Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

WiFi Coverage for Large Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some reviews on mesh systems. It's 3 years old, but....

Comment

I ran a cable to a separate building and used a netgear at the building
      Worked good but had a different login . Lightning got it so I got one from att
      It works good to and has the same login as th modem. Netgear was $100
      att was $50

Comment

I bought the TP-Link Deco wifi mesh system trying to save a buck... you get what you pay for. It is OKAY. Orbi & Google mesh seem to have much better reviews.

Comment

I have cat5 all through the house and have Ubiquiti APs in the garage and top of the stairs in the living room. I can also rely on my router's wifi. That makes 3 networks saturating my house in wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
            Does the Google mesh system have a modem built in or do you still need a modem to pair up with them? Really like the looks of the Ubiquiti system linked below, however they are access points and not wireless mesh pucks. Not an issue if I have any kind of Ethernet system in the new house, but I won’t know until we move in next week.

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System UAP-3 (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EORRBW..._17ksDbJFSZAC6
            Ubiquiti has a mesh system as well, you would have to use the pro series Ap's I believe, but then could add these antennas for better coverage for areas that either do not have network cables or cover outdoor areas.

Comment

I have the Linksys velop 3 node. I have a single story 3200 sq ft house and it covers everything inside as well as to my gate that is 40 yards away. I was also able to add a node in my 1200sq ft metal building out to cover that. No problems what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                I have the Linksys velop 3 node. I have a single story 3200 sq ft house and it covers everything inside as well as to my gate that is 40 yards away. I was also able to add a node in my 1200sq ft metal building out to cover that. No problems what so ever.
                That's what I like to hear. My 1200sqft shop is about 150' from the house.
                Right now I can just barely get wifi from the house if the roll-up door is open. Luckily the door faces the house. Door closed, I get nothing.

Comment

My house is 7000 sq ft over 3 floors and I use all Luxul equipment. I have a rack in my basement with all the routers and switches ect. and I have 3 or 4 access points around the house. All works great except that I and in the country and have to run it all on satellite internet that varies in speed and reliability.

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have to be careful with Google appliances, they auto update etc, sometimes doing things you wouldn't approve of. What you want is a true mesh system. Beware! Not everything that says "mesh" on the box is a true mesh system. Some use traditional routers with extenders, and claim mesh, different tech. Not bad, just not nearly as good for covering large areas in a more seamless manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                        Have to be careful with Google appliances, they auto update etc, sometimes doing things you wouldn't approve of. What you want is a true mesh system. Beware! Not everything that says "mesh" on the box is a true mesh system. Some use traditional routers with extenders, and claim mesh, different tech. Not bad, just not nearly as good for covering large areas in a more seamless manner.

Yup, using a booster with our current setup and you need to manually move from one network to another if going from router to extender. The mesh system should pick up seamlessly from one puck to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                          Man you guys make me feel like trailer trash in my 2000 SF house.

All I see are $$$$ for electric bill.
                          My 1200 sqft duplex still breaks my heart each month with energy consumption.

Comment

Following...

On the same note...how would you guys recommend getting WiFi over to your shop - a seperate modem/router? We will have a "game room" over in the shop and it will be about 200' from the house...

Comment

About to start house build that’s almost 5200 sq ft, 2 story. Living in guest house barndo that’s 2,000 sq ft and only 20’ from main house build. Would also like WiFi out in outdoor entertainment area. And if possible down in my shop which is 150’ away. I assumed I would need to run cat5/cat6 to all these areas from main house but after looking at Best Buy yesterday products like Orbi don’t use hard lines. My concern with doing that you don’t get much WiFi thru the metal buildings(barndo and shop). So I don’t know if it’s worth it to run a switch at the main house and just use a separate WiFi network for the barndo and shop and then do a mesh system for the main house and outdoor space? What’s yalls thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

great thread...…learning a lot..….ours sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X