Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    I have and will continue but not if I suspect they are simply panhandling. I have never been destitute, and many can find themselves homeless through job losses, mental issues, and other situations beyond their control. Others choose the lifestyle.

A number of years ago, there was an article in the Rice alumni magazine about a female graduate who disappeared from her family for several or more years. By a miraculous stroke of luck she was found in San Francisco on the streets. She had developed a mental issue, and someone in San Francisco reaches out to her and quizzed her about her past. They were able to locate her family in Texas and she was reunited and got help.

One never knows.

Well Said
    I feel the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Having the whole family out there is another way of tugging at the heart strings. Most of them are not homeless, just freeloaders. I offer to buy some of them a meal but 99% say just give me the money. Deadbeats get nothing from me.

Comment

A buddy of mine would buy their signs from them. He hung them on the wall in his shop it was amusing to read all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
          Sorry...you got got. I used to see the same guys/girls over and over at Forest/75 sitting in the Taco Bueno parking lot scarfing down some tacos. I got to where I would roll down the window and recite their last story to them. They don't think that is funny, btw.

Anyone who thinks they are buying a Whataburger with your $5 your guilt makes you give, think again. They are buying the cheapest wine, most potent malt liquor or illegal drugs. Its sad but I refuse to help.

I will give to charities like The Austin Street Shelter in Dallas that does what they can to help people.

I know what you're talking about, but dont think the guy you quoted was "had", unless taco bueno is trading gas tanks for tacos..he pumped the gas directly.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
            They’re Gypsies. Probably Romanian. Don’t give them a dime.
            Originally posted by boh347 View Post
            Yeah I can see that now that you mentioned it. They all looked Romanian.
            Yall mean Romani (or Roma/Romany)? Romani =/= Romanian.

Comment

I think giving to those in need is a beautiful thing, but those who brag about giving set me off. " don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing "

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                Lived in Austin for 32 years of my life and saw a lot of beggars. I have seen many walking from a street corner and get into a car hidden behind a building, and the car was nicer than the vehicle I drive. some truly are homeless but many are not. Personally i will NEVER give them a penny. McDonalds is always hiring and so are many other stores. if you want a job bad enough you can find one!!!
                I have also seen this several times . No , I don`t give to them . Not saying I never would but I would really have to feel they really needed and wanted help . I just don`t feel that with the local beggers that are on every corner near my house . The same ones for over a year at a time usually . I will not help support their drug and alcohol problems .

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  I think giving to those in need is a beautiful thing, but those who brag about giving set me off. " don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing "
                  Bingo. Jesus himself said it! - “ Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you [a]openly.
                  Matt 6:1

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    I used to feel this way towards all the "acts of kindness" that were done and videoed then put on social media.

I've eased up on the stance. Even if your heart isn't in the right place for doing something at least you're still doing something good.

Comment

I have before but not often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have given and still do at times. Other times not so much. There is a particular couple that asks for money from time to time here in Del Rio. Not sure if they are locals or just passing through. This couple has two dogs with them. Both the humans and the dogs appear more than healthy and a bit over weight. From just looking at them, it's hard to believe they have ever missed a meal. Not sure what there story is but I don't give them a dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                          Challenge accepted! Let’s hear it purdy please
                          I lived in Albuquerque for some time and had my sister and BIL come to visit. My wife and I took them to old town Albuquerque, I decided not to go in one store and walked across the street and sat at this picnic table. My back is to most of the table nobody within 50 feet of this table, about 5 seconds of sitting down I felt the lord speak to me and said give $5 to the guy sitting behind you (I'm thinking what? I just sat down to a empty table) I turned around and I swear my heart skipped 2 beats. Homeless looking guy sitting there, reached into my wallet and gave him $5. Sometimes I wonder if he was an angel sent to test me I don't know. To this day I still think about that day.

Comment

You never know

I was in encino tx at a gas station, when I guy came and gave me his sell about
                            Needing to get some gas to get home, and would give me his grandpas knife but hated having to lose it
                            It was a really cheap knife we traded the gas for the knife ( gas was worth more)
                            And I handed him my business card and said if he sent me some money and address I would return it, about a month later I got a letter thanking me and some cash in the mail, about 1/2 what I gave him, and sent him the knife, kudos for effort on his part never felt like he cheated me . So you never know

I find lots of illegal immigrants 1/2 dead walking in the summer ( they always want a ride to Houston or San Antonio) I always give them a ride to the ranch house and some water , cigarette if they want and tell them how far those cities are and ask if they need boarder patrol to come get them ( most just sit in the shade and wait for BP )
                            I usually don’t even make eye contact with beggars in town and most are leery about the dogs
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-25-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                              I have, but rarely. I learned my lessons young. Step dad was a preacher so I grew up seeing people down on their luck. We took in several in over the years, all women with kids fleeing abuse or abandoned by their husbands.

Also saw the people come to the church for food and housing. Even at a young age you could tell many were abusing the charity. But there were also those truly trying and struggling to get on their feet. Again, the majority were mothers and kids. For this situation I have a soft spot.

But I also saw most take the abusive or drunk husband/boyfriend back. Then dissappear for a while till he hit her again, or spent all the money on booze again. Or in one case, killed someone while dwi and went to jail. Over and over again.

I guess I have been hardenened. My experience shows very few are a victim of circumstance and will truly benefit from help. Very few will pull out of it and become sucessful and productive. My experience shows drugs and alcohol are almost always the universal primary factor.

As a side note: as a kid my mom help start TEAM ( Tomball Emergency Assistance Ministries ), Im thinking mid 80's ( I was about 10 or so ). I remember watching people come in and get all the good brand name food. Froot Loops, Pace Salsa and Campbell soup. I was so jealous. We only bought off brand stuff. We were broke. As broke as many of those coming to get free food. But there she worked. For them. Volunteer. Years later she told me we had literally eaten beans and rice for a full month. ( I dont remember that specifically ) One day the lady running TEAM told her, "you know, if yall need food, its for anyone who needs it including the volunteers". She teared up as she told me this.

So, suffice it to say, Im torn.
                              Not sure if your mom is still with us or not but the treasure she has stored in heaven [are or will be] worth her sacrifice if they were made and given with a joyful heart (and it sounds like they were). Rejoice in that because it is by far abundantly greater than any worldly thing she might have gained by not having made those sacrifices.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I give when and how I am led by the spirit. If it's money, food, gas, or just help. Doesn't matter. It isn't mine anyway. I'm just a steward. And I give with a joyful heart and usually say a prayer over it that God's will be done......And It will

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X