No announcement yet.

Taking a break...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do it with a bottle of whiskey, take my time and enjoy it.

Comment

I have gotton a little less picky over the years and to be honest I can't tell the different.

Comment

I just did two. I do mine in my kitchen so the counter top is the right height. I get as much of the junk off as I can, although I admit I am not as thorough on stuff that is going to be ground with beef, pork or bacon. I have two Havalons with new blades and a sharp fillet knife. I usually have a football game on and a cold beer. Christmas Tree is in the way right now. A lady that works at my bank recommended Kliens Deer Processing in Pflugerville. She said they take all of their deer they get to them. I will be going after Christmas and I am going to shoot a doe and take it to them. Going to have it made into various types of sausage. 35.00 plus the cost per pound for what you order.

Comment

I bought a white fish cleaning table at Academy for ~$50. Something like this, no faucet or sink. https://smile.amazon.com/Lifetime-44...134520&sr=8-14 Best money I've spent in a while. It's taller than normal and I not only clean fish on it, but take it hunting. As I am removing backstraps, shoulders, etc, I lay them on the table. Then I can clean,wash and do a little trimming before putting the meat on ice. At home, I put the table up so it drains into the yard and do all my meticulous trimming there.

Like you, I work hard to get all the junk off that I don't want to eat or that attaches to my grinder blades and makes my meat mushy.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            Hopkins county locker plant in Sulphur Springs. They have probably processed 40 deer for me and I’ve never had a complaint. And ground deer is 99% of what I eat. Won’t say it’s as perfect as if inspecting every sq cm but they are the best if used and more than fair on price. They do 100% of our beef we sale on the rail. And we trust them enough that we offer 100% guaranteed satisfaction

Kurt and Connie are good people that do quality work and only have quality experienced employees.

All meat vacuum sealed except ground it’s in hamburger packages of your choice in weight. Will tenderize any cuts you want, Slice jerky, several varieties of sausages

Their jap and cheese sausage is the best I’ve had and that’s comparing to all the big names that you hear about in the Dfw and surroundings area
            THIS^. It's worth your drive.

Comment

My Granfather was a processor and would take in upwards of 1500 deer a year. When I was a teen before he retired, I'd help him when I could. Have processed thousands in my lifetime so the three or four I do every season now doesn't seem like a big deal. Few things I learned all those years that helped me a lot:
              1. Invest in quality cutlery and a good sharpening system. A sharp knife makes things a heck of a lot easier.
              2. Cutting surface needs to be right at belt level. Any higher or lower and your gonna look like the Hunchback Of Notre Dame at the end of the day.
              3. Gloves! Handling ice cold meat will make your hands ache something fierce. I use thin 2mm neoprene gloves. Hands are insulated but you still have a good grip.
              4. Take your time. When you get in a hurry accidents happen, you forget seasonings ect.

Turn on some music, pour a drink, and enjoy it. It shouldn't feel like work if you're doing it for yourself. You're saving money and producing a quality product for your family to enjoy.

Comment

I can be done, happy and have a couple whiskeys before my woman is through proofing and reworking to her satisfaction. little sit, a little whiskey and my back is ready to run the grinder, works for me.

Comment

Right there with you! I dry age the quarters, so if my back gets to hurting I’ll just finish the rest another day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to butcher all my own too. I know that back ache. Anymore, I just take them to the processor and let somebody else's back hurt. Saves me chiropractor bills, vacuum sealer bag bills, and I end up with a lot more hamburger and/or sausage than I ever got on my own.

Well, I take all the axis to the processor. I give all the whitetail away. Saves my back and my checkbook, and it puts meat in other folks' freezers.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      My processor will “steak & grind” for around $60 and is fantastic on all accounts of packaging and quality

I wouldn’t clean my &$&% kitchen up for $60 after that mess. Lol
                      X2....

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        Wow for moment I thought you were signing off here. Now that I see what you are talking about. I have my wife do all mine. When she says I'm done I go back and inspect it . And if it is not up to par I make her redo it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                        This just in......snowflake Killa is getting D-vorced!

Comment

Burnadell, I'm just like you...I've been to too many processors only to see people bringing deer that looked like they had been hanging in the 80degree texas sun for days. About 15 years ago my dad and I bought a 3/4hp grinder and then the next year we got a stuffer and mixer. I have a love hate relationship for processing deer. I hate how bad my back aches during and after the processing, but I love knowing the kind of meat I'm getting. I've made bratwurst, german sausage, burgers with bacon ends and pieces, pan sausage etc..this year I made jalapeno/cheese sausage and jalapeno/cheese summer sausage and it was definitely worth it. The Mesquite Country Sausage Recipe thread in the Recipe section is legit!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                            This just in......snowflake Killa is getting D-vorced!
                            She doesn't see this. If she does I will tell her someone hacked my account.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I spend a lot of time cutting up deer meat making sure it is all clean like you. I had to do it for the first time by myself since I started hunting (30+ years) this year. My dad and I always would cut up the deer that he or I had shot and spend the time telling stories and catching up on all the BS. Lost him suddenly in September to a blood clot in his heart. If I would bring a buck home he would always say "he would've been bigger next year" till I started shooting some 7-8 years old. Then he would say they would be more tender if you wouldn't let them get so old!

Comment

Blessed enough to arrow a decent 7 point this morning. Snapped a few photos then I de-boned it in the field. Brought the meat to my garage where I cut it into roasts and fajita sized chunks, I would bring a pan in to my wife and she would wrap and label them. Took maybe an hour doing it together. We had family coming for a few days so we made a lot of roasts to cut up later as we need them for various meals to speed up the process.

Comment

Working...
                                X