No announcement yet.

Lumber Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got the news that our lumber yard won't sell us the lumber, they are only selling to their largest builders. Another lumber yard said they would if we purchased it all at once and they would have to delivery it all at once and they are $6,000 higher.

Comment

A well known DFW lumber supplier informed a more well known homebuilder in the DFW metroplex the other day that the lumber yard will no longer sell to the builder. Lumber yard is trying to protect their business with a larger builder. (Probably pretty short sighted, but whatever). Our company just instituted a substantial price increase on houses due to the increased cost of lumber.

It's going to get worse imo...

Comment

This is not what i want to hear!! I’m about to start a build myself. This could be enough to make me push it off. The only good thing is I’m building metal so the only would I’ll be using is for my frame out but that’s still going to be a bit in the budget!

Comment

I looked at getting some OSB today to deck a 10x8 room and was like *** gina?

Comment

It’s crazy out there. Paying $33 a sheet for 5/8 Cdx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
              We have been in the process of building a new house and the quote we had for our lumber had run out so we had it re-quoted yesterday and in the past few months it's gone up $11.000.00. This is kinda blowing my budget and the cushion we had built in.

I’m currently building a spec home to sell.
              I paid lumber in full last Monday. It’s was 16% higher than the original quote....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's about to go up again.

Comment

Local here was quoting 7/16 OSB wall sheating at 21.xx this weekend. I paid about $8.50 for the EXACT same product around early March. This is gonna hurt everyone really bad... from the little guys all the way up to the large homebuilders.

Comment

In the past six months I've watched the 7/16" OSB on the endcap across from our Pro Desk go from $7 to $21 a sheet; 15/32" CDX has gone from $15 to $29 in that same time. A large project that we quoted -- a hotel --- that was put on hold for two months and was given the go-ahead last week went up over $90,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      This. All the product that has and will be used for Laura will drive demand even higher. No new blinds for us this year.

Comment

You think thats bad? I have a job that the lumber is up $1.5 million.
                        I wont need lumber until February so we hope this craziness will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony1971 View Post
                          I buy or try to buy lumber everyday. Prices are setting records even week. Prices have nearly doubled on most items over the last 3 months. Treaters are having trouble getting chemicals and lumber. Mills have struggled with production due to covid. Throw little supply into high demand and it has crazy.
                          Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                          Lumber has sky rocketed. I'm building a house right now, so it's been quite a process.

When my builder estimated the build back in the first of the year, the cost of 3/8 OSB was 7.25 a sheet. It was 16.50 a sheet as of a week ago. Crazy.
                          I sell lumber every day. Yellow Pine/SPF/WRC lumber, and structural panels are higher than they've EVER been and print has been at high double-digit increases every Friday for the last several weeks. Many mills have gone off-market, not quoting cost and invoicing current market price @ time of shipment. Availability is very tight or non-existent on many products. That being said, we haven't slowed down one iota. We're sending it out as fast as it's coming in. I think the only saving grace for the industry right now is that mortgage interest is so low.

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                          30 days ago I bought decking for my roof, 400 sheets and I paid $10.72 per sheet out the door from a Lowes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          THAT, is a big house. 12K+ sft roof?

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Random Lengths will print much higher across the board today than it did last week....

Comment

This is an email I received yesterday from a very large local trader:

Good morning.

Order files pushed into October on many species and prices continued to surge. It really looks like the lumber markets will remain strong through at least October, if not the rest of the year.

#2 YP 2x4 +67 2x6 +68 2x8 +79 2x10 +68 2x12 +53

It was a slower week for yellow pine mills, but sales were still strong. With order files into mid-September on most items, traders took the slower pace in stride. It is going to take a few weeks to catch up with backlogs, and hopefully Hurricane Laura doesn’t disrupt too many days for the mills in Louisiana and Arkansas.

SPF: 2x4 #2 +75 2x6 #2 +75 2x4 #3 +60

SPF mills continued to push prices up and order files out. By the end of the week, mills had pushed into mid-October and were still selling everything they would show. European offerings remain limited, and there is not much open market offerings left for October. I believe the SPF market stays strong through at least October, and probably through the end of the year.

#2 KDDF Solid Studs: 2x4 92’s +75 2x4 104’s +80 2x4 116’s +105 2x6 92’s +75 2x6 104’s +90 2x6 116’s +85

Stud mills were off the market all week. With order files into October, customers were sent scrambling trying to cover their needs. Prices escalated rapidly, and inventories became scarce. I believe the stud market will follow the trends of SPF and have a good chance to push through the end of the year.

Finger Joint Studs: Random was +100

Finger Joint Stud mills were off the market all week. Customers sent out large inquiries only to have the door slammed on every quote. I believe finger joint studs will be a problem the rest of the year.

Long Length Green Doug Fir: 2x6 22’-28’ +60/+60/+65/+65 2x8 22’-28’ +50/+50/+50/+45 2x10 22’-28’ +35/+35/+40/+25 2x12 22’-28’ +50/+45/+40/+35

Long length mills were also off the market all week. Inventories are thin across all channels, and it looks like long lengths will be an issue for the rest of the year as well.

It was another strong week and sales were robust. I would expect the lumber markets to continue their run through September, and even if we find the top, I think it will take many weeks before prices show any weakness.

Comment

Lets say you build a house today with the high price of lumber(if you can get it) and you try and sell it 2 or 3 years from now after the lumber crisis is over and prices have come back down to normal. Are you gonna lose you shirt because you built at the wrong time.

Comment

I would say it will most likely out appreciate the difference but if would have built a few months ago you could have made more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X