Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    It sounds like you have bucks that like visiting your place but don’t want to live there. I’d think about moving the hand corn to a safer spot with more cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point. Sanctuaries are key to seeing big east tx bucks in daylight.
    Last edited by GarGuy; 08-23-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I think my issue is, I don’t have access to enough private land to be able to effectively have a sanctuary. I also hunt public land that allows baiting. There’s lots of good thicket, but it is divided by fire breaks and brushogged roads. I feel less confident with it all being divided vs 1 large parcel.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
        I think my issue is, I don’t have access to enough private land to be able to effectively have a sanctuary. I also hunt public land that allows baiting. There’s lots of good thicket, but it is divided by fire breaks and brushogged roads. I feel less confident with it all being divided vs 1 large parcel.

Could be part of it. A lot of the photos we see on here of big ETX deer that are killed in early October/December come from guys that got lucky or knew what to look for when they got on a property. Just having a 2 yr old clear cut doesn’t mean you have enough cover. That’s temporary. Old bucks seem to want permanent homes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Remember, No big deer in E. TX.

Comment

I've usually found the big ones off of luck and a lot time in the woods. Hand corn or no corn at all, hunt close to the thickest stuff with good sign. Also, hunting close to houses has proved to be a gold mine the biggest deer I have killed & seen were in small blocks of woods within 100 to 200 yards of several houses. I think some of the big deer feel safe living close to people.

Take all this with a grain of salt because I have only killed 3 good bucks in 30 years of hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by BOWTIE DRYVA View Post
              I've usually found the big ones off of luck and a lot time in the woods. Hand corn or no corn at all, hunt close to the thickest stuff with good sign. Also, hunting close to houses has proved to be a gold mine the biggest deer I have killed & seen were in small blocks of woods within 100 to 200 yards of several houses. I think some of the big deer feel safe living close to people.

Take all this with a grain of salt because I have only killed 3 good bucks in 30 years of hunting.
              Lot to be said about the house thing. 10-15 deer can be seen bedded down and sleeping next to the house on our place in Houston County right now. All within 20-50 yards from the house under the big oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                It never seems to fail, every year I can have a good buck coming to hand corn during the middle of the night. Then one day, he may show in daylight just out of the blue, and never show up in daylight again. It has never seemed to matter how close I get to bedding.I don’t understand how they can be so unpredictable. I’ve watched videos of people in west or south Texas hunting and it’s unbelievable. Mature bucks just come running in, no regards to feeder or anything. I don’t drive atvs around my stands and try to be as low pressure as possible. Sure I’ve killed a handful of mature bucks but it seems more luck of the draw than skill
                I THINK it is called ......competition. More deer, more competition. Fewer deer, less competition.

Comment

We seem to have good deer numbers in cass county where I am. Although the buck to doe ratio is way out of wack if you ask me. The last mature buck I shot was on dec 24th and I counted 9 does cross an opening on the same trail, with him following right behind them. I don’t see a lot of chasing during the rut and I don’t believe that they really have to go far to find a doe. I’ve had my best luck at patterning bucks while using mock scrapes in early October. I passed a lot of deer last year coming to the scrape. Especially after a good rain

Comment

Good thread, I'm enjoying the read.
                    Last edited by MLank; 08-24-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

On the buck doe deal... My feeders will have 20 to 1 does over buck pics and those bucks are mostly 1 year old.

My hand corn pens will be 90 percent bucks and all ages. Same property.

Comment

I love hunting East Texas. That said, God willing, I will never just hunt East Texas. I’ll always hunt it because we have land here, but I’ll always have a spot elsewhere too.

I only have a limited number of deer seasons that the good Lord put me on this earth for, and I want to try to make the most of every one of them. I know a lot of big deer get killed in East Texas and I have killed some good ones myself, but for me personally, I would rather head to West Texas, or South Texas than hunt here in East Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          On the buck doe deal... My feeders will have 20 to 1 does over buck pics and those bucks are mostly 1 year old.

My hand corn pens will be 90 percent bucks and all ages. Same property.

I look forward to trying the things you have mentioned so far in the pressures deer are easy to pattern thread. The wife thinks I’m crazy going to feed deer at 11pm[emoji23]. I’ve been spending money on tent blinds,vanilla and corn and look forward to see what happens

Comment

Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                            100%

I don’t have any interest in deer hunting East of I-35 north of San Antonio.

Fine by us.

Last edited by Fishndude; 08-24-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

In for tips

Comment

That’s a hoss

Comment

Working...
                                X