No announcement yet.

Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone just pulls only $5 every 15 minutes begging 3 hrs in the AM and 3 hrs in the PM during rush hour 5 days a week that's over $30K a year in tax free cash income..

If you feel like contributing to that so they can live a care free irresponsible life and pawn the consequences of their actions even further on your wallet down the road then the democratic party is for you.

I work three jobs, there's always water in my cooler and food to get me to the next job. No one shall go hungry or thirsty but you won't get penny in "charity"

Comment

you can usually tell who needs help and who is just too lazy to work. I have gave money and I have refused. the ones who have the made up story about their church bus blah blah blah really **** me off.

Had a guy go thru his whole story, it was a rehearsed. never stuttered, never said uhhh, or ummm. It was perfect. I told him, "ok, heres $20. But if youre lying to me, God is gonna punish you." he didn't take the money.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
        If someone just pulls only $5 every 15 minutes begging 3 hrs in the AM and 3 hrs in the PM during rush hour 5 days a week that's over $30K a year in tax free cash income..

If you feel like contributing to that so they can live a care free irresponsible life and pawn the consequences of their actions even further on your wallet down the road then the democratic party is for you.

I work three jobs, there's always water in my cooler and food to get me to the next job. No one shall go hungry or thirsty but you won't get penny in "charity"
        Oh boy, don’t fall off that high horse there pal. Sure hope you never find yourself upon hard times needing a hand up. You can count the number of Dems Here on one hand.
        Charitable giving is not a determining factor in ones party affiliation.

Comment

Some of you fellas should spend more time in the Word. We are called to be generous with what God HAS ALLOWED us to be stewards of. We are called NOT to pass judgement, lest ye too shall be judged - and by the same criteria. Good luck out there, to all you fellas that think something could never happen to you with the result being homelessness. I’m not naive, but’s it’s not my job to sort out the good and the bad, it’s Gods. It’s also not my money, it’s His. The end.

Comment

I give a lot of Reese crackers away every year.

Comment

I have, but rarely. I learned my lessons young. Step dad was a preacher so I grew up seeing people down on their luck. We took in several in over the years, all women with kids fleeing abuse or abandoned by their husbands.

Also saw the people come to the church for food and housing. Even at a young age you could tell many were abusing the charity. But there were also those truly trying and struggling to get on their feet. Again, the majority were mothers and kids. For this situation I have a soft spot.

But I also saw most take the abusive or drunk husband/boyfriend back. Then dissappear for a while till he hit her again, or spent all the money on booze again. Or in one case, killed someone while dwi and went to jail. Over and over again.

I guess I have been hardenened. My experience shows very few are a victim of circumstance and will truly benefit from help. Very few will pull out of it and become sucessful and productive. My experience shows drugs and alcohol are almost always the universal primary factor.

As a side note: as a kid my mom help start TEAM ( Tomball Emergency Assistance Ministries ), Im thinking mid 80's ( I was about 10 or so ). I remember watching people come in and get all the good brand name food. Froot Loops, Pace Salsa and Campbell soup. I was so jealous. We only bought off brand stuff. We were broke. As broke as many of those coming to get free food. But there she worked. For them. Volunteer. Years later she told me we had literally eaten beans and rice for a full month. ( I dont remember that specifically ) One day the lady running TEAM told her, "you know, if yall need food, its for anyone who needs it including the volunteers". She teared up as she told me this.

So, suffice it to say, Im torn.

Comment

Another side note: as a kid so many kids complained about the school food. Bland pizza, nasty burritos. I didnt know what they were talking about. THAT STUFF WAS GOOD! I looked forward to school lunch!

Comment

The people needing gas are the best. Same story everytime, and they don't remember you when they come back around the 2nd time, or the 3rd, and repeat the same story.
                  Dallas circa 1998-99, at a gas station at Forrest/635.
                  My friend is pumping gas, I'm not really paying attention, 1 of the homeless walks up and recites the same story to my friend.
                  Come to find out, Ed had just given him some money a few days before, but I had no clue.
                  Out of nowhere all I hear is cussing and screaming.
                  Without missing a beat, my boy snatched the gas handle out of his truck, and starting hosing the homeless guy down.
                  Thought we were going to jail for sure on that one.

Comment

Back in '90 - '91, a guy was walking down the street near our house. He was carrying a "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" sign and walking towards the next big intersection. I stopped and asked him if he really would work for food and he answered yes. I pointed towards my house and said I needed some yard work done and I would meet him there. He walked up and asked what needed to be done. He trimmed the bushes, raked the leaves and mowed. My wife brought him a turkey sammich, some chips and a Dr. Pepper when he started. When he finished, she brought him a plate of our dinner. He said he was trying to get down to Houston to family and hopefully a job. I gave him $40 to help him on his journey. He shook my hand and thanked us and started walking. His name was Barry and I have always wondered if everything turned out good for the guy.

Comment

Nope ..I just tell them i only have CCs no cash....Salvation Army is my donation spot

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                        Nope ..I just tell them i only have CCs no cash....Salvation Army is my donation spot
                        I had a friend tell me one responded that he had a venmo account. No joke!

Salvation army is a great option.

Comment

I'll buy them food if they're hungry, but no cash.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                            I did have a lady ask me for gas one time at a station. She said her boyfriend beat her and she was trying to get away from him. She had bruises on her arms and a car full of clothes. She was asking if I could put $5 of gas in her car and that would get her to a relatives house. For some reason I truly felt for this woman. When I put my card in the pump and pumped her small car full of gas and she noticed she started crying and thanking me. I dont mean just whimpering crying, I mean their where people 3 pumps over looking over. I told her she was welcome and she hugged me and thanked me again before we parted.
                            That's what its all about. She was in need. You helped. Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                              I give as God guides me. If that means the man at the corner, so be it.

Far more often I’ll feed them, but have handed out plenty of God’s money.
                              Same here. None of it's mine anyways and I'm not taking a dime with me when I die.

Comment

I have often helped people but rarely folks that ask. I usually get them to do a little work so it doesn't seem like charity to them. Most folks that really need help are way too proud to beg.

Comment

Working...
                                X