Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wind turbines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
    My corn goes to Mex, but

.... I will put solar beneath turbines and grow medicinal herb and eat my cattle, bbq is in!
    Price the sprigging machine for hemp first. Lol, but I like the way you think

Comment

From what I've read on the subject, the economic viability/profitability of US windfarms has been driven by the federal production tax credit which has been phasing out beginning in 2016 and will expire at the end of this year.

If this credit or a similar credit is not enacted or renewed (which likely won't happen while Trump is president), then future projects will stop. Currenf projects that begin electricity production by the end of.the year or that have spent at least 5% of projected.capital.requirements (or something.like that) by year end will be grandfathered in and receive the credit for 10.years. Those that meet the 5% invested/spent safeharbor are required to complete.construction within 4 years (again, or something close to that).

Basically, without renewal of the PTC or enactment of a new similar credit, new construction will slow down.and cease by the end of 2023. The current projects and grandfathered projects will remain, and, in Texas, decommissioning and removal will be based.on individual lease terms. To my knowledge, Texas has no.regulations requiring clean up or.removal of the turbines though a handful of states have enacted such legislation.

Comment

Not enough to have to look at them but there’s plenty of landowners that will take nuclear waste for the right $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          I know that EVERY land buyer I have recently worked with or am currently working for has explicitly stated NO WIND TURBINES. I've heard a realistic income figure is $1000-$1500/mo per, but don't quote me on that. Personally, I wish they would all go away.
          Boy they sure have screwed up the skyline north of Brady.. I can see many of those ugly azz things while sitting in camp..

Our land owner is in "talks" with that same operation at the moment.. If it pans out we are done.. GONE... It will be a very sad day..

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut 99 View Post
            Wind lease terms vary quite a bit, but general rules of thumb are: $4,000 to $8,000 per turbine, $3,000 to $4,000 per megawatt of capacity, or 2-4% of gross revenues. Larger turbines should translate to larger payments. Compensation packages typically are offered as fixed yearly payments.
            At the plant I manage we generate about 1500 mw, it's not that often we see 3-4k a MW hour. Not saying we don't.

Comment

None in my Brown Co. right now. Strong opposition from locals.
              Unfortunately, I am near the county line and get to watch them anyway.
              It will be interesting in the future when they are no longer in service.
              TRRC watches abandoned wells. Not sure who will be overseeing this.
              FAA?

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                I get 3 turbines and my parents get 2, it’s a 35 year deal and we already regret signing
                Where are these towers going up?

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  Boy they sure have screwed up the skyline north of Brady.. I can see many of those ugly azz things while sitting in camp..

Our land owner is in "talks" with that same operation at the moment.. If it pans out we are done.. GONE... It will be a very sad day..
                  Ya we can see those in Melvin from our camp. Gotta be 15 or 20 miles away. Yuck.

Comment

Ya we can see those in Melvin from our camp. Gotta be 15 or 20 miles away. Yuck.
                    My best friend buts up to them. Was one of the most scenic areas in TX, not that I’m hating on P or F, I get it from a monetary perspective, I see why both ranches did it, they are for profit ranches.

Most those leases where actually signed in 2009/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      My best friend buts up to them. Was one of the most scenic areas in TX, not that I’m hating on P or F, I get it from a monetary perspective, I see why both ranches did it, they are for profit ranches.

Most those leases where actually signed in 2009/2010
                      You think they mess up y'alls views? We hunt on that land!

Comment

He bought the gap for a reason

Comment

Wind turbines being installed on the Roche Ranch outside of Woodsboro as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                            From what I've read on the subject, the economic viability/profitability of US windfarms has been driven by the federal production tax credit which has been phasing out beginning in 2016 and will expire at the end of this year.

If this credit or a similar credit is not enacted or renewed (which likely won't happen while Trump is president), then future projects will stop. Currenf projects that begin electricity production by the end of.the year or that have spent at least 5% of projected.capital.requirements (or something.like that) by year end will be grandfathered in and receive the credit for 10.years. Those that meet the 5% invested/spent safeharbor are required to complete.construction within 4 years (again, or something close to that).

Basically, without renewal of the PTC or enactment of a new similar credit, new construction will slow down.and cease by the end of 2023. The current projects and grandfathered projects will remain, and, in Texas, decommissioning and removal will be based.on individual lease terms. To my knowledge, Texas has no.regulations requiring clean up or.removal of the turbines though a handful of states have enacted such legislation.
                            Texas passed a new bill earlier this year to cover decommissioning. However the requirement is not retroactive only on new contracts. Here's a link...
                            As of September 1, 2019, Texas law will impose requirements for wind lease agreements to contain language whereby the wind farm operator agrees to remove its materials at the end of the lease, and provides a financial assurance to support this obligation.  These terms are required in every wind lease signed after the effective date and may not be waived by the parties. Key Stats House Bill 2845 modified the Texas Utilities Code by adding Section 301.0001, titled “Wind Power Facility Agreements.” [Read bill text here.]  The bill... Read More →

Comment

Originally posted by mark1j View Post
                              I work in the electric utility business. I do not work directly with the wind turbines but I can tell you what little I do know regarding generation and transmission. We have 40 year contracts with many different wind farms. Our electric grid is supplied by coal, gas, nuclear, hydro, wind and solar. Hydro being the cheapest and wind and solar being the most expensive per MW/HR. With the wind power contracts we are buying MW's for anywhere from $59-79 dollars a MW (transmission interconnection fees are also figured into this). If the wind turbine is turning we are required to buy it even if we can produce it for cheaper. Our cheapest hydro units can produce for $2/MW. Our combined cycle and combustion turbines are anywhere from $9/MW to $25/MW. Our coal units run anywhere from $17/MW to $28/MW. The nuke units stay base loaded at around $5-6/MW. Someone with more knowledge may correct me but each wind turbine only produces around +-3/MW and can only operate within a certain wind speed range. As with any "green" power, they are not a reliable source of generation compared to coal, gas and nuclear. I have been told that the O and M costs are very high and without govt subsidies they would have a hard time making any profits. The cost of wind power or any "green energy" is high and unreliable and that cost will eventually make its way to the consumer. In my opinion it is crazy to buy megawatts for $59-79/mw when we can make it for so much cheaper and with a more reliable source. As I said at the beginning, I don't work directly with the wind power side of the business so maybe somebody with more knowledge and info will chime in.
                              I been making power for over 20yrs.He is spot on. I do feel wind and solar has its place but not at its current price. Im lead to believe the government subsidizes Wind energy an average of $25 to $50 a mwh and more for solar.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                                At the plant I manage we generate about 1500 mw, it's not that often we see 3-4k a MW hour. Not saying we don't.
                                Not Very often. At one time $1000 MW was a norm. Base load units and no cycling.The book was rewritten when the Enron crooks got caught.

Comment

Working...
                                X