

I’m interested in Anatolian Shepard’s but they are independent from what I have been told and don’t listen real well.

Rhodisian Ridgeback is interesting.

I’d get an Irish wolfhound in a second but they are so mellow I’m not sure they would protect him. Also intimidated by all the health issues b

Great Dane also sounds interesting. Need to do some research.

My wife said look into a Komondor. (I looked not going to happen)
                        Last edited by Rubberdown; 06-30-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Catahoula Bulldog. That is a cross with a catahoula and American bulldog, not a cross with a pit bulldog. Typically 90-110#. These are also known as American Mastahoulas. Just saying......cC

Comment

Bullmastiff

Comment

The only thing better than one Blue Heeler is two Blue Heelers. I had two. They are not that big but they are fast & will fight like a pack of coyotes and they are protective. I have seen them change the mind of a Boxer, Doberman, Rottweiler, & Pitt. Poor dogs got chewed up & didn't know what hit them.
                              Last edited by Monark; 06-30-2021, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Malinois will run circles around those German Shepherds. The ultimate canine athlete.

Comment

Working...
                                X