No announcement yet.

Can't do this on a pellet grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not? Did you buy the wrong brand? I can sear the crap out of steaks on mine...have to be careful not to burn them just like a wood fire or on charcoal.

Comment

^nope sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
        ^nope sorry.
        Oh ok genius

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
          ^nope sorry.

I can hit 500 on my green mountain grill, which is hotter than the smoke point of olive oil....

That’s definitely hot enough for searing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On my pits and spits you can remove the trap door on the deflector plate and get open flames and 600° temps...
            most pellet grill will

Comment

^^ Yep..one of the main reasons I got the Pit Boss..other than the obvious $$. Nice being able to just slide the cover over to sear and grill even if you've already been smoking/cooking something else. Slide 'er back shut when your done and keep on smokin'.

As long as them steaks come out looking like the OP's, It don't make a hill 'o beans what it's cooked on! Yum time! Even it's a homeless portable grill..(shopping cart parked over a fire)
              Last edited by Smokeater; 02-02-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                On my pits and spits you can remove the trap door on the deflector plate and get open flames and 600° temps...
                most pellet grill will

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You mean a flame like this in a pellet grill ?

Comment

Pellet grill guys are trying hard lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

^lmao check out baby flame. I can’t

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
                        Pretty steak, but why would anyone use a pellet grill for a steak? I’m looking at z grills for my next smoker. I had to buy an old masterbuilt electric smoker back when we lived in an apartment (apartment didn’t allow open flames).
                        I've got all the different smokers and grills. Green egg, commercial gas grill, open fire pit, and a Pit Boss pro.

By far the best way i've found to cook a steak hands down is on my pit boss pellet grill. Reverse sear. I will say, some pellet smokers are not ideal for steaks because you can't sear well, but my pit boss has a sear plate that can be opened that allows direct flame contact. It will throw out a serious flame. Makes some of the best tasting steaks.

And this is coming from a guy who would only use an open fire pit with pecan or mesquite wood for years.
                        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 02-03-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I don't think anyone said you can't cook a steak on a pellet grill.

But you're not gonna get the same results and taste that the OP is referring too. I just bought a cabinet smoker, it does OK.....but its 100% not as good as a stick burner. It's biggest draw for me is putting about 6 mesquite briquettes in it and I don't have to check it until it's time to eat.....that, and the Mrs.s can run it!

Comment

Yeah, the Pit Boss has a plate you slide over to sear. It won't get as hot as a charcoal grill but I have had mine up to 500 degrees which is hot enough. The only down side is that it doesn't have a whole lot of area that you can sear. It's maybe a 2-3 steak sized area. I did as one of the guys above mentioned and reverse seared some ribeyes on my pit boss recently and they were excellent. Much better than I expected. I didn't buy the pellet grill for steaks, though.

Just for speed and quality of the finished product I usually just load up my weber kettle with lump charcoal for grilling steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              I don't think anyone said you can't cook a steak on a pellet grill.

But you're not gonna get the same results and taste that the OP is referring too. I just bought a cabinet smoker, it does OK.....but its 100% not as good as a stick burner. It's biggest draw for me is putting about 6 mesquite briquettes in it and I don't have to check it until it's time to eat.....that, and the Mrs.s can run it!
                              The name of the thread...Can't do this... I kid I kid!!

Pellet burners are all about convenience and not ruining good meat for me. I don't have the time (and maybe patience) to do ol school. Be fun to learn and get good at it tho. Maybe when I retire I'll get a good stick rig.

Comment

Can't overcook a steak on a pellet grill?

Dang, good to know! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X