No announcement yet.

Taking a break...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a happy medium you can do instead, I’ve never taken any of my deer to a processor.

However, I don’t completely break stuff down into the finished products any more, trimming all the silver skin etc as I’m deboning, it just takes way too long.

Instead, I’ll break it down into 2-3 lb roasts and vacuum seal them. I put all the trim in a separate bag and I do portion out and remove the silver skin from the back straps.

When I want to make a stew or something I just pull out a roast and go about cubing and trimming it at that point, it only takes 10-15 minutes for that meal.

I still need to take a Saturday and have a grinding party to make sausage.

Comment

Quality versus quantity

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      ...from cutting my meat. I have cut up 2 deer this year, working on 2 others, and it is work, I tell ya! I am meticulous about cutting out all silverskin, cartilage, and membrane! Anybody else as meticulous about trimming their wild game? My back is hurting!

Good grief! I feel like others I have criticized for starting "poor me" threads! Just shoot me and put me out of my misery!!!
      Same here Sir! Doesn’t matter whether it is whiskey, wild game, or women. Quality always beats quantity.

Comment

Did it once.I made tamales once,also.You'll never hear me complain about processing prices,or tamale prices.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

By yourself a nice chair, organized racks of supplies, a big countertop at the right height, set up a tv, make it comfortable and enjoyable.

Comment

I done 4 this year and never fired a shot..Gona choot something for my freezer pretty quick ....

I enjoy processing the only bad part is Cleaning up...

As far as having them Processed ... have only eaten some processed.And most taste what I call Gamey (half-spoiled)...I think its from Deer hanging with skin on and insides not properly cleaned,(for Days even Weeks) before they get Processed..

I myself have processed 100s in my 74y... I had a few that were tuff (old deer)and a few marginal taste (not sure)..But 95% great...

Am I a great butcher NO, am I a butcher by trade NO...I mandate that Deer is quickly cleaned /washed /put on ice and drained and iced for a few days.. Gut shot make them Marginal to start with....

Comment

Wow for moment I thought you were signing off here. Now that I see what you are talking about. I have my wife do all mine. When she says I'm done I go back and inspect it . And if it is not up to par I make her redo it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I hear ya man. I complain about it at time but when I'm done I'm reminded it's a labor of love.

One thing to try is adjusting the table height. Most work tables are simply too short for processing and keeps you stooped over causing back fatigue.

Keep at it old top and this first world problem will pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I had 26 years as a meat cutter/butcher when I left the grocery business and processed all of mine and my families till 2 years ago. I have a processor (JT`S deer processing) in Stephenville that I trust 100 % and took it to him for the first time 2 years ago and will probably not process another one. It is way to easy to just field dress it , throw in the back of the truck and let someone else do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    I hear ya man. I complain about it at time but when I'm done I'm reminded it's a labor of love.

One thing to try is adjusting the table height. Most work tables are simply too short for processing and keeps you stooped over causing back fatigue.

Keep at it old top and this first world problem will pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                    Bought a folding plastic table at Home Depot or Lowe’s and opened it up in the store to figure out what size PVC sleeves over the metal tube legs, then bought 10’ for a couple bucks. Lifted the table to about 44” and loving it. Basically it’s at bar height and now we’ve acquired a couple of stools, grab some beers turn on music or tv in the garage and make the best of it. Cutting deer at the kids table is bad on the back.

Comment

It’s become the defacto work bench, hang out at spot in the garage and anytime we go to a potluck/family gathering.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You guys have given me some good ideas. I like the idea of the pvc to raise the height of the table.

We have a walk-in cooler at the cleaning station where I hunt, so we skin them, quarter without gutting, right after the kill, and put the quarters in the cooler until we leave. The meat then goes into my ice chests covered with ice, tilted with the drain open, and stays there when I get home for 7-14 days until I get time to process them.

Comment

That raised table + a pair of crocs and you'd be real comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                            That raised table + a pair of crocs and you'd be real comfortable
                            What color crocs?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              ...from cutting my meat. I have cut up 2 deer this year, working on 2 others, and it is work, I tell ya! I am meticulous about cutting out all silverskin, cartilage, and membrane! Anybody else as meticulous about trimming their wild game? My back is hurting!

Good grief! I feel like others I have criticized for starting "poor me" threads! Just shoot me and put me out of my misery!!!
                              Yes I am very particular about wild game fat, cartilage, membrane etc. I work hard to get 99.5 % pure venison meat. So I can relate. Merry Christmas

Comment

I've been processing my own all my hunting life. My grandfather use to say, "it'll all grind up," and just throw it all in the grinder.

I'm more meticulous, and want just clean meat to be my food. I end up with a sore back, and wore out because of it, but it's worth it to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X