Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wind turbines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan C View Post
    Nothing but a huge scam. The companies come in promising the works to get guys to sign up. Then that company sells to another company and the price drops but the guys stay in because it’s still pretty good. Then that company sells and the price drops again. They end up getting a small fraction of the first promise.
    Your friend has a crappy lawyer.

Comment

We have enough of these wind turbines for everyone. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan C View Post
        Nothing but a huge scam. The companies come in promising the works to get guys to sign up. Then that company sells to another company and the price drops but the guys stay in because it’s still pretty good. Then that company sells and the price drops again. They end up getting a small fraction of the first promise.
        A lease is a lease regardless who buys the existing lease.

Comment

Y’all are all crazy. Let’s say you only get paid 1k per month for each turbine. That’s 12k a year. 480k for a 40 year lease on 1 turbine. If you have 10 turbines your looking at 4.8 million dollars for doing nothing. Take that money and buy you another place and let the wind farm pay for it. My dad killed his biggest buck ever sitting on the pad of one those things overlooking a draw. Also a good way to check the wind direction when your hunting lol.

Comment

I'm neither pro nor con on these things. Not pretty, but then I'm not getting a monthly check from them either.

Since all the 'Climate Change' crusaders are out to eliminate fossil fuels, it would be really good to know the true costs of these things with & without subsidies.

Can we really afford them? Are they cheaper than fossil fuels or more costly? - since they are being subsidized & costs aren't talked about much, I have an idea what the answer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
              Y’all are all crazy. Let’s say you only get paid 1k per month for each turbine. That’s 12k a year. 480k for a 40 year lease on 1 turbine. If you have 10 turbines your looking at 4.8 million dollars for doing nothing. Take that money and buy you another place and let the wind farm pay for it. My dad killed his biggest buck ever sitting on the pad of one those things overlooking a draw. Also a good way to check the wind direction when your hunting lol.
              How much land does it take to put up 10 turbines? That many on your property and your property is worthless (minus the turbine income).

I'd do it for 3k per turbine..maybe. But the contract would have to be in my favor which isn't going to happen either LOL

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
              I'm neither pro nor con on these things. Not pretty, but then I'm not getting a monthly check from them either.

Since all the 'Climate Change' crusaders are out to eliminate fossil fuels, it would be really good to know the true costs of these things with & without subsidies.

Can we really afford them? Are they cheaper than fossil fuels or more costly? - since they are being subsidized & costs aren't talked about much, I have an idea what the answer is.
              LOL Yep.. I have a real good idea what the answer is also.

Comment

KX500 I read where the energy used to build just one wind turbine is more than the wind turbine will ever produce. Plus the climate change zealots don't understand that it takes petroleum based products to keep them lubed.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  How much land does it take to put up 10 turbines? That many on your property and your property is worthless (minus the turbine income).

I'd do it for 3k per turbine..maybe. But the contract would have to be in my favor which isn't going to happen either LOL

LOL Yep.. I have a real good idea what the answer is also.

Depends on the turbine size, my lease is one per quarter section(occupy roughly an acre each)

Show me any crop(legal) or Ag animal that will produce 12-18k per acre usage.

In my case I put them in irrigation pivot corners, worst case I would of lost an acre of CRP and program repayment (even though that was also put in contract as an addition to the lease payment , and pad revenue) if the CRP program still did corners....

This will be my second go around on turbine side. My first venture 15 years ago was better then CRP or Cattle lease so but not near as good as current contracts.
                  Last edited by Texans42; 08-05-2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

If you don’t, your neighbor will. Might as well be the one that makes the money off of it.

Comment

I work in the electric utility business. I do not work directly with the wind turbines but I can tell you what little I do know regarding generation and transmission. We have 40 year contracts with many different wind farms. Our electric grid is supplied by coal, gas, nuclear, hydro, wind and solar. Hydro being the cheapest and wind and solar being the most expensive per MW/HR. With the wind power contracts we are buying MW's for anywhere from $59-79 dollars a MW (transmission interconnection fees are also figured into this). If the wind turbine is turning we are required to buy it even if we can produce it for cheaper. Our cheapest hydro units can produce for $2/MW. Our combined cycle and combustion turbines are anywhere from $9/MW to $25/MW. Our coal units run anywhere from $17/MW to $28/MW. The nuke units stay base loaded at around $5-6/MW. Someone with more knowledge may correct me but each wind turbine only produces around +-3/MW and can only operate within a certain wind speed range. As with any "green" power, they are not a reliable source of generation compared to coal, gas and nuclear. I have been told that the O and M costs are very high and without govt subsidies they would have a hard time making any profits. The cost of wind power or any "green energy" is high and unreliable and that cost will eventually make its way to the consumer. In my opinion it is crazy to buy megawatts for $59-79/mw when we can make it for so much cheaper and with a more reliable source. As I said at the beginning, I don't work directly with the wind power side of the business so maybe somebody with more knowledge and info will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        If you think they’re ugly now, wait until the govt stops propping them up for no reason, and everyone realizes the maintenance isn’t worth it.

It's already to that point. They are only like 30% efficient to begin with. All foreign contracts. Etc, etc.. it's embarrassing what we have let happen

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                          No offense, but I will disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                            If you don’t, your neighbor will. Might as well be the one that makes the money off of it.
                            This is the exact attitude that has got us here...

Comment

Originally posted by mark1j View Post
                              I work in the electric utility business. I do not work directly with the wind turbines but I can tell you what little I do know regarding generation and transmission. We have 40 year contracts with many different wind farms. Our electric grid is supplied by coal, gas, nuclear, hydro, wind and solar. Hydro being the cheapest and wind and solar being the most expensive per MW/HR. With the wind power contracts we are buying MW's for anywhere from $59-79 dollars a MW (transmission interconnection fees are also figured into this). If the wind turbine is turning we are required to buy it even if we can produce it for cheaper. Our cheapest hydro units can produce for $2/MW. Our combined cycle and combustion turbines are anywhere from $9/MW to $25/MW. Our coal units run anywhere from $17/MW to $28/MW. The nuke units stay base loaded at around $5-6/MW. Someone with more knowledge may correct me but each wind turbine only produces around +-3/MW and can only operate within a certain wind speed range. As with any "green" power, they are not a reliable source of generation compared to coal, gas and nuclear. I have been told that the O and M costs are very high and without govt subsidies they would have a hard time making any profits. The cost of wind power or any "green energy" is high and unreliable and that cost will eventually make its way to the consumer. In my opinion it is crazy to buy megawatts for $59-79/mw when we can make it for so much cheaper and with a more reliable source. As I said at the beginning, I don't work directly with the wind power side of the business so maybe somebody with more knowledge and info will chime in.
                              Fairly correct per my research.

Comment

They will all be bird nests and eye sores when everyone realizes that nuclear is where it’s at.

I was told this by a petroleum engineer, and if bet on him over anyone trying to sell wind energy.

Comment

Working...
                                X