East Texas deer vs South Texas deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Tell the people hunting First Point or the Lincoln ranch that. I think no matter where you hunt, pressure a deer herd heavily and they will respond accordingly regardless of geographical location.
    Yep....100%

I grew up hunting in NE TX, but, i've been lucky enough to hunt KS, Davis Island in the middle of the MS, prime river property in AR, and some of the best ranches in west and south TX. Pressure is the numero uno factor on how tough the deer are to hunt IMOP.

But there are other important factors to consider.....

There is NO question that to kill a quality buck, let's say 130"-140" +, is MUCH more difficult in E TX. Much smaller properties as a rule with much more access via quality roads. So poachers have much easier ingress/egress, etc. On top of that, the attitude of E TX hunters, until very recent times, has been if its got horns its down.

The result being buck to doe ratios WAY out of whack and FAR fewer older bucks. The occasional older bucks that survive to their prime years are almost impossible to see, much less get a crosshair on. There's simply not many of them and they're VERY smart....nocturnal, etc.

In south Texas, from the very first time I hunted there 30 years ago, the attitude was MUCH more about balancing the herd by removing doe and allowing bucks to gain some age. The habitat was a thousand times easier to hunt.... pear flats, senderos, even the places with thick live oaks, canyons, etc were nothing compared to the thick stuff in most of east TX.

So much better buck to doe ratio equals MUCH more competition within the buck herd, which is comprised of much older bucks, which equates to more daylight rutting activity and by much older bucks, plus MUCH easier opportunities to get an eyeball on a good buck.

When I took the many lessons I learned chasing mature bucks in the creek bottoms, switch cane flats, and overgrown and select/clear cut pine forests of NE TX/SW AR to KS, South and West TX, etc it was shockingly easy to get myself in position to locate and kill them if I wanted to do so.

Just the thought of riding around in a high rack in east TX makes me laugh.....😉
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-13-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

All the high speed chicken feed in East Texas is maybe part of the reason they don't sleep

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

East tx deer taste much better. Taste like vanilla

Comment

Weeeelllll, I am that guy that has lived/hunted NE Texas my whole life AND hunted the deer at First Point. My 2 buddies and I, all from NE Texas, were talking bout how much LESS spooky the deer at First Point were than “our deer” back at home. We went down there thinking it would be near impossible to get a shot cuz of all we heard bout those ninja deer down there. Just wasn’t the case, least not in our experience. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Thats cause Lee is too much a prettyboy and under armor dont make youpon camo
            Youpon camo... hahah that's a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Hard for me to judge age on deer down there but if he was in east tx he would be 2.9.
              You know east tx deer age faster. Its the stress from log trucks and spot lights. Stress!

South tx deer are used to the hunters pouring out their lattes in the feed pen

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                East tx deer taste much better. Taste like vanilla

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                  Weeeelllll, I am that guy that has lived/hunted NE Texas my whole life AND hunted the deer at First Point. My 2 buddies and I, all from NE Texas, were talking bout how much LESS spooky the deer at First Point were than “our deer” back at home. We went down there thinking it would be near impossible to get a shot cuz of all we heard bout those ninja deer down there. Just wasn’t the case, least not in our experience. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                  So yall tagged out on that trip?
                  Last edited by rtp; 11-13-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I hunted first point many years ago. I thought if a little corn was good alot would be moe better. Not a good idea [emoji13]

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                      South Texas deer recently made headlines.

Edit: Pointing out small bodies... racks on south Texas deer are gigantic.
                      Don't think you have ever hunted South Texas. You may be referring to hill country or maybe Coastal South Texas. Our mature deer pre rut will tip the scales close to 230 lbs with 210 to 220 being the norm. Some places heavier, depending on rain and feed intake.

Never have hunted in East Texas but if it's that tuff don't really care too. My ADD is needs to stay entertained so I need to be seeing game constantly. If I only saw three deer a hunt I'd start duck hunting again and leave the deer alone.
                      Last edited by Muddy Bud; 11-13-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Both East and West deer are alike. In the East they take 2 steps and and disappear behind the Pine Curtain. In the South they take 2 steps and melt in to a wall of brush.
                        They are both ghost!

I like watching them come in from 1500 yards out in our part of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                          Don't think you have ever hunted South Texas. You may be referring to hill country or maybe Coastal South Texas. Our mature deer pre rut will tip the scales close to 230 lbs with 210 to 220 being the norm. Some places heavier, depending on rain and feed intake.

Never have hunted in East Texas but if it's that tuff don't really care too. My ADD is needs to stay entertained so I need to be seeing game constantly. If I only saw three deer a hunt I'd start duck hunting again and leave the deer alone.
                          I was telling my dentist the other day, if I had to go back to hunting east Texas, I would give it up and fish full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            I was telling my dentist the other day, if I had to go back to hunting east Texas, I would give it up and fish full time.
                            Dentist now that is funny [emoji23][emoji23] [emoji23].

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              Dentist now that is funny [emoji23][emoji23] [emoji23].

Oddly enough, I graduated high school with him. He is a excellent dentist, but I wouldn't expect someone who lives in Shepherd to know much about that.

Comment

Hell at my age I use mule tape for floss

Comment

Working...
                                X