Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Fine by us.

That guy in the middle is awesome. Wonder how he’s gonna get the velvet off of all those dang knobs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      Not all. But, most real good east Tx hunters aren't going to enlighten you on their do’s and dont’s. You will pickup some good tips here and there. But, the best ones I know keep everything pretty much to themselves due to loose lips and people infringing on their hunting areas.
      You are correct in Your statements imo. And posting pics of mature deer and the ones killed on leases around here. People will eventually figure out the general area and I have seen folks get out bid per acre on these leases. I had this conversation with a young man around here that manages quite a large piece of land. We also discussed how hunters from the citieshave deeper pockets than some of the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
        You are correct in Your statements imo. And posting pics of mature deer and the ones killed on leases around here. People will eventually figure out the general area and I have seen folks get out bid per acre on these leases. I had this conversation with a young man around here that manages quite a large piece of land. We also discussed how hunters from the citieshave deeper pockets than some of the locals.

You are exactly right. I’ve seen this also. Especially with private land duck hunting properties. I don’t let it bother me as long as people are courteous. But the days of knocking on doors and getting permission to hunt are all but gone I’m afraid. But one thing is for certain, that the deer will still be in the woods somewhere, and a large percentage of folks will have a hard time killing them and get discouraged

Comment

Bottom line, East and SETx hunting can be just flat out tough as compared to other parts of the state. I think the main contributors are a lower overall population density, combined with a lot of hunting pressure. Feeders can be almost useless if the area has oak trees on a good acorn crop year. Closer to the Coast, the rut is very early...like September, early October early.

What does that amount to? More strategizing, time in the stand, hunting travel corridors as compared to feeders, more hand-corning, you name it. I'd call it a grind and it's definitely not for everyone. Expect to have multiple sits without even a deer sighting. Big deer can be killed. The hunting is just in contrast to say some areas in Central TX where seeing multiple deer at a feeder can be the norm.

Comment

In my area, we have lots of planted pines, or 100’s of acres of river bottom land with zero topography change. With that said, the flat river bottom land is just large parcels of a mixture of oak trees. No definite bedding really that I have found. I will guarantee, you could sit in a stand for weeks on end without a single deer sighting. Then one day it’s like flipping a switch there’s deer everywhere. Typical “big woods” setup that you hear hal blood talk about with east Texas deer will make you pull your hair out.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
              In my area, we have lots of planted pines, or 100’s of acres of river bottom land with zero topography change. With that said, the flat river bottom land is just large parcels of a mixture of oak trees. No definite bedding really that I have found. I will guarantee, you could sit in a stand for weeks on end without a single deer sighting. Then one day it’s like flipping a switch there’s deer everywhere. Typical “big woods” setup that you hear hal blood talk about with east Texas deer will make you pull your hair out.
              I've grown up hunting the PineyWoods right at the border of central and east texas and felt this way for most of my hunting life. I've now become more flexible (or lazy and sleep in sometimes) - and mix up the timing of my sits. I do believe you can sit the same time frames each day for an extended period of time pre and post rut and see nothing but if yu try to mix it up with some late morning sits / mid days and earlier afternoons, it might afford you some new sightings.

I've had success with scent drags and staying awake in the tree as well - good luck!

Comment

It never seems to fail, every year I can have a good buck coming to hand corn during the middle of the night. Then one day, he may show in daylight just out of the blue, and never show up in daylight again. It has never seemed to matter how close I get to bedding.I don’t understand how they can be so unpredictable. I’ve watched videos of people in west or south Texas hunting and it’s unbelievable. Mature bucks just come running in, no regards to feeder or anything. I don’t drive atvs around my stands and try to be as low pressure as possible. Sure I’ve killed a handful of mature bucks but it seems more luck of the draw than skill
                Invest in a good spotlight.

I’ve chased certain deer for years...only to end up with A doe or spike. Big East Tx bucks ain’t near as compliant as other Texas bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  Invest in a good spotlight.

I’ve chased certain deer for years...only to end up with A doe or spike. Big East Tx bucks ain’t near as compliant as other Texas bucks.
                  Agreed

Comment

The only thing harder than killing a big buck in NE TX is doing it in SE TX

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      The only thing harder than killing a big buck in NE TX is doing it in SE TX

I wonder how the two would compare

Comment

I wonder how the two would compare

More hunting pressure 24 hours a day 365 days a year in southeast TX.

I’ve been told pressured deer are easy to pattern though.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          More hunting pressure 24 hours a day 365 days a year in southeast TX.

So about the same I would guess. [emoji23] outlaws run thick around here

Comment

So about the same I would guess. [emoji23] outlaws run thick around here

Sad, but true. I hunt all over the State. I love the challenge of East TX. Taking a mature East Texas buck with a bow is a true trophy IMO

My other leases out west are just grocery shopping when the feeder goes off
                            Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-24-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I’ll add this

This is my biggest obstacle and the one that IF I overcome always leads to success or opportunity.

ACCESS....you can have the best 50 acre spot in the state, but if you can’t get into the stand without letting every deer on the property and 3 surrounding properties know your there, you are dead in the water. No magic feed or spray or nasa space machine will overcome that TO A MATURE BUCK.

Most can’t accept that not all places are huntable (especially with a bow). They find the sign! But have 1 place to park and walk the easiest way to and same way back from the stand... add camera checking and baiting to the traffic and seasons over before it started.

I’ve got 1 particularl 40ac place. Front 25 is hay, back 15 wooded. Lots of deer, but rarely would I see one hunting. Talked with a neighbor on the back side that had a yard the touched. He’s a non hunter but gave me access to park in his yard and hop the back fence. I stay in the fence row concealed and great wind for a S or SE. I’m never exposed or walking into a deer area. I never bump deer anymore and now see deer every sit. Also hold mature deer. ESPECIALLY late season where everyone else has blown deer out. I hold them all on small property because they never knew I was there

Comment

Shouldn’t the east Texas deer just come running to a feeder like they do in other parts of the state? I mean, you can hoop, hollar and drink beer while filling feeders and the next day there’s 150 inch deer strolling in. Is it the terrain? The food sources? At the end of the day they are the same species. Something is flipping the switch in east tx deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X