No announcement yet.

Brisket - PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere that with many people out of work the demand for less expensive cuts has gone up. Could be why less brisket. Being ground up for hamburger as other have mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
      There is a strong food movement to know where your food comes from. Let folks be able to buy their meat from local growers processed by local butchers. Seems simple and makes sense doesn't it?
      What's "strong"? 5% of gen pop? I dont think there is alot to the "meat shortage" stuff going around but my inclination is if you are just now starting to care about how food becomes food your way behind in the game.

Hopefully people will be more aware going forward how dang hard it is to grow good good brisket and stuff that I like eat... I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

We bought 10 sheep and 2 steers when this thing got going mainly to get the experience with them while we'd be home during the day... but it just might work out in our favor before we're through.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
          Meh I'm good, most likely will kill another axis this weekend

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
          Careful, my buddy bragged like that and his freezer went out and stores were empty of them !

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            As soon as they start restricting, panic buying will commence and plants aren’t open to continue the supply chain. I read 22 meat packing plants are currently closed.

Wendy’s isn’t selling hamburgers in some locations for crying out loud
            HEB is already restricting. Only 5 fresh meat items combined. Buy 3 packages ground meat, one thing of pork chops and one package chicken breasts and you're done. Next time, I'll buy ground meat at the meat counter and package it together. That way I only have 1 package of ground meat and can buy 2 more items.

They also had only 1 brisket and it was 4.99/pound. Last week I paid 2.99/pound and had probably 10 to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
              Meh I'm good, most likely will kill another axis this weekend

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What ya growing in the bottom there? Potatoes?..

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                HEB is already restricting. Only 5 fresh meat items combined. Buy 3 packages ground meat, one thing of pork chops and one package chicken breasts and you're done. Next time, I'll buy ground meat at the meat counter and package it together. That way I only have 1 package of ground meat and can buy 2 more items.

They also had only 1 brisket and it was 4.99/pound. Last week I paid 2.99/pound and had probably 10 to choose from.
                I went to Wal-Mart and their meat section was looking really low.. mainly chicken and beef. Seemed to have plenty of chicken legs and a few briskets though.

No Smart I didn't panic buy. I didn't buy any meat actually

Comment

Originally posted by Dugie View Post
                  Meat is not about to be scarce unless there is panic buying much like toilet paper.

Yes it is tight as food service comes back into the supply chain and while plants are cleaning, but that is a very short term issue.

If the HEB guy said it will be months....he's an idiot.

Please do not contribute to the panic, news media is enough.
                  This is almost word-for-word what the butcher at HEB told me when I mentioned the rumor. "you know how the news is... People are already coming in a buying up all the ground meat. The same people with a year's worth of TP in their living room."

He could be totally wrong too but said plants will be operating at 50% capacity. Only issue would be caused by panic buying. Hence, the purchasing restrictions. All the bins were full of brisket and they had plenty left in the back. I bought one for $3.49/lb

Comment

Sounds like the Today show up in here. Glad to hear the stores are already putting limits for the hoarders. You would think everyone that ran out and bought freezers and TP would have already filled up.
                    I would be curious to hear how much sales are up in grocery stores if anyone knows.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      This is almost word-for-word what the butcher at HEB told me when I mentioned the rumor. "you know how the news is... People are already coming in a buying up all the ground meat. The same people with a year's worth of TP in their living room."

He could be totally wrong too but said plants will be operating at 50% capacity. Only issue would be caused by panic buying. Hence, the purchasing restrictions. All the bins were full of brisket and they had plenty left in the back. I bought one for $3.49/lb
                      This has to be 100% false.

If the plants are only running at 50% and that provides enough meat for everyone..Then why where they running double that before?

If plants are really running at 50% the meat will run out..period. I think this may be over hyped BS again. But I have no idea how many plants are running... am not a butcher..or a commodity trader

Comment

I’m raising my own and the local packing plants are booking kill dates as much as 6 months out. I’ve got a steer that is ready but can’t get in til July 14.

Comment

This is really nothing new to the San Antonio area
                          Week #1 was in sam’s club and panic buying was starting, people where emptying out the sam’s meat department, and TP , bottle water. Total pandemonium, finally the fire marshal showed and cleared the entire store and made every one leave and get in a line
                          Week 3 wife ordered some meat from H-E-B and every cut was a substitute Different from the order
                          So this Was totally expected , when cactus Texas has the highest covid19 rate per capita
                          In the state meat processing industry is hurting

Comment

the packing plants closed temporarily for deep cleaning. This morning on Rural Radio 3-4 more opened back up. Media causing another panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              I bought 2200 lbs leg quarters 2 weeks ago delivered for .59
                              I’m having 2200 lbs delivered Saturday, @ .64
                              2200 lbs? Now that’s a BBQ

Comment

Crabs love that chicken!

Comment

Working...
                                X