Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
    Following...

On the same note...how would you guys recommend getting WiFi over to your shop - a seperate modem/router? We will have a "game room" over in the shop and it will be about 200' from the house...
    I would recommend running conduit under ground with cat5 in it then put an access point in your shop for the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
      I would recommend running conduit under ground with cat5 in it then put an access point in your shop for the best results.
      I just ran cat7 in 3/4” conduit from router in the house 175’ out to new shop. Seemed to be the best way to me. Cable & conduit is really pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
        Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
        I just ran cat7 in 3/4” conduit from router in the house 175’ out to new shop. Seemed to be the best way to me. Cable & conduit is really pretty cheap.

Thanks guys. Hadn't had a chance to ask our builder about it as we just finished up slabs last week for both.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Meant to add; Google can kiss my ***. I’ll do everything I can to NOT support them.

Yes sir! I just moved my safari to duck duck go search engine and wayz for maps. No more google for me.

Great thread. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following...

On the same note...how would you guys recommend getting WiFi over to your shop - a seperate modem/router? We will have a "game room" over in the shop and it will be about 200' from the house...
            What's your expectation of bandwidth? If you run buried cat 5 you're capped at 100mbs, you probably won't care... but the limit would be there. It will be relatively reliable until something chews through it, etc Personally i would get get an extender with an external antenna and point it at the house, 200' would be pushing it, but overall I've ditched wires for anything that isn't just super convenient in my office. The max length for cat5 is 328 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
              What's your expectation of bandwidth? If you run buried cat 5 you're capped at 100mbs, you probably won't care... but the limit would be there. It will be relatively reliable until something chews through it, etc Personally i would get get an extender with an external antenna and point it at the house, 200' would be pushing it, but overall I've ditched wires for anything that isn't just super convenient in my office. The max length for cat5 is 328 feet.

The problem with using everything wireless is us folks that don’t live in the city with a super fast connection lose a noticeable amount of speed using wireless vs wired.

I wired every TV or other critical location. I could use wireless but with streaming I need all the speed I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                Streaming TV or video games at a maximum..? We are building in the country but I'm not sure if we even have high speed internet out here yet. I'll likely have a dish out on the shop for football, etc. but it seems that everyone is cutting cable and would like to have that option available if we eventually have high-speed internet capabilities.

Comment

Ubiquity is the way to go. Hardwired AP's will outperform mesh every day of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                    If you can still run a cable for separate access points from your router then you should do that setup. You will suffer speed loss with a mesh system for that size house. Mesh should really only be used when it is not possible to run a wire.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    I have cat5 all through the house and have Ubiquiti APs in the garage and top of the stairs in the living room. I can also rely on my router's wifi. That makes 3 networks saturating my house in wifi.
                    Bingo!!

Comment

First world problems!

Comment

If you have the option to hardwire the rooms, then do that....
                        If not, Google Mesh is the stuff !!!! The 3 puck box will cover a very large house....
                        Speeds are great and the mgmt of it is very easy on your phone to do.....
                        Love ours....

Comment

I’m using google mesh (3 stations) but have them hard wired w/ cat5.

Works very well including the app which allows me to shut the kid’s access off at bedtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
                            Guy at Best Buy told me this setup. Still have not purchased
                            I have this Orbi. Love it. Have the best speeds that I have ever had.

Comment

Following...

I bought a Linksys Velop mesh system with 3 pack like this one https://www.linksys.com/us/p/WHW0103?%3fcb= about a year ago. I have 2 of the nodes in my house. The other one is in a mother-in-law type house about 50 yards from the closest node. I am running a Ring Alarm floodlight cam off of it with no issues. I could probably move one of the nodes in my house to my shop which is another 50 yards to get WiFi in my shop. I haven't tried that yet, but may at some point. Being a metal building, the signal might not go through the walls. That's something I will just have to try. I have been very happy with the system, and speed tests show WiFi speed a little over 200 Mbps, which 200 is what I am paying for through Suddenlink.

Comment

I have the Linksys Velop and it works great in my house. Have had 2 TVs streaming, XBox streaming, 2 iPads streaming, and laptop still showed 235 Mbps download speeds on it. Works greats and gives some basic parental controls. I've since turned off the parental controls on it as I got a Disney Circle device and it works much better and lets me set different levels on each device.

If parental controls aren't a concern, I'd probably have gone with Orbi.

Comment

Working...
                                X