Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Done with mechanical broadhead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    once you lose confidence in part of your equipment it is time to move on.

I prefer CoC heads but still carry a mechanical in the quiver for hogs or critters. When all of the mechanicals have been shot up and dulled I might buy more.

My favorite mechanical was the Grim Reaper Hog Head. They sold them on their site for ~$20/3 and they threw them together with left over parts from other heads they sell.
    I have shot many different mechanicals with good results. My biggest deer to date I credit recovering with a mechanical. Shot was a little back but cutting diameter did a number on the back of lungs and liver.
    That isn't an opinion founded on science. Equipment is an inanimate object. A broad head goes where it's aimed A broad head doesn't care if the person shooting it has had 100% success over hundreds of animals or if it's the first time the person who is using it has ever shot it.

I have killed hundreds and hundreds of animals with a bow since 1986. I have lost probably 10-12 that I have shot and hit. Most have been to poor shot placement but a couple I will swear to this day I hit them good. Confidence in the broad head has nothing to do with it....that's just an excuse.

If a guy shoots a deer with an Iron Will straight out of the package and doesn't find the deer, should he change broad heads because he isn't "confident" in them anymore....It's a razor sharp 4-blade A2 tool steel head. Over-priced but you can't buy anything better.

Comment

I love these broad head arguments. The way some folks condemn or defend a broad head makes me laugh. I think you should shoot the broad head you have the confidence in that will make a clean, quick kill. I believe shot placement, perfect arrow flight and razor sharp broad heads are the key to lethal shots and it’s that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are 3 other guys on my lease that bowhunt (or crossbow hunt) and they all use mechanicals. Their recovery rate is around 60%.

I have used a COC fixed blade for over 40 years and my recovery rate is 99%+.

Use what works for you until it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
          There are 3 other guys on my lease that bowhunt (or crossbow hunt) and they all use mechanicals. Their recovery rate is around 60%.

I have used a COC fixed blade for over 40 years and my recovery rate is 99%+.

Use what works for you until it doesn't.
          ...and you can always rest assured that the head you are switching from and going to because you lost an animal is the same head some other guy just quit using because he lost an animal with it. He is now switching to what you quit using.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            If a mechanical didn't deploy it was either a bottom basement economy brand or the one that got shot into the foam target a dozen times then stuck in the quiver.
            Dull broadheads make for poor bloodtrails and lost animals.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
            Brand new Swhacker.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckstudd20 View Post
              Were you on the ground or in the air
              15' high, shooting 18 yards. Just behind crease of leg lower 1/3. Qrting away slightly. I'm figuring it hit ribs, but a sharp blade at that distance should blow through it. My stingers always have.

Comment

Everyone has or ends up with their own preference. I have used Mechanicals for 15-20 years. Rage. The first year I used a Rage Broadhead one of the Blades opened in flight. I am sure that I did not secure it properly. Sailed right under a buck at 20 yards with funky flight. I used another brand that same year and it did not open.....at all. I hit a doe in the shoulder. When I picked up the arrow the three blades were still closed. Seemed very tight. I ditched that brand immediately. I did not give up on Rage. Went back to them that same year and have shot them ever since. I don’t think I have had an animal run over 75 yards after being obliterated with a Rage Broadhead. I did wound a deer about six years ago, hitting it low....had it on video....it survived in to the next season. Other than that I just put the Rage to work behind the shoulder of animals. Never really had any other issues with mechs.

Comment

And a swacker is supposed designed to shoot through plywood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Dont know if it matters but i lost 2 deer from high in a tree shooting a rage but have great pass thru recoveries from ground level...i switched to exodus and im yet to shoot anything.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                      15' high, shooting 18 yards. Just behind crease of leg lower 1/3. Qrting away slightly. I'm figuring it hit ribs, but a sharp blade at that distance should blow through it. My stingers always have.
                      Sounds like you may have hit the opposite leg bone. Hog leg bones are pretty tough. Could be that one blade caught a rib and kicked the arrow too.

No exit hole means a poor blood trail, especially on a fat hog.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckstudd20 View Post
                        Dont know if it matters but i lost 2 deer from high in a tree shooting a rage but have great pass thru recoveries from ground level...i switched to exodus and im yet to shoot anything.
                        Rage broadheads normally lure deer in. Stop shooting the exodus.
                        I see guys using exodus on elk. May need to try them out on some hogs. They look like good broadheads.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                          Rage broadheads normally lure deer in. Stop shooting the exodus.
                          I see guys using exodus on elk. May need to try them out on some hogs. They look like good broadheads.
                          They are the best fixed blade with replaceable blades I’ve shot. Used them in Africa and on elk. Extremely tough and fly great at long range. Go with the swept blades.

Comment

The Trypans are nasty too. Good on you for killing another dang hog in Texas, regardless of recovery.

Both Trypans from last week.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201012_082044.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	24633525Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_182857.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	24633526

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              That isn't an opinion founded on science. Equipment is an inanimate object. A broad head goes where it's aimed A broad head doesn't care if the person shooting it has had 100% success over hundreds of animals or if it's the first time the person who is using it has ever shot it.

I have killed hundreds and hundreds of animals with a bow since 1986. I have lost probably 10-12 that I have shot and hit. Most have been to poor shot placement but a couple I will swear to this day I hit them good. Confidence in the broad head has nothing to do with it....that's just an excuse.

If a guy shoots a deer with an Iron Will straight out of the package and doesn't find the deer, should he change broad heads because he isn't "confident" in them anymore....It's a razor sharp 4-blade A2 tool steel head. Over-priced but you can't buy anything better.
                              I don't care if they are $100 a head, if I shoot a deer with it and it doesn't produce a blood trail I'm not impressed with it then it goes to the pig pile. I hunt off the ground mostly, so penetration has never really been something that gave me a problem. Full disclosure: I have no knowledge of the Iron Will broadheads and I'm sure they are great.
                              Last edited by breederbuck33; 10-14-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I've used the ole Swacker on a big red stag and a scimitar oryx. Both were pass throughs. 29.5 draw, 450gr arrow, and 72lbs draw. Maybe you got one built on a Tuesday. I also use grim reapers (white tail special) on just about everything and usually get pass thoughs as well (80lb bow 500gr set up now). With all that said I did shoot my 2000lb bison with a iron will broadhead and 700gr arrow.

Like others have said a well tuned bow is a must, and you have to do your part.

Comment

Working...
                                X