Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Done with mechanical broadhead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    And a swacker is supposed designed to shoot through plywood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    At an angle too

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
      15' high, shooting 18 yards. Just behind crease of leg lower 1/3. Qrting away slightly. I'm figuring it hit ribs, but a sharp blade at that distance should blow through it. My stingers always have.
      If you put your arrow where you say you did, that pig wouldn't have gone far at all. Like others have said, sometime we just don't hit them exactly where we think we do. Only way to know 100% is video evidence or to look at the hole after you recovered the animal.

In my younger days, when I shot Muzzy's there were a couple of animals that I could have sworn I hit perfect and lodged the arrow in the off shoulder, just to climb down and find the smell of guts. Heard the story to many times from buddy's that "the shot should be good", long track and nothing. This was all when we were just kids. One thing I learned was shooting a big mechanical, like and NAP spitfire Maxx does give you an edge, if you happen to make a less then perfect shot. The more cutting diameter the better. I recovered a large boar hog one time after making a terrible shot hitting right above the hogs "male member". That big cut head cut the vein to his teeter, and he bled out in his bed not far away. We had ice that year at "H" and that got me my second hog and a golden ticket. Spilled the pigs guts and cut enough veins/arteries to kill him. Firmly believe I wouldn't have recovered that big ole hog with a fixed head.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
        15' high, shooting 18 yards. Just behind crease of leg lower 1/3. Qrting away slightly. I'm figuring it hit ribs, but a sharp blade at that distance should blow through it. My stingers always have.

Opposite leg/shoulder stopping your broadhead is a much higher percentage guess/scenario than it not deploying.

Comment

Shot a dinosaur a few weeks back with a muzzy 3 blade. Shot placement wasn’t great. Hit her a smidge forward and high of her front leg. I have video of her running off with practically the whole arrow sticking out of her. I didn’t bother tracking her. Figured I would get another shot at her sometime.

I’m used to pass-thru’s with my slick tricks. Not sure if I had dull blades or if she was just made of granite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
            I am betting that most folks tune their bows and rests before the shoot any heads. And i'll take that bet regarding my launcher. How much we talking?
            Yours may be clean, but you wouldn’t believe how many are out there that are crashing the launchers. My point is, people mistrust mechanical heads due to the moving parts, but trust a fall-away rest.

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
              Shot a dinosaur a few weeks back with a muzzy 3 blade. Shot placement wasn’t great. Hit her a smidge forward and high of her front leg. I have video of her running off with practically the whole arrow sticking out of her. I didn’t bother tracking her. Figured I would get another shot at her sometime.

I’m used to pass-thru’s with my slick tricks. Not sure if I had dull blades or if she was just made of granite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You shot a deer and “didn’t bother” tracking her???? Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                There are 3 other guys on my lease that bowhunt (or crossbow hunt) and they all use mechanicals. Their recovery rate is around 60%.

I have used a COC fixed blade for over 40 years and my recovery rate is 99%+.

Use what works for you until it doesn't.

Does that speak to broadhead reliability or the skill level other hunters or their resolve in recovery?

Comment

[ATTACH]1023373[/ATTACH]

one less variable to blame with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    Does that speak to broadhead reliability or the skill level other hunters or their resolve in recovery?

Likely both.

Some probably made the mistake of taking up the track too soon.

I helped track a couple of the deer they hit, and our resolve to find them was pretty high. When the blood ran out we followed tracks. When we lost the tracks we did an increasing radius search.

One buck shot with a rage from a crossbow stuck in a bucks spine or just below it with about 2" of penetration. It carried that bolt for almost a week before he got it out. Last pics I had of him it was healing up but never saw him again.

I just know that I've had great success with heavy cut on contact heads. I never saw the need to use anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      There are 3 other guys on my lease that bowhunt (or crossbow hunt) and they all use mechanicals. Their recovery rate is around 60%.

I have used a COC fixed blade for over 40 years and my recovery rate is 99%+.

Use what works for you until it doesn't.
                      99% +. You are my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                        That isn't an opinion founded on science. Equipment is an inanimate object. A broad head goes where it's aimed A broad head doesn't care if the person shooting it has had 100% success over hundreds of animals or if it's the first time the person who is using it has ever shot it.

I have killed hundreds and hundreds of animals with a bow since 1986. I have lost probably 10-12 that I have shot and hit. Most have been to poor shot placement but a couple I will swear to this day I hit them good. Confidence in the broad head has nothing to do with it....that's just an excuse.

If a guy shoots a deer with an Iron Will straight out of the package and doesn't find the deer, should he change broad heads because he isn't "confident" in them anymore....It's a razor sharp 4-blade A2 tool steel head. Over-priced but you can't buy anything better.
                        I never said or implied that it was based on science

It is a mental thing and the mental part is a factor that can wreak havoc on you.

If I bought a $30 broadhead, sent it through the kill zone and had no blood trail then yeah I would change heads.
                        If I jerk, clipped a limb or any other of the many variables that could cause a bad shot then I would not blame the head

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          I never said or implied that it was based on science

It is a mental thing and the mental part is a factor that can wreak havoc on you.

If I bought a $30 broadhead, sent it through the kill zone and had no blood trail then yeah I would change heads.
                          If I jerk, clipped a limb or any other of the many variables that could cause a bad shot then I would not blame the head

But why? You are a smart guy.

If you and I stand side by side and shoot at 2 hogs with the same broadhead, will mine kill better because of confidence? It’s a metal thing with sharp edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                            99% +. You are my hero.
                            I really can't believe it myself.

I'm very picky about what shot I take. If it doesn't feel right I don't take it.
                            I usually limit my shots to 25 yards but prefer closer. I sharpen my heads myself to be sure they are shaving sharp and give 100% effort in tracking any animal I hit.

I have missed my mark more than a few times, especially with the old slow compounds when they first came out. Even then, I've been lucky enough to recover (in edible condition) every animal but one in 41 years of hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              But why? You are a smart guy.

If you and I stand side by side and shoot at 2 hogs with the same broadhead, will mine kill better because of confidence? It’s a metal thing with sharp edges.

Probably not, if we both make good shots

Don't know how to explain it but the mental aspects kicks some folks a lot harder than others and eliminating doubts in equipment (confidence) can make a difference

You could have 10 people shooting the same head and 9 have great results/experiences and 1 had some crazy event (say a blade opened on a mechanical) and that 1 may struggle with taking a critical shot because that blade opening is in the back of their mind messing with their confidence

Has nothing to do with the broadhead but everything to do with the shooter's head

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                Probably not, if we both make good shots

Don't know how to explain it but the mental aspects kicks some folks a lot harder than others and eliminating doubts in equipment (confidence) can make a difference

You could have 10 people shooting the same head and 9 have great results/experiences and 1 had some crazy event (say a blade opened on a mechanical) and that 1 may struggle with taking a critical shot because that blade opening is in the back of their mind messing with their confidence

Has nothing to do with the broadhead but everything to do with the shooter's head

Referring to your last sentence........so does what is going on between a hunter’s ears change the broadhead?

Comment

Working...
                                X