Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Done with mechanical broadhead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    And a swacker is supposed designed to shoot through plywood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ha love those shows. Push one through a feed sack they don’t open until they have back contact.

OP I feel your pain, well not exactly... it’s a hog. I’ve put some reAlly cool looking heads through animals and thought well that didn’t work. I eventually land on a little crappy made rage hypo that has not let me down yet. And I shoot a speed bow with a light arrow, which will get a lot of grief on this site. This is a deer shot with a rage quartered to “oh no don’t do that” blew though his shoulder at 32 yards and exited out in front of hip.Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2020-10-14-23:04:52-585.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24633563

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
      I really can't believe it myself.

I'm very picky about what shot I take. If it doesn't feel right I don't take it.
      I usually limit my shots to 25 yards but prefer closer. I sharpen my heads myself to be sure they are shaving sharp and give 100% effort in tracking any animal I hit.

I have missed my mark more than a few times, especially with the old slow compounds when they first came out. Even then, I've been lucky enough to recover (in edible condition) every animal but one in 41 years of hunting.

Hmmm. So you’ve lost 1 animal in 41 years and you must shoot at least 2 animals a year with your bow to get to 99%. Not bad.

I shoot about 20 animals a year with mine and lose a couple a year..... mostly coyotes, on the list end,... tough suckers. And a Turk here and there.

99%.... come on man where the crap you get that number. I shoot fixed and expendables. Hard to beat that 100% increase in cutting diameter with better flight.?

Comment

Yep, switched to Ramcats 4 years ago after a few bad experiences. Through experience, I’ve learned that it’s **** hard to kill a deer with a bow. Attention to detail is key to a high success rate. Taking the broad head variable out of the equation was a big step for me, both physically and mentally.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlersBoy View Post
          Hmmm. So you’ve lost 1 animal in 41 years and you must shoot at least 2 animals a year with your bow to get to 99%. Not bad.

I shoot about 20 animals a year with mine and lose a couple a year..... mostly coyotes, on the list end,... tough suckers. And a Turk here and there.

99%.... come on man where the crap you get that number. I shoot fixed and expendables. Hard to beat that 100% increase in cutting diameter with better flight.?

I shoot a 4 blade with a 1 3/8 cutting diameter.

At 25 yards I may sacrifice an inch or two of accuracy due to planing, but on a lung shot it really doesn't matter.

I lost count of the animals I shot back in 1990 at 27 deer. I would usually kill 3-4 deer a year and do my best to fill all my tags before duck season started. I don't know the exact number, but throw in hogs and predators and a little over 100 would be a fairly accurate estimate.

Only animal I lost was after I had a few kills under my belt and got cocky, overconfident, and overanxious. I took a hard quartering to shot on a nice nontypical. The arrow hit bone around the shoulder, deflected, skimmed the rib cage, and exited the same side it entered. I gave him 4 hours, then jumped him up 300 yards away. Gave him more time and tracked another 400 yards before I lost the trail. I still kick myself for not waiting for the deer to present a better shot, but having blown through spines and both shoulders on other deer I was confident in the shot.

I have not taken a quartering to shot since.

Comment

try slick trick

Comment

Originally posted by redneckstudd20 View Post
              Dont know if it matters but i lost 2 deer from high in a tree shooting a rage but have great pass thru recoveries from ground level...i switched to exodus and im yet to shoot anything.
              The exodous heads are what I shoot and am happy with. 530 total weight arrow with these heads have zipped through both pigs and deer

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                Not sure how long you have bowhunted, but I can guarantee that there is no way you can 100% tell EXACTLY where that arrow hit. You have no idea where it hit or if the head deployed. No animal no BH, no way to say with 100% accuracy.

Like Smart said, always the broadhead's fault when an animal is lost! Yea Right!
                Sorry you lost the pig, that sometimes is the results of shooting with the stick and string.
                Agree 99%(room for arrow) One other thing some pigs bleed like a PIG...most the fat seals off and you get little or no blood trail.

and most mechanical cut on impact some ,even if they don't open and they run a little farther before they bleed out...even with heart lung perfect shot

Tracking skills loose lots of (Dead Game)!!!Gun and or Arrow..

I been in on recovery of several Deer shot with Field points but hit right ..they were dead meat too! Had to track farther before they bled out!

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  Referring to your last sentence........so does what is going on between a hunter’s ears change the broadhead?

Not one bit

But changing things up can help the shooter out mentally

Take target panic for example. Shooter is having a mental problem, locking up, punching trigger, can't hold a good group etc.
                  Change to a thumb release and often the change of equipment helps out with the target panic.
                  Was there anything wrong with the other release? Not one bit but changing it had a mental effect and git the shooter back on track

I am not debating that the broadhead was the physical cause of anything, like you said it is just a piece of metal with sharp edges

Comment

In the world of hunting.....by somebody or another...

Every broadhead has been the fault of a deer getting away.

Every broadhead has had a deer down in 50 yards or less.

Every broadhead has left a paintbrush blood trail Ray Charles could follow.

Every broadhead has left a poor blood trail or none at all.

Every broadhead flies like a fieldpoint.

Every broadhead has not tuned with fieldpoints.

Every broadhead has been cussed.

Every broadhead has been cheered.

To blame all that on a broadhead, an inanimate object, that only goes where you send it and performs in the environment it is placed, at the entry angle it is placed, and in the spot in the body that it is placed it is just .....well.....covering up the Indian-error.... To discard a broadhead after one of the negatives above happens once (especially lack of a blood trail)is weird to me. There are too many variables to blame it on an inanimate object. When you point your finger there is always three angled back at ya..
                    Last edited by Smart; 10-15-2020, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      In the world of hunting.....by somebody or another...

Every broadhead has been the fault of a deer getting away.

Every broadhead has had a deer down in 50 yards or less.

Every broadhead has left a paintbrush blood trail Ray Charles could follow.

Every broadhead has left a poor blood trail or none at all.

Every broadhead flies like a fieldpoint.

Every broadhead has not tuned with fieldpoints.

Every broadhead has been cussed.

Every broadhead has been cheered.

To blame all that on a broadhead, an inanimate object, that only goes where you send it and performs in the environment it is placed, at the entry angle it is placed, and in the spot in the body that it is placed it is just .....well.....covering up the Indian-error.... To discard a broadhead after one of the negatives above happens once (especially lack of a blood trail)is weird to me. There are too many variables to blame it on an inanimate object. When you point your finger there is always three angled back at ya..
                      Well said, the only broadhead I ever discarded after one booboo was a three blade rage. Don’t remember what I shot but two of the blades deployed About halfway and hung up on each other And didn't fully open. Went to two bald after that.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                        Been bow hunting for 40years, can't count all the pigs I've killed. I hunt year round. Shot several deer too. I know where I hit the pig. It's not rocket science lol. I realize I can't determine the exact spot compared to the 2nd one but it would be within inches.
                        Yes it may well be within inches or less, but you may have center punched two ribs with the mech. One in one out, and didn’t hit any or only one or just nicked a rib with the fixed causing the difference. How the animal reacts as the arrow hits him ( is going through him) will have a HUGE out come on penetration also or lack there of. I personally prefer fixed blade heads, but I have used and seen mech. heads help in the recovery of many animals that I don’t know if we would have found with a fixed. In other words, I would say we recover more animals, shorter blood trails, heavier blood trails when tracking animals that the guys use mech. then we do with guys shooting fixed. In fact the wide cut of the mech head has lead me to shoot the widest fixed heads I can find, and it has helped shorten my tracking jobs. But they are not as “ forgiving “ as a mech. A good perfectly placed shot with either gets the job done. In a lot of cases a slightly off shot is helped with the mech. ( as far as recovery). Occasionally a fixed will help, if bone is encountered, but I’ve seen fixed blades fail on bone many many times also. So nothing is a guarantee, use what you have confidence in and your set up shoots perfectly.

Comment

I was always leery of mechanicals myself. I prefer a solid fixed blade over most mechanical heads still. But last year I purchased a new bow and figured I would try some new heads. For me to switch completely was too hard to do so I met in the middle with a hybrid head. The Grim Reaper micro hybrid has 2 fixed blades and 2 mechanical that open on impact and all I can say is wow. Seeing how well made these heads are makes me want to try some of their fully mechanical heads with bigger blades.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              I really can't believe it myself.

I'm very picky about what shot I take. If it doesn't feel right I don't take it.
                              I usually limit my shots to 25 yards but prefer closer. I sharpen my heads myself to be sure they are shaving sharp and give 100% effort in tracking any animal I hit.

I have missed my mark more than a few times, especially with the old slow compounds when they first came out. Even then, I've been lucky enough to recover (in edible condition) every animal but one in 41 years of hunting.
                              You sir are my hero also, should be every body’s ! It would be an honor to hunt with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X