Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read this again. Can you pm me the cost details when you get a chance

Comment

Very cool trip and well told story. Interested to know about the overall cost. Sounds like the experience of a lifetime.

Comment

Thanks for sharing and taking us along on an adventure of a lifetime.

Comment

Heckuva story and write-up. Thank you!

Comment

Went through some of my notes and paperwork this weekend to breakdown numbers for some of you guys that were curious. The numbers aren’t exact but close enough to get a pretty good idea. Another thing to take into consideration is that some of these costs can be taken out, reduced, or added on. All this will depend on where and time afield.

Tags and license
            NR Moose tag: 1000$
            NR Black Bear tag: 450$
            NR hunting license: 160-265$

Airfare:
            Round trip to ANC: 350-800$
            This will all depend on day of the week you choose to fly as well as when you book the flight. The average is usually 400-600 that I’ve seen. Luggage, different airlines have different checked luggage policy. I would suggest Alaska airlines as they are by far the best and make things much easier.

Puddle jumper flight within AK: 60-400$
            This again depends on day of week, time, which airline. *But, depending on which air charter you hire to get you transported you may not even need to do this. Or you can rent a car. There are several options to try and save money here.

Bush flight: 400-1400$ per hour
            This is highly variable. All dependent on amount of gear, number of hunters, weather(flight route). *this is where it can really benefit going as light as comfortably possible

Rafts: 75-150$ per day

All of this gets divided by 2-4 people. There you have it, an affordable hunt for anyone to at least do once in their lifetime that they previously thought impossible. Obviously there will be other costs pertaining to the trip such as research with buying usgs maps, books, gear, food, luggage, etc. But, by thinking outside the box you can save money on a lot of those costs such as buying used gear or having food shipped to your transporters address via amazon prime instead of taking it on the airline as checked luggage, taking your pack as carry-on, taking the foam out of your gun case and packing it with your gear, etc.
            Last edited by diamond10x; 10-07-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              This has been a great thread to enjoy.

What are some things you would do differently next time?
              Any gear you wish you had or would rather not have brought?
              I wouldn’t have wasted time hunting where there was such a high concentration of grizzly sign even with them being occupied by salmon. A big one, take something besides just a journal to keep myself occupied during the day, like a book, because it gets pretty boring at times.

Definitely take a wood saw per person not just for the group. Will greatly cut down on time when having to cut strainers and jams out, firewood, as well as building things like meat poles, racks, caches, etc

Comment

Thank you OP. I would have never guessed the price would have been that affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  Went through some of my notes and paperwork this weekend to breakdown numbers for some of you guys that were curious. The numbers aren’t exact but close enough to get a pretty good idea. Another thing to take into consideration is that some of these costs can be taken out, reduced, or added on. All this will depend on where and time afield.

Tags and license
                  NR Moose tag: 1000$
                  NR Black Bear tag: 450$
                  NR hunting license: 160-265$

Airfare:
                  Round trip to ANC: 350-800$
                  This will all depend on day of the week you choose to fly as well as when you book the flight. The average is usually 400-600 that I’ve seen. Luggage, different airlines have different checked luggage policy. I would suggest Alaska airlines as they are by far the best and make things much easier.

Puddle jumper flight within AK: 60-400$
                  This again depends on day of week, time, which airline. *But, depending on which air charter you hire to get you transported you may not even need to do this. Or you can rent a car. There are several options to try and save money here.

Bush flight: 400-1400$ per hour
                  This is highly variable. All dependent on amount of gear, number of hunters, weather(flight route). *this is where it can really benefit going as light as comfortably possible

Rafts: 75-150$ per day

All of this gets divided by 2-4 people. There you have it, an affordable hunt for anyone to at least do once in their lifetime that they previously thought impossible. Obviously there will be other costs pertaining to the trip such as research with buying usgs maps, books, gear, food, luggage, etc. But, by thinking outside the box you can save money on a lot of those costs such as buying used gear or having food shipped to your transporters address via amazon prime instead of taking it on the airline as checked luggage, taking your pack as carry-on, taking the foam out of your gun case and packing it with your gear, etc.
                  Bush flight 400-1400 per hour? That just while your in the plane or their flight back also?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    I wouldn’t have wasted time hunting where there was such a high concentration of grizzly sign even with them being occupied by salmon. A big one, take something besides just a journal to keep myself occupied during the day, like a book, because it gets pretty boring at times.

Definitely take a wood saw per person not just for the group. Will greatly cut down on time when having to cut strainers and jams out, firewood, as well as building things like meat poles, racks, caches, etc
                    Thanks for answering. And congrats again on an incredible hunt; I'm certain you inspired others into highly considering this type of adventure. My buddies and I are discussing it around anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      Bush flight 400-1400 per hour? That just while your in the plane or their flight back also?
                      Air time for the plane. So their flight back like you said. If your destination is an hour away, you will get charged for 2 hours of flight time.

Comment

Awesome hunt and write up. Wish you would've put one down also.

Comment

Awesome write up. Enjoyed the ride.

Comment

Awesome man. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Incredible adventure. Thanks for taking the time to put the write-up & pics together in the thread. Congrats to you guys on a successful hunt!

Comment

Heck of a hunt/ adventure/ write-up. Thanks for sharing. Congrats to your dad on the bull!

Comment

Working...
                                X