Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
    Shouldn’t the east Texas deer just come running to a feeder like they do in other parts of the state? I mean, you can hoop, hollar and drink beer while filling feeders and the next day there’s 150 inch deer strolling in. Is it the terrain? The food sources? At the end of the day they are the same species. Something is flipping the switch in east tx deer.

It’s the left over product from those labs in the woods lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shouldn’t the east Texas deer just come running to a feeder like they do in other parts of the state? I mean, you can hoop, hollar and drink beer while filling feeders and the next day there’s 150 inch deer strolling in. Is it the terrain? The food sources? At the end of the day they are the same species. Something is flipping the switch in east tx deer.
      West Texas- 700 acres... 7 hunters.... 7 feeders. Hunt 2-3 weekends a month

East Texas- 40 acres... father and son... and an uncle and brother in law every now and then... 2 feeders and some hand corn. Someone is hunting it 4-7 days a week during season

West Texas deer a born looking for a feeder. There is safety there as in reality most don’t get shot.

East Texas deer are born avoiding them, because they are dangerous And in reality most DO get shot when at one. We kill everyone that is dumb enough to come in that could start a chain reaction. WE cause the difference. It ain’t the deer, they are just a dumb glorified goat.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        It’s the left over product from those labs in the woods lol

We have a winner. They lay up all day and tweak all night!!

Comment

Have you tried a spot light?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I’ll add this

This is my biggest obstacle and the one that IF I overcome always leads to success or opportunity.

ACCESS....you can have the best 50 acre spot in the state, but if you can’t get into the stand without letting every deer on the property and 3 surrounding properties know your there, you are dead in the water. No magic feed or spray or nasa space machine will overcome that TO A MATURE BUCK.

Most can’t accept that not all places are huntable (especially with a bow). They find the sign! But have 1 place to park and walk the easiest way to and same way back from the stand... add camera checking and baiting to the traffic and seasons over before it started.

I’ve got 1 particularl 40ac place. Front 25 is hay, back 15 wooded. Lots of deer, but rarely would I see one hunting. Talked with a neighbor on the back side that had a yard the touched. He’s a non hunter but gave me access to park in his yard and hop the back fence. I stay in the fence row concealed and great wind for a S or SE. I’m never exposed or walking into a deer area. I never bump deer anymore and now see deer every sit. Also hold mature deer. ESPECIALLY late season where everyone else has blown deer out. I hold them all on small property because they never knew I was there

You speak the truth. I play it smart with my access WHEN I CAN. But I will roll the dice if my access is limited. I walk slow and use minimal light to stands and will be in the stand ready to go at 4am. I’m a firm believer in letting the woods settle down before sunrise. In fact, if I can’t be in the stand setup by 4 am often times I don’t go.

Comment

You speak the truth. I play it smart with my access WHEN I CAN. But I will roll the dice if my access is limited. I walk slow and use minimal light to stands and will be in the stand ready to go at 4am. I’m a firm believer in letting the woods settle down before sunrise. In fact, if I can’t be in the stand setup by 4 am often times I don’t go.
              I’m basically the opposite. Not that either is right or wrong, just my tactic. I’ll go in @ shooting light before to early. .... BUT I’m not hunting a feeder... ever, for a mature buck... ever. Lol

By sneaking in grey light I can:
              1. Eliminate poor thermals associated with first light
              2. Not bump deer in fields bedding or the doe typically close to where I’m hunting
              3. Not use a light at all. Every animal In the woods makes noise... but only one uses a flashlight

A poorly executed morning hunt (going just cause it’s season, or “all I got” in early season) is the cause for most to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                I’m basically the opposite. Not that either is right or wrong, just my tactic. I’ll go in @ shooting light before to early. .... BUT I’m not hunting a feeder... ever, for a mature buck... ever. Lol

By sneaking in grey light I can:
                1. Eliminate poor thermals associated with first light
                2. Not bump deer in fields bedding or the doe typically close to where I’m hunting
                3. Not use a light at all. Every animal In the woods makes noise... but only one uses a flashlight

A poorly executed morning hunt (going just cause it’s season, or “all I got” in early season) is the cause for most to give up.

I’ve often questioned which is best, super early or grey light entrance and thinking back I’ve had more luck when I got in quietly just as the sun was coming up or even accessed from 8-9am for mid day sits. Something to be said about not running into every bush and stepping on every twig in the dark

Comment

You make valid points. And honestly I have never paid attention to thermals,just watch the wind and be scent free as possible. I don’t buy scent a way or things of that nature but I have been known to rub clothing down with pine straw.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    I’ve often questioned which is best, super early or grey light entrance and thinking back I’ve had more luck when I got in quietly just as the sun was coming up or even accessed from 8-9am for mid day sits. Something to be said about not running into every bush and stepping on every twig in the dark

My reasoning of thinking is that the woods are full of armadillos and hogs rooting and whatnot. I feel as if deer a lot of times overlook sounds in the dark. I’m sure they get on edge but I think they settle pretty quick. With that said I very rarely bump a deer or have one blow on entrance. I like using a green light but keep in minimal. I’ve made my way around feeding deer with them just looking my direction but not spooking multiple times

Comment

My reasoning of thinking is that the woods are full of armadillos and hogs rooting and whatnot. I feel as if deer a lot of times overlook sounds in the dark. I’m sure they get on edge but I think they settle pretty quick. With that said I very rarely bump a deer or have one blow on entrance. I like using a green light but keep in minimal. I’ve made my way around feeding deer with them just looking my direction but not spooking multiple times

I’ve had both happen. I’ve had deer blow at me in the dark while wearing a small brim clip head lamp and I’m sure I’ve walked by twice as many that never spooked. I’m not arguing which way is better, just that it seems I’ve had better hunts on days I showed up late. Typically not by design lol

Comment

No arguments here, just healthy conversation. I’m sure looking forward to getting in a tree, regardless of time of day

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          More hunting pressure 24 hours a day 365 days a year in southeast TX.

I’ve been told pressured deer are easy to pattern though.
                          A big buck will never be easier to pattern than when he is locked down from pressure. Doesn't mean he is easily killed but he will be more consistent on his pattern than any other time. Get lucky and figure it out along with a way to get there without him knowing and he's a dead deer .

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            A big buck will never be easier to pattern than when he is locked down from pressure. Doesn't mean he is easily killed but he will be more consistent on his pattern than any other time. Get lucky and figure it out along with a way to get there without him knowing and he's a dead deer .

In your experience, would you say a mature buck will stay nearby areas he knows pressure is coming from so could monitor it from a safe distance? Or will he get as far away as possible from any known intrusion?

Comment

I grew up hunting in Cleveland, took about a 15 year break, and have recently got back into it. I have since moved to Lufkin and hunt primarily in Jasper where my lease is. This year I have 4 shooter bucks, all nocturnal, but one younger buck is making daylight appearances that is on the line of legality for the inside spread. He’ll get a pass from me for sure. Those nocturnal bucks are coming out almost every night and I have hopes for them maybe breaking daylight when the conditions are just right. I don’t have a feeder, hand throw everything and I planted a small plot this year. The deer aren’t letting my plot grow and are keeping it nubbed to the dirt. I took my first bow harvest last year and have that beautiful spike euro mounted on my wall lol. But, as well all know, a spike is a completely different animal from a mature buck. Good luck everybody this year, I know I’m excited for what’s to come. Last year, my local acorn drop was ridiculously generous so corn got ignored mostly, we’ll see what happens this year!

Comment

No arguments here, just healthy conversation. I’m sure looking forward to getting in a tree, regardless of time of day

Word

Comment

Working...
                                X